Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
* P/S Love can be that it's still somewhere in a part of your heart even when the person is no longer in your life although it doesn't stop you from growing or moving on* After all, there's many definitions of love..There's no reason to be too fixed. Anyway..........

What are the signs that you truly love someone? For me, it's

• Even when half of your dreams have come true and you have the best company with other people, you find yourself missing the company of that person when you're apart from the person. For some reason, nothing compares to the most personal, emotional, spiritual experiences you've had with that particular person.
  • You have shown the person the darkest, deepest, even sickest sides of you and yet the person has shown acceptance, made you feel alive and beautiful.
  • No matter what other people say or what circumstances arise, you ''just know'' that there is something good about that special connection you have with that person. It is a love all on its own, and is almost like a legend in your own personal world.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Bouncing off the OP's points, for me it becomes clear when I feel capable of connecting with that person in spite of my usual defensiveness toward intimacy of any kind. When I say connection, it has to be a two-way experience for me, otherwise it is just unrequited admiration, usually from a distance from which the object's true nature usually cannot be gleaned. Intimacy is essential.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I drop my guard.
I am having more fun than fights.
I trust them in my space (that is extremely rare).
They are my best friend.
I accept them for all that they are at this very moment (flaws included)
I believe that no one more sexy or intellectual has ever walked the face of the earth. I only have eyes for them (another rarity).
I forgive them for the small stuff, because losing a relationship over it is more devastating.
I love who I am in the relationship with them.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Love is what you'd do for someone when sex isn't involved/your primary motivation.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Unconditional love -- when you love them no matter what.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I've been only in love for once.

So how was it for me?

Well...

At first it was magical...all those hopes and all those beautiful and magical moments... it literally made me fly...so I was sitting on the „clouds“ and the world was too wonderful...he was too wonderful : ) He seemed perfect..so..love made me blind...

After it was over between us...I was still in love with him about 2 years..or maybe even more....
I fell down from the clouds...much crying, much self-destruction and just...very, very, very hard time for me...
I was like a glass with cracks that will fall apart soon.. but I healed...time really was the best remedy...

Oh..yeah...:unsure:

So..the signs that I truly love someone? Hehh...love literally takes me..and controls me...and it drowns me in the ocean of love... it makes me blind..it makes me crazy...and it takes me somewhere unfamiliar where it's hard to escape from...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are we talking love or limerance here? Limerance is an emotional, psychological and physiological hell-ride that ends in pain and humiliation for me, and if they've noticed, some embarrassment for the other person.

Compared to that, love is kind of boring, really.

Now, if I could feel the former, without the downsides, while being in the latter....

*ponders that for a while*

·
Registered
602 Posts
its hard to explain, but some indicators:

- wanting to always be with them
- feeling absolutely comfortable with being urself around them
- complete trust
- when you cannot imagine the rest ur life without them
- being able to just sit there without saying anything and do nothing but smile
- when u always want them to be happy and cannot be happy urself unless they are too
- being best friends
- accepting them for who they are for all the good and bad and still love them
- when you just cannot get them out of ur mind
- talking every single day for hours and hours and never getting tired of it

well i guess that turned out to be a little more than just 'some indicators' haha, oh well.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I look at Love as trivial to pursue, and as something that can only be entrusted. And I find it difficult to believe that so many people on this planet has insight into Love's essential meaning when they have yet experienced hate, because love and hate goes hand in hand.

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I look at Love as trivial to pursue, and as something that can only be entrusted. And I find it difficult to believe that so many people on this planet has insight into Love's essential meaning when they have yet experienced hate, because love and hate goes hand in hand.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
-They're the first person I look for when I enter room full of people I know.
- They occupy most of my thoughts without appearing in them sexually.
- I have convinced myself they're more beautiful than anyone I've ever seen (I truly end up thinking this).
- When I talk to them about things that interest ME.
- When I want to know everything about them, even baby stories.
- When, even though I barely look at people no matter how beautiful they are, I still can't take my eyes of them.
- When I alway forgive them (even if I don't want to) and always enjoy their company.
- When they're on my mind when I wake up, even if I don't wake up beside them or wake up from a dream of them.
- When as soon as I see any of these signs coming into play I start to panic and avoid this person.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I forgive them for the small stuff, because losing a relationship over it is more devastating.

I want this tattood on my forehead (backwards of course)...so i don't forget it....and end up where i am now...

I had all that...oh what have i done!! Bugger!

No in all honesty, I do not know what love it, i can't define it or even say if i've been truly in love (ive loved the three men ive had LTRs with but in hindsight...it wasnt true love i don't think, I was just capivated at the time!). Im not sure ill ever know, I fall in love easily...but true, all consuming, yet giving room to breathe and happy if their happy kinda love....hmmmm

Ps. Having fun with quotes now ive worked out how to use them :tongue:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah.... I think it's really difficult in the english language to define love, since we have one word for like tons of different things. Literally the dictionary has like thirty meanings for the word. The way I define love, not to sound at all snobbish, is not as an emotion, but as an action. No doubt there is also an application of the word for the feelings of love, but if I were to use my heart to decide for myself whether I should be with someone, I'd still be with my exgirlfriend, who is an unstable person but whom I love with all my heart even still.

No, I would rather look at love like an action, its something I choose to do, to overlook a person's minor flaws to see the greater essence of goodness in them. To selflessly do what's right for them, even if it makes me a little uncomfortable or makes me go out of my way, or even if it hurts me. To choose to think they are beautiful even when they first wake up and are not wearing makeup. To cradle that person in your heart and allow them to fill you up completely, and to let every other possibility of another person fall to the wayside, even if it looks better. To never ever give up no matter how lost the cause seems to be. To leave her if she asked you to. To protect her even from herself sometimes. To know the deepest secret recesses of a person and choose to handle those places with care. To support her, emotionally, eventually financially and even spiritually. To give yourself as a gift to that person, which means making yourself a gift leading up to that point. Its a choice to take an insult and respond with love, even after the fourty-fifth time. Its a choice to realize that even with all this love you may not be the best person for her. Its a choice to spend the rest of your life with a person day by day, and to not allow the trivial idiosyncrasies of life deter you from your duty, your pleasure, your joy, your choice.

Love is three kids in college and grey in your hair and you still have not wavered from the Choice. At least that's what I hope it is. I'm still young, what do I know.

Hence the reason I don't want a girlfriend, I couldn't handle losing her. Though I miss and long for someone by my side, to experience this game of life with, to FRIGGEN have SEX with, I love too hard and too long to ever be a casual person about it.... anyway that's just me...:blushed: kinda went overboard........

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey fox, dont mean to make you eat your words or anything but what you said:

"To never ever give up no matter how lost the cause seems to be."

Don't ever give up, she'll come

Much love, pie xx :happy:

Reactions: EskimoFox

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
In Norwegian (Scandinavian actually), we have two ways of professing our love.

Jeg elsker deg.
Jeg = I
elsker = love
deg = you

As a means to say "I love you," obviously.

Jeg er glad i deg.
Jeg = I
er = am
glad = glad
i = in
deg = you

As a means to say "I am fond of you."

Let's just say that only kids throw "Jeg elsker deg" around to their brand new boy/girlfriend because "Jeg elsker deg" is not even used between parent and child, it is only used between lovers (husband and wife) who truly love one another. I myself have never said "Jeg elsker deg" to anyone in my entire life before, and I am quite sure I never will. But anyway, yeah, English is kind of weak and dumb when it comes to professing love, it's either all or nothing.

Reactions: Staryu

·
Registered
397 Posts
to me you love someone because you can't help it. there is nothing you can do. you love the person.

in my opinion its not a warm and fuzzy feeling; thats infatuation. the differance between the two is the differance between grape juice and wine. love comes as a result of time spent together, problems dealt with together. love is an understanding; a recognition of the others many flaws. a desire to be with them in spite of them.

love is a practice, a result, a wonderful kind of madness.

Reactions: Cauliflower
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.