Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some of the videos in one of the threads , "videos that make you lol," and some of them bothered me a little. This is not the first time; I usually cannot watch videos where somebody is pranked, embarrassed, or hurt. I especially become disturbed when I watch some of these fail videos where someone is badly hurt or movies that revolve around adultery or rape. Does anybody else experience these feelings?

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I was watching some of the videos in one of the threads , "videos that make you lol," and some of them bothered me a little. This is not the first time; I usually cannot watch videos where somebody is pranked, embarrassed, or hurt. I especially become disturbed when I watch some of these fail videos where someone is badly hurt or movies that revolve around adultery or rape. Does anybody else experience these feelings?
I relate. I think it has to do with a person's level of empathy.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Sometimes I laugh at these things not because I think they're funny, but because I get so disillusioned at humanity for some of the things that we do to one another that laughing is the only thing I can come up at that time.

It's more like a shameful laugh than a happy laugh if you get my drift.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
i don't feel like laughing when someone falls or gets hurt (physically or emotionally)...it's not funny...and i don't appreciate humor that makes fun of people failing at whatever they are trying to do. humor is only funny if no one is hurt in the process...

·
Super Moderator
11,516 Posts
Sometimes I laugh at these things not because I think they're funny, but because I get so disillusioned at humanity for some of the things that we do to one another that laughing is the only thing I can come up at that time.

It's more like a shameful laugh than a happy laugh if you get my drift.
I do believe you are saying: that you laugh because laughter gets you past the pain? I believe this is a self-preservation mechanism. You feel very deeply about the insensitivity that humanity dishes out.

I cry inside.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I do believe you are saying: that you laugh because laughter gets you past the pain? I believe this is a self-preservation mechanism. You feel very deeply about the insensitivity that humanity dishes out.

I cry inside.
Oh yes it's definitely a mechanism. I am that kind of person that'd be tighten up to a tree being beaten to death with a stick, and instead of crying, I'll be laughing my ass off. Don't ask me why I do this, though. Not even I understand.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Super Moderator
11,516 Posts
Oh yes it's definitely a mechanism. I am that kind of person that'd be tighten up to a tree being beaten to death with a stick, and instead of crying, I'll be laughing my ass off. Don't ask me why I do this, though. Not even I understand.
I do understand. I've done this myself. Laugh when I shouldn't. I'm crying inside as I laugh. Seriously. I call it part of my warrior.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can't stand those Funniest Home Videos type shows where people get hurt. Not only is it not funny, but it makes me sad to hear the audience laugh at them. I've seen some clips where people had terrible accidents and looked like they might have been seriously injured--and people laugh! Now that I think more about it, it makes me angry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, I never found "Funniest Home Video's" remotely funny (and it usually consists of people falling off trampolines or swimming boards)... but i don't think anyone finds that show hilarious anywho :p

·
Registered
359 Posts
I hate those shows where people send in videos of someone being hurt or embarrassed.

When I'm watching a TV show (fictional) and someone gets embarrassed or makes a mistake, I reflexively change the channel for about 10 seconds until I think the moment is over, it's like a habit. If it's a show I've already seen, I'll know the moment is coming and skip out on that part or if I'm watching it online I'll pause and walk away or switch to another tab so at least I can't see it.

I know that might be a bit weird but does anyone else do this?

·
Registered
710 Posts
^^^^
I feel like that when watching americas funniest home videos I just end up whining and being all like OwwwWWWie that looked so painful!!!

my ENFP sister always loved that show and I'm just like O_O make it stop
...ok a few things are funny but most..... ;-; God it looks like it hurts so bad

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yikes. This describes me perfectly...

I'm highly sensitive to people getting hurt emotionally or physically, whether because of a prank or an accident- it doesn't matter.
I tried to watch Punk'd the other day and ended up crying for Taylor Swift. (Mean, mean, MEAN prank!) Real crying, too. Not just tears.
I chalk some of this up to being a highly sensitive person (HSP)...they say that HSPs are likely to be more sensitive to violent or disturbing material, whether in real life, in literature, in movies, etc...
Honestly, I can barely watch some clips of Family Guy, and hardly any clips from South Park. Even though it's not real, it upsets me so deeply I can't keep watching. My ISTJ brother and ENTP husband love stuff like that...Yuck!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
the videos are kind of funny. If you really think about it it's painful. Actually. It's more shocking to me than funny. That's kind of what makes it funny because you're waiting for something to happen. Then you see the guy come out of the recycling bin next to a vending machine wearing a gorilla mask, and then the black guy punches the gorilla man in the face. You don't see it coming. Yeah I guess it's not that funny. I kind of like watching videos for the suspense.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Well, this is kind of awkward. I happen to have a morbid sense of humor. I do find amusement in watching people hurting themselves. Most of the time it's because we are all kind of stupid and clumsy and we end up doing something that's bound to end in pain. I think it's ok to laugh it off when the situation permits the bystander to do so. Still, I can never understand why people would find rape funny. That's beyond any justification.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tend to laugh at these situations ( as long as someone isn't seriously hurt ) its funny for me as it reminds me of some of my own painful experiences.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the videos are kind of funny. If you really think about it it's painful. Actually. It's more shocking to me than funny. That's kind of what makes it funny because you're waiting for something to happen. Then you see the guy come out of the recycling bin next to a vending machine wearing a gorilla mask, and then the black guy punches the gorilla man in the face. You don't see it coming. Yeah I guess it's not that funny. I kind of like watching videos for the suspense.
Actually, prank videos are some of my favourite humorous things. But only when they don't hurt people. A bit of discomfort, like getting wet, is no big deal; life is full of discomfort. I think a part of why I like them is because most people walk through life like robots, completely unaware of the bigger picture and a bucket of water over the head gives them a wake up call to be more aware of the hidden things in life. Stuff like this is some of my favourite things in day-to-day life:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts