Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm frustrated by myself. I hate my personality. I hate all the things I do, I hate my inabilities, I hate the way my cop out for a particular trait (i.e procrastination) will always be 'It's because you're depressed/your childhood/my parent's sucked ass'. and the rest. I psychoanalyse myself all the time- another hate. Hell, I've even began doubting I was depressed in the beginning anyway- 'It was just an overreaction. You were just being a whiny teen. You're wasting people's time. Stop going to counselling. ' a voice says. Cue feelings of embarrassment and shame. I want to change everything about myself. I really really hate myself.

Does anyone else feel this way? Is this naturally an INFJ thing, or just me? :/

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
So I'm frustrated by myself. I hate my personality. I hate all the things I do, I hate my inabilities, I hate the way my cop out for a particular trait (i.e procrastination) will always be 'It's because you're depressed/your childhood/my parent's sucked ass'. and the rest. I psychoanalyse myself all the time- another hate. Hell, I've even began doubting I was depressed in the beginning anyway- 'It was just an overreaction. You were just being a whiny teen. You're wasting people's time. Stop going to counselling. ' a voice says. Cue feelings of embarrassment and shame. I want to change everything about myself. I really really hate myself.

Does anyone else feel this way? Is this naturally an INFJ thing, or just me? :/
Could be an INFJ thing as I have had those feelings at times. Something to consider is that you have the choice of how you respond to things. You can cop out and be a victim or you can look for a lesson, apply it in your life. There is something to be said for the Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt gremlins that can cause anxiety and depression that you either choose to empower by listening to them or disempower by figuring out what the truth is and move forward.

Counseling can be useful if there is a specific question to get addressed. I've had mixed results with counseling myself where sometimes it can be good and other times it just gets a little tiring of trying stuff over and over only to see it not work that well.

While you may claim to hate yourself, have you thought about what gifts you have? What talents you would rob the world if you didn't use them to the best of your ability.

Brené Brown: Listening to shame | Video on TED.com may be a useful TED Talk on shame for you to watch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Many people feel like that sometimes. I do and not all that infrequently even. I think it's a strength to see like you do that in some situations there might have been other ways you would have wanted to act. A lot of people don't really think about it. But it doesn't make you a bad person if you make mistakes or don't reach as high as you aim. I think it's noble to aim that high in the first place. On the one hand I want to say that you don't have to fight so hard, yet I also think it's brave that you are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts