Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you get the chills from music? Or some other emotional reaction? Maybe a leaking eyeball or two, or a hard hitting feeling in your gut?

I do but I'm not particularly musical myself. Weird.

Not all music mind you as most of it is garbage these days. And I ain't talking about Ms. Shirley Manson from Garbage (whose voice has evoked some powerful feelings in some of their songs).

· Registered
INFP 4w5, 7w6, 9w1 Sp/Sx
2,456 Posts
Sometimes I feel a strong emotional response and sometimes not, but I can enjoy both just the same. Like, I can be very analytical about how a song sounds and the progression it makes, and then I’m like yo, this is sick.

· Premium Member
ISFP 6w5 (694)
7,461 Posts
I experience strong emotional reactions sometimes, or also sometimes kind of a mental stimulation, perhaps akin to how a lot of people are mentally stimulated by reading a book that they're enjoying. Its all in the sound of the music; what the lyrics are saying is kinda irrelevant to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Warp11

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here's a study, special people.
Although I listened to the song selections for the study and got nuthin. Power had a good beat but Kanye's vocals are mediocre. The other songs, meh.

On another note, some music sends me into fantasy land where I'll start creating images and scenes of whatever feels right with the music. I've always thought the person who creates a movie soundtrack has a cool and very important role to play.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I experience strong emotional reactions sometimes, or also sometimes kind of a mental stimulation, perhaps akin to how a lot of people are mentally stimulated by reading a book that they're enjoying. Its all in the sound of the music; what the lyrics are saying is kinda irrelevant to me.
Oh please don't tell me you don't appreciate Roger's incredible lyrics!!! Yes, David is the master of time and space but Roger gave those sounds some rational meaning.

I love INTJ misanthropy

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can get frisson from music, from what I recall, most people do.
I would have thought it was a standard physiological reaction that most humans have but apparently not. My stepfather says he does not experience it and neither does my partner. While my mom and I are very sensitive to it. And then there are those Ultra weird fuckers that claim they don't even like music at all. What the hell happened to their brain development? LOL

· Premium Member
ISFP 6w5 (694)
7,461 Posts
Oh please don't tell me you don't appreciate Roger's incredible lyrics!!! Yes, David is the master of time and space but Roger gave those sounds some rational meaning.

I love INTJ misanthropy
Yes, I know. Roger is a top tier lyricist. But its just the way I'm wired and how my brain processes hearing words. But I still actually like Roger more than David for a lot of his compositions because believe it or not a lot of them actually sound really cool. Plus, I think Roger seems a lot more interesting than David. Roger is the celeb I'd love to toke or down some beers with. But of course Syd is always gonna be my favorite.

I'm kinda different for a Floydian. I mean the typical thing is to hear that someone discovers Dark Side, The Wall, or something more popular like that at around the age 14 or something and falls in love with albums like that. For me it was more like I heard popular Pink Floyd songs on the radio. I thought they were kinda interesting, but I guess not enough to get me to buy any Pink Floyd.

So when I was living in a group home at around age 19, I was laying on my bed in my room that I was assigned with 3 other men. One of them was listening to The Piper At the Gates of Dawn, which for anyone who doesn't know is Pink Floyd's 1967 debut album that was mostly written by Syd Barrett. I thought it sounded really weird. He told me it was Pink Floyd. I was like "This is Pink Floyd???". He told me it was their first album that was led by Syd Barrett, unlike their later and more familiar stuff led by Roger Waters. I already thought Pink Floyd seemed kinda different, but this stuff was much weirder than their common radio hits, and it sounded like a completely different band.

So maybe 2 or 3 years later, I had a friend who told me about how Syd Barrett was supposedly schizophrenic, which in actuality is open for debate. But I found that really interesting that he was "schizo" like me and he wrote that weird music. So I decided to buy the CD and listen to it again. I fell in love with it. After all, I always loved the weirdest Beatles songs the best. But anyways, I soon fell in love with other weird obscure early Floyd without Syd as well. I love Floyd's first 5 albums, which are often overlooked or derided, even by fellow Floydians. I also learned to appreciate their popular stuff from there, but just not as much. Interestingly, Animals is my favorite from their popular period, which is often overlooked among their more commercial stuff.

...And thus this has led me to my exploration of other prog bands as well.

• Smile
Reactions: Warp11

· Registered
2,501 Posts
Song stuck in your head or are you creating new music?
It can be both, generally music works with the concepts of tension/relaxation, emotions can also be chained to those cycles, it is a quite "romantic" point of view to unite the intellect with emotions to create something that shows the spirit of the artist.
Music tends to be a story with its own emotional climaxes, it works like magic you reflect yourself into a sound structure.

Passion matters a lot, Beethoven himself said it... being completely lost in other worlds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts