Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends have said in the past that I'm a pretty funny guy and that I'm not a serious person. It is true that I make a lot of facetious remarks and sarcastic observations, and I can also be silly and use lighthearted humor a lot of times. I don't see myself as a very serious person at all (unless things need to get done), which seems to be contrary to the picture that a lot of descriptions paint about INTJs (dark, brooding individuals with a dark and twisted sense of humor; don't get me wrong, I also enjoy dark humor, but it's not the only type of humor that I like).

What do you guys think? Do you consider yourselves funny or goofy? Or do you think you are a very serious person? Do you think that INTJs can be funny? I look forward to your answers :)

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
My friends, family, and co-workers all generally regard me as the goofiest they know.
:tongue:
I often get compared to Jim Carrey who's an ENFP.

Reactions: Mr Castelo

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
You rang (?)

Making specimen(s) laugh is all apart of the (Te). It can also look (Fe)-like. Your "extroverted" energy is showing via the 'external-functions,' - which will always harbor outer-expressions of vitality, vigor - and, interest in a rendezvous with other humanoids, humor.

I am the life of the small-group; (&) the internal structure of the masses.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I won't out any INTJs who don't come in here and volunteer it, but I know several with whom I've been acquainted for years, as well as two I am friends with (Skype, phone calls, et cetera), and when they are healthy, trusting, they are as funny as any ESFP or other humorous 'type.'

Don't let the stereotypes and OKStupid kinds of questionnaires and assertions spoil your holistic output:

Be yourself, including goofy, dry, and whatever other kinds of expressions you can still unself-consciously enjoy making, sharing.

We need INTJs like you!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
When people initially see me, they think I'm kinda humorless and always serious. However, they learn over time that I'm kinda goofy and good-humored - something they can also see on my social media.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
I can be goofy, silly, and even ::gasp:: playful around people I know really well.

I would imagine to most observers, I'm "too serious". I have noticed that I have become more serious as I age, too. For example, in my teens and early 20s, I was much more goofy but by now, I'm more serious than goofy. Perhaps it's because socializing isn't as much of a focus for those with kids and are partnered up already.

@Green Girl the Jellybaga thread - perfect example of my humor.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
884 Posts
When you connect with a joke, you laugh. People really appreciate dark and mean sarcastic humour, as demonstrated by top comedians everywhere, because they are capable of mentally arriving at the necessary place. The value of these jokes generally lie in "Shock;" your audience cannot believe you just said that and or they are surprised you could transport them to that specific mental space. Other than solid imagination, the ability to be successful with this brand of humour comes from a willingness and practice to say what others will not, to gamble with or not care for how others will perceive you in the aftermath. The only goal is making the specific connection.

The appeal to practicing this humour for people of an "INTJ" disposition may, at this point, be obvious. They tend to only be sensitive to perceptions of a small pool of people, they question and therefore tend to push boundaries, and they enjoy implanting complex and abstract ideas into the heads of others. So the stereotype, which lends itself to some truth, that "INTJs" are characterised by dark and sarcastic humour has a lot to do with them freely dispensing it in contrast to the average individual. This is to say your humour's strongest point is not necessarily this brand at all, rather you just may be more apt to utilise it.

My humour primarily lends itself toward absurdity and satire. I try to either obscure and nest the connections or points I am attempting to make within the ridiculous, or I am inflating the ideas themselves astronomically. Sort of extreme ends of appreciation. This said, I am even willing to tell jokes I realise are mostly terrible so long as I think whoever I am talking with will get a little something from the connection I am attempting to make with them. And that said, I am quite the silly idiot in conversations I have with friends. Jokes are an excellent form of intellectual stimulation, you get to make someone else feel good even briefly, and you are seen as more likeable.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know I'm getting into semantics here, but I wouldn't consider myself "goofy". It reminds me of my ISTJ friend who literally is goofy and somewhat derpy in his attitude. I often look at him and say, "Can you act like a fucking adult, that would be great," which he responds with, "You're being a jerk today."

I would consider myself being somewhat playful, kind of like a watered down and far more sarcastic ESFP. It's a mixture of being overly sexual in my humor, a certain level of crudeness, and sometimes being physically playful. Nothing annoys me more than when I'm hanging out with somebody who thinks acting like a 5 year old child is cute and lovely.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
People tell me I have a good sense of humor, and while I enjoy dark humor greatly I can also be very goofy at times. INTJs are seen as brooding and serious because we put Te ahead of Fi, but the people who know us well get to see that latter aspect too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts