Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following functions respect each other:

Ne <--respect--> Si
Ni <--respect--> Se
Te <--respect --> Fi
Fe <-- respect --> Ti

For this reason, there is one type to each of us known as the "conflicting partner". The conflicting partner is the type with whom none of your functions can respect any of the other person's functions and vice versa. This are relations fraught with misunderstanding and disrespect. It's like speaking to someone from another planet. It just doesn't make any sense.

The following pairs are partners of functional disrespect (in MBTI letters):
ISTJ/ENFJ
ISTP/ENFP
INTP/ESFP
INFP/ESTP
INFJ/ESTJ
INTJ/ESFJ
ISFJ/ENTJ
ISFP/ENTP

On the other hand, someone whose primary functions are ones that your primary functions respect are your relations of activity and/or duality.
Duality is supposed to be the most comfortable type relation.
The pairs of duality (in MBTI)
ISTJ/ENFP
ISFJ/ENTP
ISTP/ENFJ
ISFP/ENTJ
INTJ/ESFP
INFJ/ESTP
INTP/ESFJ
INFP/ESTJ

Relations of activity are relationships where your functions are stimulated into activity. But, it's so energized, these relations can be exhausting and, at that point, you just need a small break to remember how much you love the other person.
Relations of Activity:
ISTJ/INFP
ISFJ/INTP
ISTP/INFJ
ISFP/INTJ
ENTJ/ESFP
ENFJ/ESTP
ESTJ/ENFP
ESFJ/ENTP

·
Registered
9,800 Posts

Ne <--respect--> Si
Ni <--respect--> Se
Te <--respect --> Fi
Fe <-- respect --> Ti

For this reason, there is one type to each of us known as the "conflicting partner". The conflicting partner is the type with whom none of your functions can respect any of the other person's functions and vice versa. This are relations fraught with misunderstanding and disrespect. It's like speaking to someone from another planet. It just doesn't make any sense.

ISTJ/ENFJ
ISTP/ENFP
INTP/ESFP
INFP/ESTP
INFJ/ESTJ
INTJ/ESFJ
ISFJ/ENTJ
ISFP/ENTP

On the other hand, someone whose primary functions are ones that your primary functions respect are your relations of activity and/or duality.
Duality is supposed to be the most comfortable type relation.
ISTJ/ENFP
ISFJ/ENTP
ISTP/ENFJ
ISFP/ENTJ
INTJ/ESFP
INFJ/ESTP
INTP/ESFJ
INFP/ESTJ

Relations of activity are relationships where your functions are stimulated into activity. But, it's so energized, these relations can be exhausting and, at that point, you just need a small break to remember how much you love the other person.
Relations of Activity:
ISTJ/INFP
ISFJ/INTP
ISTP/INFJ
ISFP/INTJ
ENTJ/ESFP
ENFJ/ESTP
ESTJ/ENFP
ESFJ/ENTP
Certainly explains why i think ISTP are from Pluto ; )

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I approve. Because I love ENFJ/INFJ's. They encompass all of my current favorite people.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I actually agree with this a lot - at least as far as my experience as an ENFP has been.

I feel so incredibly comfortable with ISTJs. A disproportionately large number of my friends are ISTJS.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
My best friend is ENFJ.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is interesting! Though, one of my roommates in college tested as ISTJ, and we were really good friends. Though, that may be caused by the novelty of not understanding each other's thoughts.

Though, on the other side of it, another friend tests as ISTP and we get along very well. Even if we 'argue'. I'll huff around for a bit, and then she'll ask if I'm still mad. And like magic, all my anger or frustration deflates. It's weird and awesome.

·
Registered
745 Posts
By these correlations and the types of people that I get along with (INTJs and ENTJs), I would be more of an ISFP....

·
Registered
45 Posts
ESFJ/ISFJ best pairing for me? Sorry, don't buy it!
I really like this ESFJ/ISFJ girl. The reason being her complementing me perfectly. I am bored, she provides activity. I am disorganised, she provides organisation. I am prone to lose connections for being to distant, she reconnects people. I agree though that if she was the only person I could talk to I would go crazy with "listen to reason for gods sake!", but she's not, and even if she where my girlfirend we wouldn't have had to spend ALL the time together.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts

Ne <--respect--> Si
Ni <--respect--> Se
Te <--respect --> Fi
Fe <-- respect --> Ti
In reality, I don't find this to be true. These functions are opposites, and your opposite is always your inferior function. People tend to find those who have their inferior function as dominant grating. That's because they project the flaws & insecurities of their inferior onto the person who has it as dominant.

Of course, Jung has the whole anima/animus theory, but I think it's taken too literally when applied to romantic relationships (which is what Socionics does, which is basically what this thread is discussing).

ISTJ/ENFJ
ISTP/ENFP
INTP/ESFP
INFP/ESTP
INFJ/ESTJ
INTJ/ESFJ
ISFJ/ENTJ
ISFP/ENTP
I usually get along pretty well with ESTPs, even if we don't often become close friends. Even though we use different functions, there is some similarity in the "Pe+Ji" mindset. I've only had one epically bad ending to an ESTP friendship.....

ISTJ/ENFP
ISFJ/ENTP
ISTP/ENFJ
ISFP/ENTJ
INTJ/ESFP
INFJ/ESTP
INTP/ESFJ
INFP/ESTJ
If I had an arch nemesis, then it would be an ESTJ. There are a few I get along with casually, but it's been a pattern in my life to clash with them. This seems typical among other INFPs also...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In reality, I don't find this to be true. These functions are opposites, and your opposite is always your inferior function. People tend to find those who have their inferior function as dominant grating. That's because they project the flaws & insecurities of their inferior onto the person who has it as dominant.

Of course, Jung has the whole anima/animus theory, but I think it's taken too literally when applied to romantic relationships (which is what Socionics does, which is basically what this thread is discussing).

I usually get along pretty well with ESTPs, even if we don't often become close friends. Even though we use different functions, there is some similarity in the "Pe+Ji" mindset. I've only had one epically bad ending to an ESTP friendship.....

If I had an arch nemesis, then it would be an ESTJ. There are a few I get along with casually, but it's been a pattern in my life to clash with them. This seems typical among other INFPs also...
Yes, I have no idea how ESTJs and INFPs get along. But, on the other hand, when I have cracked through the icy outer shell of ESTJs I have found that inside is a gushy, sweet, lovey monster. But see that's the problem. Extraverts always overlook their introverted dual. And a lot of that has to do with their upbringing and experiences.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, I want to just say one thing about my use of the word "respect." By "respect" I am implying that "respect" requires a level of understanding. It means that I see something and understand it enough to admire it's qualities.
In this way, I think respect can be accumulated through the process of understanding.
In the past, when I've experienced disrespect it has been on account of the other person not understanding anything I was doing or saying or the reasoning behind it.
When I have lost respect for people it has similarly been because I lost understanding for the other person's perspective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts