Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this would be better in the main music thread but I was wondering if there are any big INFPs who are fans of garage rock/retro psychedelia? I'm not sure if this music really represents my INFP-ness but it really hits me in a visceral kind of way and is probably my favourite genre.
I'm really digging this guy at the moment

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm listening to these bands right now, which I think are inside that type of sound: Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Deerhunter, Tame Impala.

I'm interested basically in any sound that can be associated with this words: post-rock, raw, psychedelic, pop, hypnotic, slow tempo, fast tempo, subtle melodies, continuous, surf rock, garage, baroque pop, shoegaze...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, music hits the ol' brain in the sweet spot like no other art form. I don't know if this kind of music is INFP, per se, but I've liked some similar stuff from a pretty young age.

My dad enjoyed the 50s music he grew up with, and I used to listen to oldies radio stations with him. The first time I heard the song Incense and Peppermints (one of the earliest psychedelic songs) I was only about 10 years old, but it was like a switch went on in my head. And of course this was well before any drug experimentation phase!

From my teens I've been into the Beatles, the Byrds, Grateful Dead, etc., and I can get into contemporary indie and experimental stuff, as well. I think in general Intuitives enjoy "weird" or challenging music where any lyrics are surreal or ambiguous, as opposed to popular or straightahead tunes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Love psychedelic music. Unlike straight-out experimental music, there's something inherently gentle and solicitous about the atmosphere and its sounds. It's music that has been brought out from the deepest part of the subconscious. Fragments of memory that would create a thought is instead translated into music.:crazy:

Pink Floyd's - Wish You Were Here, is one of the greatest psychedelic album of all time. Listening to that is an experience so grand that it's almost cinematic. Like a soundtrack to a film that doesn't exist. (I once listened to this album on vinyl on a $20,000 sound system at a friend's house - fookin life changing:laughing:)

In neo-psychedelia, I like Warpaint, Tame Impala and Caribou (new album is fantastic)

I've always thought trip-hop was incredibly psychedelic. The obvious: Portishead, Massive Attack

This borders more on experimental, but I personally think is very psychedelic:
Darkside (Also, Nicolas Jarr by himself)

Must watch in its entirety:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah it's some of my favorite music. A lot of the music I was raised on (and still love) includes The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and Pink Floyd, and a lot of what I've discovered myself includes Deerhunter, The Olivia Tremor Control, Animal Collective and anything on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLazylazyme (which is maybe more dream pop or something like that but still)

For example, here's a song I've been listening to obsessively since I discovered it:

Very very relatable lyrics as well as a lovely sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts