Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
America... Land of the free, home of the brave. Yeah. Fucking. Right.

These days it seems like Land of the "Oh shit I'm scared, fuck freedom" and "home of the Islamaphobes".

I find it mildly amusing watching people yell and scream about how scared they are about Syrian refugees coming over to the United States. And before I go knee deep into this post, let me say that I do understand that it is important to be sure that proper checks are in place to verify their backgrounds.

With that being said, it's crazy to think that just because a person is part of a religion that they are automatically terrorists. If anyone should think that, it should be a atheist minority like myself. I don't. I am by no means fond of religion. I do not however think that the bat-shit crazy republican candidates have it right.

When you have dickheads like Ted Cruz walking around saying things like:

"There is no meaningful risk of christians committing acts of terror."

Ted Cruz’s Religious Test for Syrian Refugees - The New Yorker

I point at the attack at that SC church by a christian racist. You know, the one that Republicans said wasn't an act of terror or wasn't racially motivated...

Accused church shooter Dylann Roof to face more charges - CNN.com

Conservatives Ignore Racism And Spin Church Shooting As A War On Christianity

Then you've got just about every republican candidate referencing god influencing their run.

“God’s plan”: These GOP candidates claim the Almighty wants them to run - Salon.com

Well god damn... The Flying Spaghetti Monster sure has some choices to make. My point is some of the republican (and some democrats too) are demonizing one religion as being extremists based on the acts of a segment of it's population. If I demonize christianity based on the Ku Klux Klan, Hitler and Nazi Germany (Yes, they claimed to be christian) or the Spanish inquisition, then I could brand all of christianity as being terrorists, murderers and psychopaths... but I don't.

Why? Because of the essence of this clip below...

[video]https://youtu.be/HRB2dGI1vRM?t=4[/video]

What happened to judging people based on their individual merit? What happened to all of this "rugged individualism and exceptionalism" that we hear about so much? Have we forgotten that even the revolutionary war was in large part about the right to be free to determine your own destiny, and not be pigeonholed into a role designated to you by your birth to a region, caste or RELIGION.

Or is it simply okay to say it's alright to protect the weak when it's convenient? Bravery, courage is only displayed in the face of fear... not when you're free of it. You can't be "a shining city on a hill" or "a beacon of hope and freedom" if you shun those who need it most out of convenience, fear or political gain.

Yes, be sure checks are in place. Yes, make sure we verify that people who enter our boarders have been vetted. But to simply say "fuck you don't come here" to an entire group of people fleeing a shit storm that we had some (not all) part in starting is not just irresponsible, it's contridictory to the idea that the U.S. is supposed to be a place of hope.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

- Emma Lazarus, The New Colossus

1 - 1 of 1 Posts