Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just so frustrated with the way things are right now.
I've been busy with my coursework at school. I am the president of a new club on campus, and it always seems like I could put a lot more effort into it than I have been. Recently my parents have been angry with me for not getting a job (I applied for my pharmacy tech license in July, and just received it two days ago.) My friends have made it extremely clear that they are happier without me- I only see one friend a week, and even then I spend the entire time talking to her because I never talk to anyone! I think I am scaring her away too now. I am always tired- all I do on the weekends is sleep and read for my classes. I only eat one meal a day, and if I am lucky, then two meals a day (if my mom decides to cook dinner and include me).
To top it off, I was just sitting with my mother and sister, and they started off on a bashing session of me, including reasons why I don't have friends and why I am a failure because of my social awkwardness. I just walked away and they continued on the subject.
My dad keeps telling me that I'm supposed to feel like this, and that it means that I should move out soon.
I just need some help or something. I don't even know why I'm posting this in this forum... I guess I just need help on getting out of this hole that I'm in. I've felt like this many times before, and I always manage to get better on my own, but this time it just feels so much worse.
(Geez, I cannot believe I am actually doing this. Please know that I will be pressing that "submit new thread" button with dread and regret. But writing in my blog that nobody sees is just not doing it for me right now.)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You sound a little depressed. Being bitched about, and told you should feel like a failure and move out by your parents isn't something you or any other person, really, deserves in the slightest.

How old are you? If you're still in school/education surely your parents ought to be supporting you? Being a student is to work, and provided you look for it outside also they have no reason to complain.

That said it's not like it's crazy and unheard of not to have a job while your studying...I found just volunteering two hours a week doing low stress work was the right amount for me when I was in college; any more and I'd've been too stressed with school.

Maybe suggest that while you're in education, and trying to find work, you are allowed to stay at home, and once you have a steady income, you find a place of your own - to avoid great financial burdens if you cannot support yourself in future.

Concerning friends and social awkwardness, it sounds like you really need some support, and ways to build your confidence, and for whatever reason you're not getting it at home and otherwise...Could you write everything out conscisely and show it to someone who's not gonna strike you down - a teacher (maybe they can discuss it with your parents - it'd maybe be more likely your parents'd take you seriously), relative?

Could you cook dinner every now and again? You're tired, but maybe it'd give you a chance to get everyone down to listen to you properly. Although they could just come out with things they've said before, which isn't what you're looking for, and is rather a harsh veiw if you ask me.

Not having enough to eat can't be good either, looking after base needs is essential to well-being: sleeping, eating (balanced and healthily), excersize, fluids, expression and security and so forth.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You sound like what I'm going to sound like, after this semester. I'm working one full time job and another part time job while taking 6, 4 and a half hour(averaged), college courses. I don't have time for friends, and I barely have time to eat, but having a few hundred dollars in your pocket every week is worth it. And that's part of the reason I've been called a mercenary.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
You have a lot on your plate. I would suggest you invest your time in courses and work over extracurricular activities. If things get really bad I would take less classes and do more work as your parents aren't willing to help you through college enough. I can relate to your limited use of play time with a friend, and I try to enjoy a beer + activity with them to shake the nerves.

A lot of people have these issues, but we are very capable of fixing such problems. Don't be afraid to tone down the responsibilities of school, just don't give up hope that you can get through school due to lifes hardships.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I'm just so frustrated with the way things are right now.
I've been busy with my coursework at school. I am the president of a new club on campus, and it always seems like I could put a lot more effort into it than I have been. Recently my parents have been angry with me for not getting a job (I applied for my pharmacy tech license in July, and just received it two days ago.) My friends have made it extremely clear that they are happier without me- I only see one friend a week, and even then I spend the entire time talking to her because I never talk to anyone! I think I am scaring her away too now. I am always tired- all I do on the weekends is sleep and read for my classes. I only eat one meal a day, and if I am lucky, then two meals a day (if my mom decides to cook dinner and include me).
To top it off, I was just sitting with my mother and sister, and they started off on a bashing session of me, including reasons why I don't have friends and why I am a failure because of my social awkwardness. I just walked away and they continued on the subject.
My dad keeps telling me that I'm supposed to feel like this, and that it means that I should move out soon.
I just need some help or something. I don't even know why I'm posting this in this forum... I guess I just need help on getting out of this hole that I'm in. I've felt like this many times before, and I always manage to get better on my own, but this time it just feels so much worse.
(Geez, I cannot believe I am actually doing this. Please know that I will be pressing that "submit new thread" button with dread and regret. But writing in my blog that nobody sees is just not doing it for me right now.)
Whoa! Let's get off of this depressing train of thoughts. You are dissatisfied with your life in many areas, and you have lumped them altogether in this post, not really explaining what you are dissatisfied with, why it is dissatisfying to you, and how you got to this point in your dissatisfaction.

Currently, the main piece of advice that I'd like to give you is that YOU ARE NORMAL. We all go through these feelings and phases...especially at your age. So I'm gonna say that you shouldn't beat yourself up, give it a little time, and things will gradually work themselves out. That said:

So overall, life isn't so great at the moment, but there is relief. Take a page from Rhee's book, and sleep on it. Then come back in the morning and post a specific issue that you are dealing with that you would like to see improve and let us help you with that. Then we can tackle the others as need be.

I'm glad you posted; I know it takes a lot of effort to be open and vulnerable. Don't clam up now and prevent us from being the sounding board you need.:happy:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
^ What Niss said, but I'd also like to add that (or reiterate, actually) you CAN do this. I'd also like to point out that really only the strongest individuals are able to admit vulnerability. Everyone else just BS's their way through stuff. Since you've admitted this, you MUST be strong, right? :happy: Let's tackle these issues one at a time and see what happens/where it leads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts