Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but an important topic brought me back; that of a potential career. At this point in time, its a painful and maddening subject for me, and I imagine many of you ca relate to that as well. I don't want to spend my life working at a job I hate. I don't even want to spend it on something I tolerate. It has to be fulfilling. It has to be meaningful, in some way or another.

I'm really quite lost. I'm passionate about a great many things, and a lot of them don't really make money, unfortunately. I like working with photoshop, I like painting and drawing, gaming, writing, learning about the world/space... I'm very passionate about philosophy, holistic health, music (not talented with any instruments though, so not really worth mentioning), history (particularly that of art history), spirituality, film, sustainable production/growth, etc.

The main things I'm looking for are:

1) No Boss (Yeah, okay, that really limits things...)
2) Can be done from Anywhere (I like my freedom!)
3) Meaningful/Makes a Difference in the World (This one is a biggie!)
4) May help me to meet/connect with likeminded individuals (As a major introvert, I can handle A LOT of time on my own, but even I eventually feel that itch for some human contact/socialization. It would be a plus if it was a job that was somewhat niche, and therefore narrow the scope of people I would have contact with... if that makes sense.)
5) Creative in some Way (Vague, yes, but really any type of creativity would appeal to me)

Obviously the suggestions do not have to meet all of the criteria... to be honest, I'm not sure there's a job on this world that does, but if anything seems like it may be a good fit based around these requests and facts (or even a good fit for an INFP-type person) then it's totally worth mentioning.

Also, if anyone has a career they particularly enjoy and think I might as well, I'd be very interested in hearing about it. Also, while I'm posting this in an INFP forum, anyone is welcome to comment and offer their opinion/thoughts. I would really appreciate any help with this. Frankly, it's driving me insane trying to think of something suitable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It sounds like writing is really up your alleyway. Not just fiction or stories, but perhaps political or philosophic views. Of course, it's not a very stable job that you can just pack up and decide to do. Building a career in writing or any career fit for what you have listed will take time. Art is also an option, but it is less likely to be rewarding in currency (while published works will give you revenue based on how it sells, you can only sell a piece of art once).

My advice is to go with whatever you feel a strong pull towards. Odds are that you already have a few things on your mind, even before posting, so try them out. It's not always wise to rely on other's experience because everyone views things differently (although I totally understand the Si + Ne that seeks advice). It's going to be really hard to find a job without a boss and gives you freedom, but also helps you connect with like-minded individuals. Instead of trying to find something that fits all of that, dabble in a few jobs that fit one or two pieces of the criteria. Afterwards, ask yourself what you felt you needed the most and what you needed the least.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Interestingly, I'm also going through this process right now, re-evaluating my career choices and picking something that meets my needs. Here were the priorities I came up with, ranked in order of preference:

1) Making a difference in the world
2) Feeling satisfied and fulfilled with the work I do
3) Enjoying my work
4) Work / life balance
5) Becoming an expert in my field
6) Making use of my natural talents

My ideal job will have all 6 of those things. Interestingly, I have little to no desire whatsoever to be creative in my career, but I think N is much more than diversity. I want complexity in my job, working on and addressing more complicated problems that require brainpower to solve.

As for you, I agree with Accomania that building a career in writing could be a good fit for you. Lots of people find ways to write freelance and make money off of it. You could also consider a career in journalism? That would give you tons of material to write about but I suppose not necessarily the freedom to write about whatever you wanted.

There's also nothing wrong with picking a job that just pays the bills and then pursuing passions that change the world in your spare time. I work as an engineer, and I've always just worked for corporations making widgets which doesn't exactly change the world and fulfill those requirements I listed above. But in my free time, I volunteer at the ER at my local hospital and also volunteer with Engineers Without Borders, and those definitely help me feel fulfilled in my work.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Also, maybe take the Holland Code test? It's a really useful career selection tool to highlight what your natural talents are, and it gives you tons of recommendations based on your type. This is also known as the RIASEC test if that rings any bells...(Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Entrepreneurial, Conventional). After you take the test, it ranks those six, and your top 2, maybe 3, are the most descriptive in determining what kind of career you should have. I ended up with Social as #1 and Investigative as #2. "Social" doesn't mean you would have a job where you're a social butterfly and talking to tons of people; it means that the focus of your job involves people or society somehow, like healthcare or psychology or other such things, so don't be surprised to score really high in Social as an introvert. I suspect artistic would be quite high for you based on what you said. I'd be really curious about your entrepreneurial side if you are really quite serious about your #1 item!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @SuperfluousNinja and @accomania for sharing your thoughts! It's funny you both mentioned writing as a viable option, because that's what I went to college for. At this point, I'm toying with the idea of starting a blog and seeing where it goes... it can be really lucrative if you play your cards right. It seems most of the careers I'm genuinely interested in will require a certain amount of risk on my part. My main struggle is that I'm bad at sticking with one project, or idea. It seems that as soon as I start something I get pulled in a whole different direction. I'm very... what's the word... fickle?

I'll definitely check out the RIASEC test mentioned! Even if it doesn't tell me quite what I want to know, I think it'll be nice to have a better understanding of my natural talents. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but an important topic brought me back; that of a potential career. At this point in time, its a painful and maddening subject for me, and I imagine many of you ca relate to that as well. I don't want to spend my life working at a job I hate. I don't even want to spend it on something I tolerate. It has to be fulfilling. It has to be meaningful, in some way or another.

I'm really quite lost. I'm passionate about a great many things, and a lot of them don't really make money, unfortunately. I like working with photoshop, I like painting and drawing, gaming, writing, learning about the world/space... I'm very passionate about philosophy, holistic health, music (not talented with any instruments though, so not really worth mentioning), history (particularly that of art history), spirituality, film, sustainable production/growth, etc.

The main things I'm looking for are:

1) No Boss (Yeah, okay, that really limits things...)
2) Can be done from Anywhere (I like my freedom!)
3) Meaningful/Makes a Difference in the World (This one is a biggie!)
4) May help me to meet/connect with likeminded individuals (As a major introvert, I can handle A LOT of time on my own, but even I eventually feel that itch for some human contact/socialization. It would be a plus if it was a job that was somewhat niche, and therefore narrow the scope of people I would have contact with... if that makes sense.)
5) Creative in some Way (Vague, yes, but really any type of creativity would appeal to me)

Obviously the suggestions do not have to meet all of the criteria... to be honest, I'm not sure there's a job on this world that does, but if anything seems like it may be a good fit based around these requests and facts (or even a good fit for an INFP-type person) then it's totally worth mentioning.

Also, if anyone has a career they particularly enjoy and think I might as well, I'd be very interested in hearing about it. Also, while I'm posting this in an INFP forum, anyone is welcome to comment and offer their opinion/thoughts. I would really appreciate any help with this. Frankly, it's driving me insane trying to think of something suitable.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I'm not an IFNP (almost 100% sure but can't rule anything out) and I can thoughrouly relate. People can be very unreasonable so I'd like to work for the only person who has any sense. "Myself, Mr Baggins!" ~ Gandalf. Plus jobs pay money because no one wants to do it otherwise. I want to do something that is enjoyable and something that actually contributes to society. So I am making my own job *gasp*! And you can too! You see, we all have things that we are good at that other people aren't good at, and they are willing to pay for you to use those skills for them. Basically I am suggesting freelance. Offer tutoring services, write a blog about history or philosophy, and/or find creative ways to offer up your other skills for money. After a while of building your brand more people will come to you and you will make more money.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @Jonneh, I agree completely. At the moment I'm definitely leaning towards freelancing. I'm already trying to offer my services as a tutor, although I don't have as many qualifications as most other individuals. I can really only lend my abilities in English (based on credentials). I am also trying to pursue freelance writing, not sure if it will be long-term though. *sigh* There's just so many directions I could go, it's difficult to narrow in on one thing.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Thanks @Jonneh, I agree completely. At the moment I'm definitely leaning towards freelancing. I'm already trying to offer my services as a tutor, although I don't have as many qualifications as most other individuals. I can really only lend my abilities in English (based on credentials). I am also trying to pursue freelance writing, not sure if it will be long-term though. *sigh* There's just so many directions I could go, it's difficult to narrow in on one thing.
Yeah, I get that. It took me a bit to narrow things down too. However, I overheard an INTJ talking about this subject and here is what he had to say. "If you have one archer fire one arrow at a really small target far away you might hit it, but the odds aren't in your favor. If you have a hundred archers fire one arrow each your chances go up a lot. So do more than one thing and you will have higher odds of succeeding in hitting the target of success." Maybe just initially try a few of them at the same time? Also, websites like freelancer.com will be a big help! Maybe start with a few of those as well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts