Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what functions lead to a sense of duty and what types were most likely to have that.
For example, what types would suffer from an overactive superego and such?

Reactions: Stephen

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Probably Extraverted Judgment functions because of the appeal to external sensibilities. But we should be careful to not universalize this. You could be in a society where the prevailing wisdom was hedonism and usurping responsibilities and Fe and Te would play right along.

Generally speaking these traits though are much more related to someone's persona image than they are to type. Big 5 and 5 factor model tests have a factor called Conscientiousness which is what we are really talking about here and the degree of conscientiousness is largely determined by upbringing, socialization, environmental issues, what you want to be seen as (or what you don't want to be seen as), etc.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both!
I've found that my INFJ sister and friend are both very duty bound, as well as my ENFJ mother.
I'm (ISFP) quite duty bound, but also very flaky and run from alot (working on it!) and it seems similar for my ISFJ friend (although she's not flaky like me).
An ESFJ I know has no sense of duty to anyone, it's what suits her best and same with the INTP I know.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a very strong sense of duty, but IMO that has far more to do with my cultural upbringing (the self-effacing, stoical, communitarian "Minnesota Nice" culture of the Upper Midwest) than with my type. The superego is always in my ear whispering "should" and "must".

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
I think this lies in the realm of the Enneagram. I can't conjure up a correlation with MBTI. I'm not duty bound to other people or my conscience, but generally am to my goals.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Responsibilities are good, obligations doesn't go well for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think introverted sensing functions remind me of my duty and extraverted judging functions let me perform my duty.

Example: When I use Ti and Se I can take in my environment very well, but I'm not going to do anything with it other then study it. When I switch over to Ni, I suddenly remember my long term goals and when I use Fe, I remember that I want to be seen as a person you can rely on.
If I don't do my work when I'm in NF mode, I feel weak minded, untrustworthy, flaky, lazy and a burden to everyone

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I'd agree about Je functions being big motivators. Since mine is least developed I have a hard time fulfilling duties at times, even though I feel pressure to carry them out. I don't like being the slack in the rope but I'm a fairly aimless and lazy muddafuck, so...

The two Pi functions probably shape the idea of duty, and as to what expectations there are to carrying out duty. I'm an Si-user so my vision of duty is shaped by how I notice other people doing and reacting to whatever I'm doing and comparing it to how things look when I do things differently. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Doesn't really matter. I've worked with many ESTJs over the years, and wanna know what is the nearly 100% correlate of their work ethic? Whether or not they served in the military.

But I suppose Si would be the strongest function correlate, as users are determined to keep things the same.

I would think an overactive superego would be the result of a dominant or well-developed introverted feeling function.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I was wondering what functions lead to a sense of duty and what types were most likely to have that.
For example, what types would suffer from an overactive superego and such?
Unsure how this would manifest in MBTI, in the enneagram Type 1 and 6 I know are superego types. You could try how those corelate with the MBTI. I know E6 can be any type.....but IXXP and ISFJ is the most common E6. E1 would be ISTJ most common I guess.

So...Si and Fi, maybe Ti, Fe types, maybe Te?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
INFP here. If I'm being honest (and what's the point of not doing so, haha) I'm pretty bad with responsibilities and downright awful with obligations. I'm not the most mentally healthy of individuals, though; in my better times, I'm more able to follow through with both of those. I still wouldn't ever say that I have a very strong sense of duty, though. I don't really consider very much in life to be a duty, even at my healthiest. I'd say I'm some combination of anti-authoritarian and... well, flaky. Haha.

I'm not sure if I'm in any way representative of INFPs in general, though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a very strong sense of duty, but IMO that has far more to do with my cultural upbringing (the self-effacing, stoical, communitarian "Minnesota Nice" culture of the Upper Midwest) than with my type. The superego is always in my ear whispering "should" and "must".
'Minnesota Nice' - hahaha! Minnesotans, as well as people from Wisconsin, are SO RIDICULOUSLY NICE!!! As a general observation, of course. This just struck me funny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts