Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Background

The Gallup Organization (yeah, the pollsters) have a wonderful career tool called the Clifton StrengthsFinder 2.0 that helps identify which of the 34 defined Strengths you possess. The reports help you understand the ways you naturally contribute to an organization and they provide tips to
avoid the pitfalls of your Strengths. I highly recommend it.

The Strengths test is absolutely worth the $10 fee, if only for providing a vocabulary to describe these talents on your resume and articulate your value in job interviews.

[HR][/HR]
My top five strengths: Strategic, Ideation, Learner, Input, and Intellection

These Strengths provide an accurate assessment of my best business skills. I'm now trying to understand them in light of my MBTI/Jung profile (INTP and other scores).

[HR][/HR]
Correlating the Clifton Strengths with Jung's Cognitive Functions

I've read the function descriptions on several websites but I still don't have a clear understanding of them. I think it would be helpful for me to l
earn about Functions by relating them to my own usage of them.

Now, I understand that there is no exact matching of Strengths to MBTI types but the Strengths descriptions sound like some of the Cognitive Functions I've read about. This exercise is more about viewing the Strengths from a Jung perspective than it is about creating some sort of equivalence between the two.

What I really need is your assignment of Functions to the Strengths descriptions (table below) and maybe your own personal definitions of the Functions you understand best.

FYI: If you feel my assignment of Functions shows some sort of bias, I assure you it is actually ignorance.

That being said, I welcome all feedback.

STRENGTHS &
Descriptions
Sunny's
Guess
Different
Function
STRATEGIC

Setting GoalsTi
Developing PlansTi
Preparing ContingenciesNi

Listing Available OptionsTi
Anticipating ConsequencesNi
Evaluating the Best OptionTi by principles
Fi by values

Diagnosing ProblemsNe
Solving ProblemsNe
Avoiding ProblemsNi

Seeing the Big PictureNi

IDEATION

Flexible to ChangeNe or Se?
CreativeNi
InnovativeNi
Efficient DesignsNi

Recognize PatternsNe
Find Mistakes / InconsistenciesNe or Si?

BrainstormingNi
New PerspectivesNi
Solutions on the FlyNe

Clear ExplanationsNe

LEARNER

AdaptableNe or Se?
CuriousTi
InvestigativeTi

Enjoying / Unafraid of the UnknownTi or Ni?
Enjoying / Unafraid of the ChallengingTi or Ni?

Quickly Master New Systems & SkillsTi
Continually Strive for ImprovementTi

INPUT

Investigate Info/ResourcesSi
Research Info/ResourcesSi
Catalog Info/ResourcesSi
Categorize Info/ResourcesTi
Organize Info/ResourcesTe
Systematize Info/ResourcesTe
Integrate Info/ResourcesNe
Document Info/ResourcesNe
Access Info/ResourcesSe
Disseminate Info/ResourcesNe

ListenSi
ContemplateTi
SpeculateNi
ShareNe

INTELLECTION

FocusSi
ConcentrateSi
ContemplateTi
ComprehendTi
Break Down ConceptsNi
Create Explanatory ModelsNi

Clear CommunicationNe
Excellent VocabularyNe

NuanceNe
ConnotationNe
ImplicationNe
InferenceNe

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Unfortunately the fill out the table comes across as homework :p

Perhaps what may be easier is to correlate the words to the dichotomies rather than specific functions.

For example the first word setting goals you linked to Ti. I believe setting goals is often related to Judgers or xxxJ types (which is the supposed combination of Pi-Je or Je-Pi functions). That is Judging types prefer to plan for things or to have a goal in mind. Perceiving types would rather keep their options open and go with the flow. This is not just one function that leads to this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On My Hideous Table of Functions and Perceiving Goals/Plans

Unfortunately the fill out the table comes across as homework :p
ACK! Yeah, I get that ...

I didn't expect anyone to fill it all out ...

I just hoped folks would suggest a function for a few activities that they felt matched up (like you just did).

ASIDE: I am also fond of the tongue smiley, though I prefer to use lowercase Thorn in mine: :)-þ)

Perhaps what may be easier is to correlate the words to the dichotomies rather than specific functions.
Hmmm ... Part of the purpose of this exercise was to help me better understand the Functions and how I use them.

I very much identify with the activities in the Strengths descriptions so that seemed a good place to start.

Some of the Function descriptions I read seemed to align nicely (One Ne description mentioned anticipating consequences, for example). So I'm looking for confirmation/correction of my guesses and input on the ones I was completely clueless about.

For example the first word setting goals you linked to Ti. I believe setting goals is often related to Judgers or xxxJ types (which is the supposed combination of Pi-Je or Je-Pi functions). That is Judging types prefer to plan for things or to have a goal in mind. Perceiving types would rather keep their options open and go with the flow. This is not just one function that leads to this.
I get what you're saying but Perceivers, nevertheless, do set goals. They may be using a function they don't like or that they're not adept at using, but everyone does some things against type.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the rows are related: I skipped rows to break up the activities into groups. So observing the related group (Setting Goals, Developing Plans, and Preparing Contingencies) helps provide context for the puny one- or two-word descriptions.

FYI: I would argue that INTPs have well-developed strategic thinking, from deciding what to target (goal setting) to devising how to get there (planning) to recognizing/avoiding potential pitfalls (more planning) and preparing for pitfall inevitability (contingencies).

Granted, as Perceivers, INTPs may not feel obliged to follow a plan if new information suggests a better direction. But INTPs definitely have goals and make plans. I'd venture to say we delight in making plans and then not sticking to them (defying even our own scheduling and regimentation).

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
ACK! Yeah, I get that ...

I didn't expect anyone to fill it all out ...

I just hoped folks would suggest a function for a few activities that they felt matched up (like you just did).

ASIDE: I am also fond of the tongue smiley, though I prefer to use lowercase Thorn in mine: :)-þ)
I see the list, and know if i start...I will have to finish it -_-
(And i may get around to it haha)

I have never come across lowercase Thorn. Usually I play with alpha, beta, theta, epsilon. Math seems to like these symbols.

Hmmm ... Part of the purpose of this exercise was to help me better understand the Functions and how I use them.

I very much identify with the activities in the Strengths descriptions so that seemed a good place to start.

Some of the Function descriptions I read seemed to align nicely (One Ne description mentioned anticipating consequences, for example). So I'm looking for confirmation/correction of my guesses and input on the ones I was completely clueless about.
Yes some do, and others I see multiple functions could perhaps correlate to a particular word.
Such as creative.
Ne types can be creative, Fi types can be creative...I think any type can be creative in their own way (how one defines creative may narrow this down).

Or clear explanations --> Ne, it think yes when paired with Ti. Paired with Fi and no not always clear.

Or find mistakes/inconstancies. I have seen the thinking functions described as responsible for that. I have also seen people suggest Si notices inconstancies also.

Unfortunately I do not possess the knowledge to definitively know exactly which function is responsible. perhaps multiple functions to each word, with an explanation of why I think any of them could fit.

I get what you're saying but Perceivers, nevertheless, do set goals. They may be using a function they don't like or that they're not adept at using, but everyone does some things against type.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the rows are related: I skipped rows to break up the activities into groups. So observing the related group (Setting Goals, Developing Plans, and Preparing Contingencies) helps provide context for the puny one- or two-word descriptions.

FYI: I would argue that INTPs have well-developed strategic thinking, from deciding what to target (goal setting) to devising how to get there (planning) to recognizing/avoiding potential pitfalls (more planning) and preparing for pitfall inevitability (contingencies).

Granted, as Perceivers, INTPs may not feel obliged to follow a plan if new information suggests a better direction. But INTPs definitely have goals and make plans. I'd venture to say we delight in making plans and then not sticking to them (defying even our own scheduling and regimentation).
To me the setting goals, developing plans, preparing contingencies, seems like INTJ. This seems to be the focus in their profiles. Perhaps they have more the follow through compared to INTPs.

The thing is INFJ's can make plans like this. ISFJ's, my ESTP sister makes plans (well more very last minute plans...) etc. yet all use different functions, and all perhaps have a different idea for plans lol.

Now i'm in two frames of mind. I see that we could go through and apply which function best suits each row, but could also apply certain types and which functions they use to each row.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On My Love of Thorn :)-þ)

I have never come across lowercase Thorn. Usually I play with alpha, beta, theta, epsilon. Math seems to like these symbols.
Yeah math (and science) loves the Greek letters.

But, as I recall, thorn is from Old English.

You know those old-timey signs, like 'Ye Old Tavern'?

Well, it turns out that the people didn't pronounce it 'yeee' like we do ... It was 'thee', just like the word 'the'.

Apparently they had the letter thorn in that position but they got rid of it at some point (typesetting?) and just substituted 'y'.

But Thorn lives on, even in HTML entities:
  • lowercase thorn, þ: þ or þ
  • uppercase thorn, Þ: Þ or Þ
Although the PerC editor doesn't automatically convert these codes into symbols, lots of other places do. I usually just Google/Wikipedia 'thorn letter', copy the symbol, and paste into the PerC editor.

UPDATE: I just found out by accident that changing the font of the numerical code in the PerC editor changed it into a symbol and editing a completed post does the same thing. Hunh.

Choose a font that best conveys your mood (sick, cute, goofy, nyeh, razz, etc.):

lowercase thorn in various fonts:
þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ
Franklin Gothic (: þ) and Times New Roman (: þ)

uppercase thorn in various fonts:
Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ
Comic Sans (:-Þ) and Courier New :)Þ)
Times New (:-Þ) and Arial (:-Þ)

FYI: I sometimes bold the eyes and/or add a space or dash to make it pretty.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yeah math (and science) loves the Greek letters.

But, as I recall, thorn is from Old English.

You know those old-timey signs, like 'Ye Old Tavern'?

Well, it turns out that the people didn't pronounce it 'yeee' like we do ... It was 'thee', just like the word 'the'.

Apparently they had the letter thorn in that position but they got rid of it at some point (typesetting?) and just substituted 'y'.

But Thorn lives on, even in HTML entities:
  • lowercase thorn, þ: þ or þ
  • uppercase thorn, Þ: Þ or Þ
Although the PerC editor doesn't automatically convert these codes into symbols, lots of other places do. I usually just Google/Wikipedia 'thorn letter', copy the symbol, and paste into the PerC editor.

UPDATE: I just found out by accident that changing the font of the numerical code in the PerC editor changed it into a symbol and editing a completed post does the same thing. Hunh.

Choose a font that best conveys your mood (sick, cute, goofy, nyeh, razz, etc.):

lowercase thorn in various fonts:
þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ þ
Franklin Gothic (: þ) and Times New Roman (: þ)

uppercase thorn in various fonts:
Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ Þ
Comic Sans (:-Þ) and Courier New :)Þ)
Times New (:-Þ) and Arial (:-Þ)

FYI: I sometimes bold the eyes and/or add a space or dash to make it pretty.

Enjoy!
Haha thanks

I can see why Thorn is appealing for smilies.

My skill in this area is fish: <><
... or fish kissing: ><><><

maybe I can do a little better... but I like de fish haha

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On Fishy Text Art

Since you like: ><> <>< . ><> <>< . ><> <><

You might like big tails: 〉<> <>〈 . 〉<> <>〈 . 〉<> <>〈

: &# 9001; or 〈 (left-pointing angle bracket = bra)
: &# 9002; or 〉 (right-pointing angle bracket = ket)

You might like little tails: ›<> <>‹ . ›<> <>‹ . ›<> <>‹

: &# 8249; (single left-pointing angle quotation mark)
: &# 8250; (single right-pointing angle quotation mark)

You might like double tails: »<> <>« . »<> <>« . »<> <>«

left-pointing guillemet «: &# 171; or « (left-pointing double angle quotation mark)
right-pointing guillemet »: &# 187; or » (right-pointing double angle quotation mark)

»〈|〉« swimming away

(my favorites)
[HR][/HR]
Quick Reminder:
If you type the numerical code (take out the space) into the PerC editor and then preview the post, it will convert the code into the symbol. Otherwise you can just go to the site below to browse through symbols and copy/paste it into the editor.

Here's a page to find cool symbols:
Character Entity References Defined in HTML 4.0

More text art and smiley fun: .

(‡⋅〉)§ . ϑ(:þ) . ζ:)∫) . ξ(:þ) . ς(:oρ)

.......|\_/|
<>〈ΘΘ〉<> . . . ö <--- single-character not-so-smiley (underlined O umlaut)
........\ ._. /
------ϖ--ϖ-------

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Since you like: ><> <>< . ><> <>< . ><> <><

You might like big tails: 〉<> <>〈 . 〉<> <>〈 . 〉<> <>〈

: &# 9001; or ⟨ (left-pointing angle bracket = bra)
: &# 9002; or ⟩ (right-pointing angle bracket = ket)

You might like little tails: ›<> <>‹ . ›<> <>‹ . ›<> <>‹

: &# 8249; (single left-pointing angle quotation mark)
: &# 8250; (single right-pointing angle quotation mark)

You might like double tails: »<> <>« . »<> <>« . »<> <>«

left-pointing guillemet «: &# 171; or « (left-pointing double angle quotation mark)
right-pointing guillemet »: &# 187; or » (right-pointing double angle quotation mark)

»〈|〉« swimming away

(my favorites)
[HR][/HR]
Quick Reminder:
If you type the numerical code (take out the space) into the PerC editor and then preview the post, it will convert the code into the symbol. Otherwise you can just go to the site below to browse through symbols and copy/paste it into the editor.

.......|\_/|
........\ ._. /
------ϖ--ϖ-------

Nice :)

You could write a destructables on this

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
: &# 9001; or 〈 (left-pointing angle bracket = bra)
: &# 9002; or 〉 (right-pointing angle bracket = ket)
OK, OK, enough with the Dirac quantum mechanics notation...

.......|\_/|
........\ ._. /
------ϖ--ϖ-------
That brown thing at the left looks like a cranially-offset giraffe's head...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
On Symbols and Interpretations

OK, OK, enough with the Dirac quantum mechanics notation...
*giggle*

I took QM almost 20 years ago ... forgot all about the Bra-Ket notation ...

I just like using unusual symbols to make ASCII art.

That brown thing at the left looks like a cranially-offset giraffe's head...
..........|\_/|
<>〈ΘΘ〉<>
........\ ._. /
-------ϖ-ϖ-------

Uh ... It was supposed to be a happy little owl ...

..........|\_/|
<>〈ΘΘ〉<>
........\ ._. /
....|¯|
....|...|

Here's a giraffe, just for you ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts