Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys.
I am 18 years old student from Poland. Although I planned my future, I have got currently huge doubts about it and I am feeling lost when it comes to my further education. And this year I pass final exams…
(I have nowhere to complain about it and I believe that this is a place full of level-headed, mature people, which would I advise the younger one. Any help would be appreciated)

I was planning to study Economics or Business (I've chosen already some differing studies in these branches in UCAS) abroad (most likely in UK - Scotland), however, I'm not really convinced about my future.
I am overall a very good student and I have also got very high potential, proved by professional psychological tests. I do not want to waste it after all and I have a feeling like during these 3 years of high school I have been lost somewhere. I've learned and learn still to the final exams (it is called Matura Exam here), albeit I have never been secured about what I want to do.
Thus I have chosen economics, as I somehow like the subject. I am also thinking about business.
However, in first case I find my maths being too weak. I have strongly advanced dysgraphia (I needed to train to read myself out lol), what truly disturbs my calculations. I do not see myself getting through final exams with good score despite the fact I learn. I have lost motivation to learn it and right now I cannot even focus at that, as I cannot see me doing it well. I have never found it somehow interesting, to be honest, I have chosen that subject for my studies. And it seems to result badly.
It is also mostly necessary by unis provided I apply for business. However, it matters much less later. But I think that average business studies are not interesting at all. I like the idea of having my own business, I would like to know how to do well with firm, but the knowledge itself seems to, hmmm, "dry" to me? I also cannot see myself working in corporation in a future, I mean in a society, where I will have to obey something. I can have a damaged perception, as I am looking mainly through an example of my country (the culture of work is not really uncommon, despite the fact we are in EU) - but it is how it looks right now.
Also, providing that I do not end the school with a good maths result, I cannot really expect to get into top-of-the-edge university. I don't know whether I want to study that course at first better uni.
I compensate it with humanistics strongly, this is why I am wondering right now about changing my path and following that why, although it would give me less money. There would be also a chance that I would pass through the elite university. I even have a potential plan what I could be doing (most likely Psychology or Law).
But right now I'm stucked. I won't change my whole UK application, as I would have to rewrite my personal statement and reference completely and to look after another courses while I'm not also fully convinced.
I can study in Poland, but personally I cannot see myself studying anything humanistic here - a job market here is truly in bad situation in that branch. (Maybe if I would try with sinology...) It is much better with economics, especially when attending one of the best schools here, but also not perfect. To be honest, only a programmer can be secured of his job in that country. This is why I am looking forward to migrate earlier or later. And the paper made here does not guarantee me finding good post outside my country's borders.
I also feel not comfortable when it goes to leaving my country right now. I leave in capital (Warsaw) and I would have an access to good studies (well on my country level) without spending money on additional trips, I would live in my parents home for some time and it would be much easier to live there for me. I am afraid of homesickness and missing my few friends too. Not only that, but I also find myself not prepared for it. But in opposite, leaving my country so early would give me much more benefits in a future...
Combining it all with my ambition, I feel overwhelmed. I am wondering maybe between three options and I am waiting for one's help.
1. Study abroad no matter the results. Get over it and wait for an offer. Try the studies, supposing you do not like them, you can abandon them.
2. Study in your country, Poland. At least for a bachelor's degree, meanwhile you can do some Erasmus stuff.
You can leave for magistrate. You can also study something different here, for example sinology.
3. Do the gap year and... apply to Oxford for Psychology (most likely). At least try.
Ok, why Oxford?
Everybody knows the reputation, but...
Well, I think that it would be most risky, but it would match my ambitions at best. And maybe it would prove that it would be the best option. I would feel most fulfilled and it would guarantee me both a subject which interest me and a job. Also a trip of life.
But I would probably to wait one more year, now it is to late to apply.
Considering only my humanistic exams, it is an attainable goal for me. But I don't know whether it is worth the risk.

What would you do?

Ok, it is everything for a moment.
Sorry for a bit chaotic style and some English mistakes, to be honest, I have written it somehow in hurry, thus I do not have time to correct it. >.>

(Damn, it seems that I've posted in wrong thread. You can move it to the education or somewhere else, please, if possible. Sorry for that, I am overtired definitely)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I will revisit this thread when I'm not as tired, but for now I would like to advise that you shouldn't push yourself so hard into things you don't want to do, because you'll burn out your interest very quickly. This is especially relevant in modern academia. Perhaps you could take a moment to consider you might not need to invest your time into university, as there are plenty of opportunities to make plenty of money nowadays.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
University is only so much as the job you get out of the end of it. If you don’t need a job that is in the working industry (i.e. accounting, medicine, lawyer, researching,etc) don’t go to university, do a short course in some field (I.e. arts, programming, etc) and see how it goes. It’s very common for uni students to transfer from program to program , as they were initially confused. (Usually about how their identity connects to the degree and the realistic options of what that degree would allow them to do for their own lives practically).

so please take into consideration, what your local industry has in terms of jobs. Do a job search . Type “legal” into indeed.com and see if you would like to apply to one of those jobs, or type “psychology” or “counselling” into indeed.com and tell me if you would like to work there. (This would have done wonders for me if I started like this before, I started uni dammit)

Judging from your responses, I see you use Te in the secondary position (you structured everything so logically and clearly, it’s very direct and easy to read although, it is long at the same time)

i believe this sort of thinking would do wonders in law school. (I myself was in law school for a period of time, so I know the expectations myself)

Please do this CBT thought trick to help you make decisions, if someone else were to do what you are doing, what’s the best rote or options they could take? (Give me as much detail as possible, and try to add any potential fall outs, alongside any wins).

I reveal the purpose of this exercise after you have answered it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Getting into Oxford is not big deal. You could probably transfer with the grades from uni itself.

I thought the same way as you entering, but then I realized, who wins at life, is the person with the most skills. Employers (and other people) want people with skills (or knowledge related to skills), and prestige doesn’t guarantee that.

There are harvard grads who are YouTubers and nothing more. Lol meanwhile Einstein went to his local technical college and Nikola Tesla was a local dropout as well, and a gambler. They still ended up changing the world as we know it.

The gap year thing is a “who cares” thing for me. You will be the same with or without it. You can’t find out who you are, in a single year, and it’s a longer process than that. Also, experience is the best teacher. If you don’t like what you are doing (at university or any other aspect of life) you will change to something you do like or that does represent you, it’s no big deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts