Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I wanted to ask if any of you had any close friendships with Millennials. I'm an early 90s Millennial and pretty much all of my closest friends are late 60s Gen Xers. I love them all very much and go to them for life advice all of the time, although I wonder at times how close they feel to me given that I'm the same age as their children, haha. But, generational/age differences shouldn't be a barrier to good friendship in my opinion.

If you have any close friendships with Millennials, what do you think of the friendship?

·
Registered
Modernist conscience
3,783 Posts
I am a millennial (born in '86), and I have two gen X friends: a man born in '75 and a woman born in '71. Both have the typically X no-nonsense attitude to life. The woman (she is a shopkeeper) perceives me as naive and somehow childish because of my interest in aliens, outer space, transhumanism.

I appreciate the fact that both Xers share my dislike for social media and most of 2010s pop culture.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am a millennial (born in '86), and I have two gen X friends: a man born in '75 and a woman born in '71. Both have the typically X no-nonsense attitude to life. The woman (she is a shopkeeper) perceives me as naive and somehow childish because of my interest in aliens, outer space, transhumanism.

I appreciate the fact that both Xers share my dislike for social media and most of 2010s pop culture.
86 barely qualify as a core millenial, you just made the cut from being one of those old wrinkly X/Y cuspers from 1985

·
Registered
Modernist conscience
3,783 Posts
Numerological debates are not fun, kids. I think of the generational boundaries as somewhat fuzzy. It's about your experiences. Many people like to mention cartoons, but remember one person stops viewing them at 10 while others view them until they are 15.

Example: Mark Zuckerberg and Amy Winehouse were both born in '84, but Zuck is a typical Millennial while Amy had many gen X traits.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have a lot of light friendships with millennials, but I only count a few people as close friends. Most of them haven't been alive long enough to make the cut yet. Of my relationships with millennials I have no problems with most of the ones I get to know. I think they get far more flack than they deserve, but I suspect that's been true of most generations.

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,308 Posts
86 barely qualify as a core millenial, you just made the cut from being one of those old wrinkly X/Y cuspers from 1985
I'm 84 and I remember when "millenial" first got used, to basically describe exactly me and my generation in the work force in the mid '00s.

All of the "who's a *real* millenial" talk came later, which made me think, hmm, I guess I am? Since the term first came around describing... us?

And yea, as has been mentioned. Zuckerberg was 84 and like the quintessential millenial.

What I don't understand is why people want to be included lol. It was kinda derogatory when it started (still is really). So entitled! etc.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was born in '90 and I have some friends on here that are older... I think. Or that's what they say. I mean it sounds like they were born in the 70's so they are like 20 years, my senior. It has been going well so far. We just chat about our experiences so far.
@Spacenik86 I am also interested in that stuff! Maybe its because we grew up with a lot of big alien movies. I remember people saying stuff about the 2000's going to be the years we went to space!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I am a millennial (born in '86)
My "kid" sister was born in '86. More specifically, she was born the day Chernobyl Reactor 4 melted down (April 26, 1986).

those old wrinkly X/Y cuspers from 1985
I'm 39 and people tell me I look 24. It's about 80% genetic and I know I get it from my mom's side of the family (we all look 10-15 years younger than we are). Other than that, my secret is that I don't smoke, I eat a balanced diet (incorporating lots of fresh vegetables but without nixing the meat), and I take regular mineral baths. That combo is your real "fountain of youth."

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,480 Posts
I was born in '90 and I have some friends on here that are older... I think. Or that's what they say. I mean it sounds like they were born in the 70's so they are like 20 years, my senior. It has been going well so far. We just chat about our experiences so far.
@Spacenik86 I am also interested in that stuff! Maybe its because we grew up with a lot of big alien movies. I remember people saying stuff about the 2000's going to be the years we went to space!
Hi Ashes!!!
You have friends in the Mafia forum! Come and visit us! We would all be so happy to see you there!!!!

·
Registered
Modernist conscience
3,783 Posts
My "kid" sister was born in '86. More specifically, she was born the day Chernobyl Reactor 4 melted down (April 26, 1986).

I'm 39 and people tell me I look 24. It's about 80% genetic and I know I get it from my mom's side of the family (we all look 10-15 years younger than we are). Other than that, my secret is that I don't smoke, I eat a balanced diet (incorporating lots of fresh vegetables but without nixing the meat), and I take regular mineral baths. That combo is your real "fountain of youth."
Mineral baths? I need to try them :)

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Mineral baths? I need to try them :)
This is the stuff I use.

Some years back, I had an outbreak of psoriasis that lasted more than a year. Started using that stuff and saw results within a week. After about a month, the psoriasis (which was on my right leg) was gone. I've used it regularly since then and haven't yet had another outbreak of psoriasis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man, I lost touch with all my Generation Xer friends(and relatives) growing up due to moving around a lot through out the 1970s and 1980s LOL. Even though we had land line phones back then, it's not the same today when you have Facebook or texting with smartphones to keep in touch with people that live far away. All my current few friends are Millennials and I got close to them in the U.S. Army.

·
Banned
11 Posts
I was born in 1974, and my wife in 1977. I have one younger sister born in 1976, my wife was once my younger sisters friend (which tells you the depths of my nerdiness). So I guess we are all Gen X. Not for any pop culture reason I don't think. My sister, an ENFJ, is a professor of race and gender (I believe my queer wife was one of her early research projects, as my sister is white and straight and I'm honestly baffled as to how she ended up defending people of color and gays in her work...but my wife didn't mind, apparently found my sister sympathetic and entertaining *cringe*).

I on the other hand am a Plain Jane ISFJ in social work. I wanted to help the poor and homeless, like Christ. I don't see a great deal of change in the homeless or poor by generation. Mostly battered women, single mothers, mentally ill people of all stripes, men with addictions, and random people of color to which you'd literally say "why are you here? Oh because you're black, what a crying shame."

I got off work not too long ago, maybe I'm ranting, but generation doesn't matter in most people I talk to each day and my wife and sister are X like me.

I do talk to one Millennial woman on a weekly basis. I guess you can say we are friends. I like the movies. She works part time on weekends, I think she teaches kids about Smokey the Bear otherwise. She reminds me a little of my sister and a little of me. She's always Overly Concerned like my sister. But like me she seems pretty to herself and works at the movie theater because she likes movies. She had this one cat tee shirt I love. She's nice to me. Is that a friend? I don't have lots. I prefer close ties.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have students who are Millenials and I really respect them. I think they are a great generation that has a lot of difficult things to face, but they are well able to deal with life the way it is now. I think the "Okay Boomer" meme is hilarious. I wish I could be involved with that silly meme, but it leapfrogs over our generation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the "Okay Boomer" meme is hilarious. I wish I could be involved with that silly meme, but it leapfrogs over our generation.
Tyler Durden says, "we're the middle children of history."

Anyway, to bring it back on topic: I went back to school in my 30's and made quite a few Millenial friends then - both at school and through church. In fact, my church friends became some of my closest friends ever, although my best friend there was a Gen Xer like me. In any event, I was always baffled by the ire directed at Millenials. Even if half of the stuff our generation and Baby Boomers said about them were true, what does that imply about us of the older generations? It seems no one who says these things ever considers that. Most of the time it was in a similar vein of what the older generations said about us Gen Xer's when we were in our 20's. I paid it no mind then, and I paid it no mind when people dogged on Millenials. The people who buy into the stereotypes without really getting to know anyone about whom these things are said is really doing themselves a disservice. You can learn something from anyone. But if someone else wants a dull life, I suppose that isn't my problem.

I have students who are Millenials and I really respect them. I think they are a great generation that has a lot of difficult things to face, but they are well able to deal with life the way it is now.
I also agree with Ravenetta here. The older generations didn't come of age and enter the job market in the wake of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, or facing a war with no end in sight in the case of some of the older Millenials.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm actually at the very tail of the Boomers (b. 10/64), but a few of my friends are in their 30's, so they are Millenials. My wife is also a Millenial. Once you get into your late twenties or so, the age of adult friends doesn't matter much. You are among mature adults.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this friend a few years ago who was a mature age student. He was born early in the 80s, like 1980-1982 or something. I was born in the first half of 1997. This could be seen as either a early millennial-early gen z friendship, a late gen x-late millennial friendship or a late gen x-early gen z friendship. We wouldn't really be atypical of any of those generations, so maybe just a "cusper" friendship

1 - 20 of 20 Posts