Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to laugh at how ironic life can be at times. I have been pondering my educational journey that began when I started my college education back in (shh!) 1993!

Initially, I really wanted to major in psychology, but changed my mind when I learned it would take at least 8 years of schooling to become a licensed psychologist because my main priority was to have a family and be a stay-at-home mom.

After I married my first husband he convinced me I would make a great teacher, so I spent the next several years working towards a degree in elementary education. When I got divorced about four years ago I happened to be on the verge of beginning my student teaching. It fell through and thank goodness! It gave me the opportunity to re-think my career direction.

After 20 years of schooling, off and on, between children and life I will finally have a B.A. this spring, whew!

Since I completed most of the elementary education program it made sense to switch to a Liberal Arts degree. I already had most of the requirements complete.

The ironic part of all of this is that I have grown to love learning about the functions and personality typing, so much so, that I wish I had stuck with psychology. I mean, back then I decided to go in a different direction.... dismissing it.... based on the time involved, yet I've spent nearly 20 years working towards a degree anyways and to top that, I'll be working towards a degree in a field of psychology. HAHA! Wow!

I decided to go into school psychology as a result of my education in the field of education already. I have been looking into masters' programs. I am hoping to gain more knowledge and possibly certification on typing as well because it has become a major passion for me.

I just can't get over how I have basically come full circle!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts