Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title,

If you could pick any couple's relationship dynamic, who would it be and why?
You are allowed to pick more than one couple, but let's not get too carried away.

My pick would be Adam & Eve from Only Lovers Left Alive(2013).

Reasons:

1) Their bond is strong. It's a real unconditional love despite their open relationship. It's pretty much never ending and never needing to question.

2) I can absolutely relate to Adam's melancholy state; It's not quite as extreme to the point of suicide or ever
present, but I know that feeling.

3) Eve. Strong, smart, adventurous, sarcastic, self sufficient, witty, cultured, unapologetic, knows how to push Adam's buttons in a good way and to bring him out of his B.S every once in awhile.
-A real opposite to Adam's outlook but with a pure understanding and appreciation of him that isn't rooted out of pity or from a condescending nature.
-Her absolute love of/for life.

4) They're able to live a very simple lifestyle. They enjoy the finer things in life, but really know how to appreciate the really small things that matter when everything else is stripped away.

If you haven't seen the movie, you should. It's really rather touching in the feels.

How about you?

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I would have to say I'm a fan of my own work. Jen and Ian from my book have a really cool relationship. They tough it out through difficult situations and work together to be more than the sum of their parts. Ian is quiet, deep and mysterious while Jen is playful, energetic and open. They have some really quiet moments when they're alone and suddenly they change positions. Ian becomes the one who's bold and playful while Jen is the one who's quiet. They don't talk much about their romance but they both know exactly what the other is feeling. They also have their arguments but in the end neither can be mad at the other for very long. Their trust is absolute and they're always there to pick each other up when the other falls.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Lizzie and Darcy in Pride and Prejudice

I mean, who doesn't love a happy ending?

(The epilogue in the book described the marital relationship between Lizzie and Darcy. That, is my ideal.)

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Another I just remembered is the 1996 film Fargo.

Marge (a small town police chief) and Norm (an artist who paints mallards) Gunserson.

There's only a few scenes depicting this couple's marriage but it made a rather big impact in my mind. They respected and were supportive of each other's career. I could tell from the domestic scene and exchanges that the love is deep and abiding, the kind that long married couple that are still in love exhibit.

Daily life together is not going to be exciting or full of fireworks. How to sustain a connection? Both must put the other first.

It was still dark outside. Norm got up before Marge to cook breakfast and make coffee. They sat down to eat together, talk sparingly about their perspective day. Norm put a thick and warm hooded parka on Marge, walk her to the car and see her off to work. Every gesture spoke of care and love.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Movies:
I've always loved the Linus Larrabee/Sabrina Fairchild pairing from Sabrina (especially the newer version). Seeing her bring out the softer side from his hard exterior, and the way that he trusted her with a side of himself no one else knew was touching. The Joe Fox/Kathleen Kelly pairing from You've Got Mail appealed to me for the same reason.

Television:
Aeryn and John from Farscape. I can relate to her desire to be strong on her own, and having to learn to let down those walls and rely on her partner.

Books:
I agree with @chanteuse. I just adore Darcy and Lizzie's relationship. I wish I liked Emma more, because Mr. Knightly is so amazing, and I do like their interactions together, but I spend half the book wanting to slap her.
From young adult books, I identify very strongly with the Kim/Mairelon romance from Mairelon the Magician&Magician's Ward. It's one of those weird dynamics where I can identify equally with quirks from each character, and ditto for my partner. It's a bit like our relationship got put in a blender.

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

(The epilogue in the book described the marital relationship between Lizzie and Darcy. That, is my ideal.)
I've never had a desire to read or watch that until this post.

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always felt Tolkien and Edith's relationship to be the truly romantic kind, almost ideal and spiritual ( J.R.R. Tolkien and his wife Edith Bratt).
How did you come to know about their relationship?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I've never had a desire to read or watch that until this post.
Darcy is INTJ

The BBC mini series with Colin Firth as Darcy is the best IMO. The book is a fun read; never boring, things keep happening one after another.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How did you come to know about their relationship?
I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's work. It's in the biographies, Tolkien has talked about it and if you happened to read The Silmarillion, you are going to find about it anyway. Edith was the muse of Tolkien's writing. She is the inspiration behind Lúthien Tinúviel. (also Arwen (in The Lord of the Ring).

There is a famous account of how Tolkien and Edith had spent their free days walking in the country side, while he was in army. And after more than 50 years later he has said that, he can still remember how she sang and danced while he sat on the grass, spellbound. Edith's dance is said to have inspired his vision of the meeting of Beren and Lúthien.

At age 16, Tolkien fell in love with Edith Bratt, three years his senior. His guardian, a Catholic priest, was horrified that his ward was seeing a Protestant and ordered the boy to have no contact with Edith until he turned 21. Tolkien obeyed, pining after Edith for years until that fateful birthday, when he met with her under a railroad viaduct. She broke off her engagement to another man, converted to Catholicism, and the two were married for the rest of their lives. At Tolkien's instructions, their shared gravestone has the names "Beren" and "Luthien" engraved on it, a reference to the famous pair of star-crossed lovers.

Here's what he wrote to one of his sons few months after her death

"…I do not feel quite real or whole, and in a sense there is no one to talk to… we had shared all joys and griefs, and all opinions (in agreement or otherwise) so that I often feel myself thinking ‘I must tell Edith about this' - and then suddenly I feel like a castaway left on a barren island under a heedless sky after the loss of a great ship…"

"…I met the Luthien Tinuviel of my own personal ‘romance' with her long dark hair, fair face and starry eyes, and beautiful voice…. But now she has gone before Beren, leaving him indeed one-handed, but he has no power to move the inexorable Mandos…"

·
Registered
149 Posts
Movies:

Books:
I agree with @chanteuse. I just adore Darcy and Lizzie's relationship. I wish I liked Emma more, because Mr. Knightly is so amazing, and I do like their interactions together, but I spend half the book wanting to slap her.
I like Mr. Darcy & Mr. Knightly but my favourite Austen Hero is Henry Tilney ( I think he is an ENTP).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Joel Barish and Clementine from Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind. Rocky as their love was, the end of the movie is beautiful. The willingness to forgive each other and try again to explore the spark they had once lost is something I've been struggling with. That theme really just hits hard.

·
Registered
277 Posts

I don't usually admit this type of romance-ish stuff to other people, but after having read P&P for the first time (about a year ago), it made me smile that Elizabeth and Darcy genuinely enjoyed each others company (afterwards, when they weren't misunderstanding each other, lol). I find this was especially portrayed in the 1995 version of the movie.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm a Lizzie and Darcy fan as well. I always joke that my husband and I are them, because he is an INTJ and our behaviors are very similar to the characters.

I always liked Anita Blake and Jean Claude from the Laurell K Hamilton series. I only read up to book 11 though, after that it kind of turned into a smut series and losing a lot of the actual adventure..XD at least imo.

Also Yuna and Tidus from FFX game..lol

Andddd. Phoebe and Cole from the show Charmed. Epic sad romance. :/

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I don't usually admit this type of romance-ish stuff to other people, but after having read P&P for the first time (about a year ago), it made me smile that Elizabeth and Darcy genuinely enjoyed each others company (afterwards, when they weren't misunderstanding each other, lol). I find this was especially portrayed in the 1995 version of the movie.
Isn't it interesting that both words can be applied to these two? Darcy was proud (distain for country dancing) and Lizzie was prejudice (judging Darcy as prideful). Later Darcy was prejudice (his opinion on Jane not showing her affection to Mr. Bingley and Mrs Bennett's background) and Lizzie was prideful (turning down his marriage proposal because of his prejudicial stance).

Only when they realized that they should not misunderstand and admit their own misconceptions that they could build a path to marital bliss. :)

It's such a happy novel because it makes me smile every time, too. Whenever I was in a negative mood about relationships I popped in the 1995 BBC version into DVD player. A few hours later I'd be hopeful again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Isn't it interesting that both words can be applied to these two? Darcy was proud (distain for country dancing) and Lizzie was prejudice (judging Darcy as prideful). Later Darcy was prejudice (his opinion on Jane not showing her affection to Mr. Bingley and Mrs Bennett's background) and Lizzie was prideful (turning down his marriage proposal because of his prejudicial stance).

Only when they realized that they should not misunderstand and admit their own misconceptions that they could build a path to marital bliss. :)

It's such a happy novel because it makes me smile every time, too. Whenever I was in a negative mood about relationships I popped in the 1995 BBC version into DVD player. A few hours later I'd be hopeful again.

It's pretty genius on Jane Austen's part as a writer. I wonder if she intended the switch or if it just happened?

Before I read the book, I assumed it was just another ditzy, unrealistic, cliché-filled, barf-worthy story about a girl falling for some guy who happens to be all that and a bag of chips. It was to my surprise a well-written, entertaining story and it was like nothing I ever read before (especially the wording; I like the way they talked back then!) I'm saving my second reading of it for another time for when I might need it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love how this is turning into a Lizzie/Darcy discussion! haha

I wonder too if she made that pride and prejudice switch on purpose, very clever if so.

1995 version is also my favorite and I have to watch it every once in awhile. I also really like Emma Woodhouse and Mr. Knightly. Any guess for their types?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts