Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's gonna be three years since mankind's biggest threat keeps spitting tons of radioactive waste in the atmosphere and seas, thanks to lazy security measures. since then, the buzz has faded and governments are fighting over trivial issues no one will still be there in a few centuries to care about.

Meanwhile some of the most alarming news are happening just right now : New nuclear threat? Radiation levels hit record high at crippled Fukushima - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video
Fukushima cleanup exploits homeless laborers, investigation shows | The Verge
Fukushima meltdown? Mystery steam rising over Reactor 3 - News in Brief - The Ecologist

It's amazing how we got to a point where the worst case scenario is less important to people than what they're gonna eat on december 31. There's never been so many ways to communicate worldwide, but still what should be an international priority is devolved to an inefficient private corporation and the cheapest workers possible.

How is that even acceptable for the masses ? What do INTPs personally think of it ? do you personally care ? If not, why ? Most importantly, how will the situation evolve ? Discuss.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think society is corrupted in most ways. We care more about money than other people or security. I also think it's stupid to go to war if a country decides not to give you oil anymore, or when communism is spreading that you attack that country (I'm describing USA now, although I'm not very familiar with their reasons behind what they do). I get they want to make people safe from terrorists, but I think it's uneccessary to read peoples' e-mails.

Humanity will collapse under its own stupidity if we don't change our ways. I have given up caring because we won't change anyway, people are always hungry for power and money. As for your question, I don't think it's acceptable but we can't do anything about it, governments decide that money is more important than human lives and afterwards they'll apologise and say ''they died for a good cause'' or something like that and all is forgotten and forgiven. It disgusts me how people are focused on money more than actual problems.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Humanity will collapse under its own stupidity if we don't change our ways. I have given up caring because we won't change anyway, people are always hungry for power and money.
I always have trouble seeing money as the root of all evil. It's a human creation after all so there's gotta be more behind it.
My theory is that our intelligence, and therefore our technology, allowed us to vanquish nature as a regulator to our population. We live longer and reproduce exponentially and earlier than we used to. Then, from overpopulation comes fear of others, selfishness and greed, which leads us to money.

I don't actually care to the point of wanting things to change, either. It's clearly not an INTP thing to attach value to something that will outlive them. But yeah... Disgusting.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I always have trouble seeing money as the root of all evil. It's a human creation after all so there's gotta be more behind it.
My theory is that our intelligence, and therefore our technology, allowed us to vanquish nature as a regulator to our population. We live longer and reproduce exponentially and earlier than we used to. Then, from overpopulation comes fear of others, selfishness and greed, which leads us to money.

I don't actually care to the point of wanting things to change, either. It's clearly not an INTP thing to attach value to something that will outlive them. But yeah... Disgusting.
Money isn't the root of evil by itself, it's how people see money. We've given money so much value that we practically worship it. Money was designed because trade wouldn't work, some things had more value than others and some people didn't need what others offered to trade. So money was discovered/designed. I won't deny that money is a useful way to trade, but it has gotten out of hand.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It's as if the world is eager to bring itself to a crisis-point. Perpetuating the problems we've made and compounding them with those that occur naturally.

If this turns out anything like Chernobyl then at-least there'll be one positive aspect.

I feel indifferent about it all though. Yet I feel bad for being indifferent.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,535 Posts
We chiros talk about shit like this all the time on the facebook.

I'll share my thoughts:
There is really nothing you can really do about it.

I mean talking about stuff like this is great to prevent it from happening again, but it's not going to resolve the issue at hand.

The best thing you can do is try to maintain a healthy immune system and possibly take iodine to protect your thyroid. Avoid eating food from the pacific ocean and avoid living on the west coast of the US.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The best thing you can do is try to maintain a healthy immune system and possibly take iodine to protect your thyroid. Avoid eating food from the pacific ocean and avoid living on the west coast of the US.
Iodine wouldn't help with any form of radiation that you'd be exposed to. Iodine only helps if you're exposed to radioiodine, which, after three years, is most likely all gone by now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
lolz I thought you were talking about how bliss Fukushima is, sunflowers, mutant butterflies, and zombies, and best of all NO PEOPLE

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Exactly. As the article said:

"The iodine cloud must have widened and dispersed quite a bit in its journey across the northern hemisphere… and 75% or more of it would have decayed by the time it reached France."

Radiation from radioiodine isn't much of a concern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radia...Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Iodine-131

"Iodine-131 has a short half-life at approximately 8 days, and therefore is an issue mostly in the first weeks after the incident."

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,535 Posts
Exactly. As the article said:

"The iodine cloud must have widened and dispersed quite a bit in its journey across the northern hemisphere… and 75% or more of it would have decayed by the time it reached France."

Radiation from radioiodine isn't much of a concern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radia...Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Iodine-131

"Iodine-131 has a short half-life at approximately 8 days, and therefore is an issue mostly in the first weeks after the incident."
Not saying anything about its half life although I'd disagree that it's not a concern.
Real point of the post was to show in fact it's not gone after 3 years.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not saying anything about its half life although I'd disagree that it's not a concern.
Real point of the post was to show in fact it's not gone after 3 years.
The article you posted refers to a recent discharge of radioactive material from Fukushima, from this year in September, not of original from the original meltdown in 2011.

I do admit that I failed to account for subsequent emissions. So while there may be little I-131 from later discharges, none of it is left over from the initial meltdown.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,535 Posts
The article you posted refers to a recent discharge of radioactive material from Fukushima, from this year in September, not of original from the original meltdown in 2011.

I do admit that I failed to account for subsequent emissions. So while there may be little I-131 from later discharges, none of it is left over from the initial meltdown.
Lol of course it's talking about subsequent admissions.
It's an ongoing issue that's why people are upset.
In addition to the impact it had initially it's not under control years later.

·
Banned
6,664 Posts
I think society is corrupted in most ways. We care more about money than other people or security.
First things first... Nuclear power plants are providing cheap electricity and independent power infrastructures for industrial development. Those things are "survival" if you are suffering from the lack of natural resources and geopolitical isolation. They are also providing precious materials for nuclear medicine and warheads. I, for one, reject your argument. It's not that simple, just like everything else.

I also think it's stupid to go to war if a country decides not to give you oil anymore, or when communism is spreading that you attack that country (I'm describing USA now, although I'm not very familiar with their reasons behind what they do). I get they want to make people safe from terrorists, but I think it's uneccessary to read peoples' e-mails.
They are going to war "before" you feel the practical result of that scenario. Right now, you have the comfort and decency to question it's ethical standpoint with humanitarian concerns. Because, your generation never "really" suffered from a national decline on a personal level. There are historical examples of what would happen when politicians simply follow your "don't hurt anybody and I don't care the rest" attitude. People always want "prosperity" without feeling guilty for sure. The thing is, anything and everything that you maintained as a western society should be preserved by abusive practices. Just like a nuclear power plant. Ironically, there's no way to turn the switch off and shut it down, without causing a meltdown. It's a vicious cycle, a pipe dream. Do you "really" want to suffer as who you are, just because someone in the overseas will live longer? No... You are a human being, an animal after all. If you will sacrifice your own future/standard of living for another person, at least you have to personally know him/her. Not because you are a hypocrite, but because that's the human nature. Everybody wants to live a better life without hurting others but nobody "really" knows how can we do that.

Humanity will collapse under its own stupidity if we don't change our ways.
And... Eventually, rebuild itself over and over again, even if we don't change our ways on purpose. Mankind already survived everything, including the natural disasters beyond our imagination and understanding. If you mean "our generation" with "humanity", it's too little, too late.

I have given up caring because we won't change anyway, people are always hungry for power and money.
Welcome to the materialistic universe with limited resources for survival. It's nature, not "people". We are not so different than whatever invasive species.

As for your question, I don't think it's acceptable but we can't do anything about it, governments decide that money is more important than human lives and afterwards they'll apologise and say ''they died for a good cause'' or something like that and all is forgotten and forgiven.
Actually this would be a better apology: "Well... They were quite happy for decades with cheap electricity, computers, mobile phones and expensive productions for entertainment. None of them question anything till something gone wrong for the second time in the history of nuclear energy."

It disgusts me how people are focused on money more than actual problems.
Money (financial capacity for providing crucial resources cheaper, such as electricity) is already an actual problem. Entire civilization is trying to "survive" and serve individuals somewhat better lives with the things that you demonize. Please forgive my mockery as your fellow introverted thinker... But... "Omigosh! Why we build all those evil statues, instead of solving other problems with our magic wands?" Dude... This is already how it looks when "they are partially solved". Just wait and see when they will decide to give up nuclear power. They will build dozens of fossil-fuel power stations for every single one of decommissioned nuclear power plants and cancer rates will skyrocket beyond your wildest dreams. By the way, you can enjoy power outages for the rest of your life, if you are a big fan of green energy. Maintenance of the wind turbines are truly a nightmare and solar panels feel depressed on cloudy days.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd rather worry about what I'm going to eat, as that is a problem I can actually solve.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To date, the biggest impact upon the lives of the people in and around Fukushima Daiichi (the reactor complex that suffered loss of coolant) is the evacuation. Thousands died simply because of the evacuation. The is a threshold in radiation exposure health effects below which it has been lerned that DNA repairs itself. The current, on the ground, dose rates in the communities surrounding Daiichi are well below that threshold. The continued mandatory evacuation is much worse than the radiation health effects.

Since 1946 (?), it has been assumed without actual scientific basis, that there was no threshold and that health effects continued right down to zero exposure. Now that there is a scientific basis for the existence of a threshold, there is a threat to the political power of the various health physics organizations. Its hard for them to let go of that power because the actual risk posed to humans is far lower than believed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts