Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Liquid Rectangle Azure Fluid

Registered
What if the gods themselves gaslight you. I've realized mental illness is a more dubious concept than first realized. I realized this after wondering which of ten mental disorders I had and realized I fit all of them.
That almost certainly means you have an incorrect understanding of them

Registered
@horseloverfat

I get what you're saying. However, I can confirm that when you meet a practitioner that knows their stuff an accurate diagnosis can be life-changing. The problem is that it's hard to find them - & especially those with enough experience to understand the nuances of certain conditions.

The problem with the internet is that it's made some folks feel like they are suddenly experts because of easy access to information online. This becomes especially problematic when it comes to psychology; there is a lot of BS out there being promoted by grifters who have learnt the lingo enough to get away with making it sound like they know what they are talking about.

Registered
@horseloverfat

I get what you're saying. However, I can confirm that when you meet a practitioner that knows their stuff an accurate diagnosis can be life-changing. The problem is that it's hard to find them - & especially those with enough experience to understand the nuances of certain conditions.

The problem with the internet is that it's made some folks feel like they are suddenly experts because of easy access to information online. This becomes especially problematic when it comes to psychology; there is a lot of BS out there being promoted by grifters who have learnt the lingo enough to get away with making it sound like they know what they are talking about.
I guess if it helps someone then its ok. If a diagnoses makes you feel better. However words have power, your doctor could tell you something and you believe it to be true because they are the authority. A kind of placebo effect of self limiting beliefs. Medical gaslighting is quite common and the concern in mental health is that normal emotions or experiences and belief systems become pathologized. I distrust authority by default and anyone should when they are confronted with a supposed diagnoses that can affect them for their entire life. The problem stems from trusting authority figures over oneself.

Registered
@horseloverfat

It's not that the diagnosis helps me to feel better; it's that now I have a more accurate understanding of why I'm struggling in specific ways, which further enables me to find appropriate methods of managing (whether that includes medication, therapy, or lifestyle changes). Without this kind of support I would probably end up homeless or in a psychiatric hospital (which has actually happened before).

That said, I agree with you about medical gaslighting. Although, in a lot of cases I'd argue that this is more due to inherent bias and institutional incompetence, rather than actions that are deliberately malicious. I wouldn't say that I am predisposed to be distrustful of authority, but do have enough life experience to appreciate that it's important to apply critical thinking & to ask for second opinions where necessary.

Host
What if the gods themselves gaslight you. I've realized mental illness is a more dubious concept than first realized. I realized this after wondering which of ten mental disorders I had and realized I fit all of them.

Where do you think we learned it from? We create god(s) in our own image, after all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts