Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm only 17 and I am really getting into all of this MBTI stuff. I am constantly thinking about it and always finding new information on functions, how to recognize when you are using them and how to develop them.
So, I want to make a thread about the functions of MBTI types.. Not just about the ISTJ though.

I first have a question, as I am young and most likely only developing my second function should I not be worrying about developing my Fi or Ne but try and develop my Te?

·
Registered
647 Posts
This book excerpt might be helpful to you. When I posted the excerpt I didn't know if her ideas would work but after trying them for a while I'm finding that they do. They're a bit general, so I'm not really sure if it's specific enough to distinguish between introversion or extroversion, but since both my Ni and Ne are so low I didn't bother being picky.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I seriously doubt that it is possible to actually develop a specific cognitive function. They work in a very fluid manner with the other functions, so anything done in an attempt to help one will naturally help the others.

I would suggest on identifying my shortcomings and work on self-development in those areas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seriously doubt that it is possible to actually develop a specific cognitive function. They work in a very fluid manner with the other functions, so anything done in an attempt to help one will naturally help the others.

I would suggest on identifying my shortcomings and work on self-development in those areas.
I understand, I've been reading a lot about it all but maybe I was being a little too specific with developing functions.

another questions what do you mean when you say shortcomings? I have never come across that before..

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
another questions what do you mean when you say shortcomings? I have never come across that before..
I guess @Qadosh is using some of that ISTJ dry humor, since we've talked about this type of thing at length on this forum.

Below is a link with some additional reading. The linked site is pretty good, so don't limit yourself to that single web page.

Personal Growth

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
This thread is AWESOME. And this one has neat info about Si, which as a type ruled by Si you might just have some interest in.

And also, auxiliary T in ISTJs does NOT necessarily have to be Te. That's far too restrictive for all the sorts of Si dominants who are primarily thinking in their judgement type. Same deal with tertiary F. While the dominant and inferior should be very stark (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), the auxiliary and tertiary are much more fluid, and can been seen to waver about. Now, in me, my T is indeed primarily extroverted and my F is primarily introverted, but not all ISTJs are the same in that regard. And note primarily. I used to agonize over how I still seem sometimes have Fe, but it is not any bad sign to see fluid or even no clear orientations of the auxiliary and tertiary. It in fact shows that you are a normal human being.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
And also, auxiliary T in ISTJs does NOT necessarily have to be Te. That's far too restrictive for all the sorts of Si dominants who are primarily thinking in their judgement type. Same deal with tertiary F. While the dominant and inferior should be very stark (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), the auxiliary and tertiary are much more fluid, and can been seen to waver about. Now, in me, my T is indeed primarily extroverted and my F is primarily introverted, but not all ISTJs are the same in that regard. And note primarily. I used to agonize over how I still seem sometimes have Fe, but it is not any bad sign to see fluid or even no clear orientations of the auxiliary and tertiary. It in fact shows that you are a normal human being.
From what I've observed, when it appears that someone is reversing the direction of energy in their functions, it is usually a tertiary loop causing the incorrect assessment. The direction of energy in the particular function is not reversed, in as much as a reversal of function order, or an emphasis of another function is being forced by the individual. This can cause type confusion and unhealthy behaviors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My two cents, is that the biggest thing you can get from MBTI and Cognitive information is understanding how you are now, and how others are. The more significant can actually be understanding others. Before I got into the MBTI I was totally lost when it came to interactions with others. Especially my mother and brother. Now, I get along WAY better. Your very wise to be looking into this at such a young age. I didn't start looking into it until I was in my 30's almost. I wish I knew about it in my teens.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Judging functions summary

Here's a simple way to understand the judging functions. The ones that are relevant personally to an ISTJ are Te and Fi.

Te is about facts and Ti is about systems. So if Te and Ti were making a table of data, Ti would design the table itself, and Te would put the data into the cells. Put another way, Ti is macro, while Te is micro. You can see it as an analog to Fe and Fi as well that way. Fe is situation-dependent and specific, adaptive, circumstantial, factual, while Fi is broader and systemic, looking for consistency in terms of fairness.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Here's a simple way to understand the judging functions. The ones that are relevant personally to an ISTJ are Te and Fi.

Te is about facts and Ti is about systems. So if Te and Ti were making a table of data, Ti would design the table itself, and Te would put the data into the cells. Put another way, Ti is macro, while Te is micro. You can see it as an analog to Fe and Fi as well that way. Fe is situation-dependent and specific, adaptive, circumstantial, factual, while Fi is broader and systemic, looking for consistency in terms of fairness.
You are right, but I think there is some room for confusion in the Te vs. Ti description. I think of it as Te is situation dependent, choosing to use the scalability of the information at hand to develop its own system, while Ti is less situation dependent and will tend to develop its system in a manner that appears more abstract and arrived at independently of the information at hand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all of your information is really useful, it's only been a few days but I can easily determine the difference between the use of Te and Ti, Fi and Fe only really in example.
Fi: 'I agree with you on the outside, but not in the inside because I don't want any conflict'
Fe: 'Aww, look a stray duck, lets feed, raise and nurture him till he's big and strong enough to be on his own'
Ti: (Slowly getting quieter and quieter as the conversation goes)'will you shutup for one moment?'
Te: 'Do what I say just because.. and no 'buts'!'

But with myself is a little bit harder (with Fi and Ne) to determine when and where I would call on those funcitons. The use of Fi as Tertiary is kind of hard to come across. but I definitely use Fi; one of my friends don't call me 'the Apache chief' because of my Tomahawk skills. but consistent, emotionless, straight and boring facial movements. as far as Ne goes.. I don't take people at face value even at conversation; I also try and interpret what somebodies actions really means.

I'm just rambling on now, I'm in that kind of rambling state and I'm having fun with it actually.

Also, this post is 1/8 useful

1 - 17 of 17 Posts