Personality Cafe banner

Who Do You Think Is Better At Reading People?

• Fe

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Fi

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for the ages

Which cognitive function does a better job at getting a read on and understanding people? For example, being able to determine someones type with the most accuracy?

Anyone can read people (no, no they can't), but which tends to do it better?

Its tricky because Fe is about emotional reactions tangible to the outside world (thats how they organize information) whereas Fi is about knowing themselves (this is how they collect information) yet this allows them to sympathize.

Ignore, dom, tert, aux, all that crap. Look at it from a wholly theoretical perspective on both functions.

What do you think based of your understanding and experience?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The one that spends time reading people instead of books...? Which means, probably the extrovert ~

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know i'm amazing at this and I use Ni-Fe so... yeah.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,383 Posts
SE + FE... ESTP or ENFJ

my .02
Yup.

Se catches all the non-verbal cues, Fe sees and analyzes others' emotions. Fi/Te is individualistic. it relates to other people when it wants to, but usually not very keen or interested in reading them.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
I agree with everyone on Fe.

I say this because Fe derives its values from the external world. Their value is the world's value, more or less. Fi's value is derived from within. Just based on this, we can conclude that it's more natural for Fe to "become" rather than just "understand".

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,600 Posts
I can't tell if you mean "reading people" as assessing others and the social climate or if you actually mean "typing people."

For assessing society, Fe. Fi people look out and compare it to what they would feel in that situation and then apply it to others. The out-in-out of Fi takes more processing time than the out...... of Fe.

For typing people, probably Fe. I can't always recreate in myself another person's logical processes, so there is an ongoing curiosity and indecision when I type people. I have a lot of options to choose from, but that could just be my Ne.

But when you tack on "understanding people" to your question, I might have to make an argument for Fi. The fact that Fi has to relate everything to itself makes it a very empathetic process. It might take me a little while to churn out something, but I'll feel someone else as if they were myself.

Reactions: UberY0shi

·
Registered
779 Posts
Fi is too inward looking, and therefor too biased imo. Ex, Sees person A crying. Fi gives A a hug bcause he thinks A is lonely. A replies, "You dont have to hug me every time is stub my toe."

As an Fi user, I never trust my own sences.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,441 Posts
Folk psychology of sorts... why assume "either," is good at 'reading' (re: predictive strategies of humanoids) people (re: mental states), with any form of accuracy, let alone any better than the other?

:smug:

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,416 Posts
The one that spends time reading people instead of books...? Which means, probably the extrovert ~
I fit this extravert stereotype then, even though I seemingly am not one.

I actually am good at reading people, and I know plenty fellow INFP's/Fi-doms who are way less capable of doing so.

I start to think Fe-doms may be, generally, the best at it afterall?

Fi is too inward looking, and therefor too biased imo. Ex, Sees person A crying. Fi gives A a hug bcause he thinks A is lonely. A replies, "You dont have to hug me every time is stub my toe."

As an Fi user, I never trust my own sences.
I don't agree with Fi being too inward looking and therefor too biased. It often can/is the case, but it varies depeninding on the person and the situation. Some INFP people, oh... yeah, then fully agree, but some other INFP people... no, no, I don't agree

I disagree highly when talking about myself. Of course, I can have my bias moments, but overall, I am very not. I did need a very long time to understand people better, after studying them for many years.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I fit this extravert stereotype then, even though I seemingly am not one.

I actually am good at reading people, and I know plenty fellow INFP's/Fi-doms who are way less capable of doing so.

I start to think Fe-doms may be, generally, the best at it afterall?
Well to be perfectly honest, I think this ability has more to do with whether or not you were forced to "socialize" as a kid or not - and the extent of exposure to people on a daily basis (considering the inability to immediately appreciate communication after prolonged isolation or distance to a specific person). Also depends on your interests, respectively; there are people who have nothing else to do so they go to pub to observe people and their actions. Another subgroup is formed by people who study psychology in their free time to be able to read people and dissect their little brains out, or people who troll others to get various reactions. All three examples would have a tendency toward "reading" people in one form or another.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can't vote on this because it isn't fair game considering there are different ways of reading people.
It's like asking, Who's a better driver? A motorcycle driver or a truck driver?
I think Fe is better at reading what's going to happen, or what a person will do next.
Fi is better at understanding what's going on inside.

If we're focusing on the end result of people's actions based on non-communicated information that has to be picked up intuitively, Fe.
If we're talking about "Man, I think she feels this way because X and X and that's due to a whole life of X and X and she will continue that way unless X and X happens or X and X never happens. What she really wants is X and X", Fi.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Agreed, ButIHaveCheer. Fi is powerful for empathy and understanding. The Ne like you said, leads to overthinking as to what people may be feeling. I'd have to inquire as to people's states, then if they're forthcoming, I can understand where they're coming from.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Ne reads what's going on inside a person.
Se sees what the person is doing.
Fi understands what's going on in terms of feelings and values.
Ni reads the person's patterns and predicts what will happen next.
Si perceives subtle sensory impressions, such as noticing someone's discomfort.
Fe understands the behavior in terms of mood and emotion.

·
Spam-I-am
13,641 Posts
NT
I have yet to meet a person irl who I can't figure out in 20 minutes or less
know exactly how they operate

1 - 20 of 28 Posts