Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, crazy kids!

There are a lot of factors when it comes to 'flavoring' your MBTI type, if you will. Enneagram, instinctual variants, culture, environment, etc. Do you feel that your gender has had any effect on your MBTI type? Obviously it may influences others' views of you in various ways, but do you feel it's affected you personally?

(For just one example, some female T types may feel they are less feminine, or some male F types may feel less masculine.)

**Note: By gender, I mean the one you identify as. Obviously, sometimes the biology doesn't match up, nor should it have to.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
It did in the context of relationships, romantic ones specifically.

Before I got into my current relationship and knew about my type, I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to be the primarily pragmatic one in my marriage. When I found out that I was an INFJ and that I was likely to end up with an ENxP, that was a little discouraging. They're wonderful (I'm in a very happy relationship with an ENFP now), but they are anything but pragmatic. This does make me feel like I'm the one that's more stereotypically "masculine" when it comes to things like that, which isn't what I was expecting.

But, as I said, I'm more than satisfied with my current situation. I'm glad that things turned out the way that they did.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Can't say that it has.

Obviously I'm more sensitive and emotionally driven than most males, but it never made me feel "less" of a man.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm I am a female in my appearance/personality/mannerisms but I often feel like a male in my thinking style.

I am not into shopping. I only go shopping when I have something important to buy.
I am not into gossip. I often see females gossiping about each other, but I couldn't care less.
I don't really talk much about boys. My female friends can often spend hours discussing about their crushes/boyfriends.

I don't know whether this has anything to do with my mbti type, or perhaps it's more related to my family background since I grew up with 3 brothers so this ended up making my thinking style a bit tomboyish.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hmm I am a female in my appearance/personality/mannerisms but I often feel like a male in my thinking style.

I am not into shopping. I only go shopping when I have something important to buy.
I am not into gossip. I often see females gossiping about each other, but I couldn't care less.
I don't really talk much about boys. My female friends can often spend hours discussing about their crushes/boyfriends.

I don't know whether this has anything to do with my mbti type, or perhaps it's more related to my family background since I grew up with 3 brothers so this ended up making my thinking style a bit tomboyish.
I can relate to all of these behaviors. (Although I'm an only child, so it wasn't a result of siblings)

Cultural expectations of how a female should act made typing myself difficult. How can you identify learned behaviors when you learned them before you were consciously aware of them? They hit a level of familiarity that makes it really hard to differentiate.

·
Registered
18 Posts

This is very relatable :) I don't have any siblings though, but I've always found things like lego bionicles/mindstorms, robotics and hobby kits fun to play with... I guess that's probably my science and engineering nut tendencies coming out though.
My friends are low maintenance and mostly males and some likeminded females (although that's probably no coincidence due to the demographic of my classes :th_woot: )

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I feel like the original thought is in reverse. I was born male. Women around me paid more attention to me than men so I grew up picking up a lot of feminine programming. That is part of what makes me the imaginative, integrative, impulsive, emotional and caring INFJ that I seem to be today.

I often suspect that if the men in my life had completely ignored me I would've been INFP. Dad's "salt of the earth" style kept me somewhat grounded in reality.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I find that my gender and personality type have made life difficult for me. I'm a very emotional person and I've felt like I've had to suppress/bottle my emotions up all my life just to not be picked on or be accepted in society. The pressure to appear masculine in society has been a constant cause of stress for me as it's not who I am or want to act. I've found myself wishing I had been born female as I feel that I would be judged less/accepted for the NF qualities I have.

So what I'm trying to say is I find that my gender and personality type conflict with ideals of male and female in society. Due do that conflict I've had to suppress my feeling side, and feel that my (physical) gender and personality type are mismatched. Despite the mismatch I'm still male, heterosexual and INFJ.

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts
I was born and (live in) a society where women have to work hard to prove their worth, plus I was raised by my grandparents (generational issues) There were things that were expected "naturally" from me just because I was a girl and so there have always been this internal conflict between not wanting to disappoint them (my loved ones) and the things I wanted to do or better said how I wanted to do things.

There were things I couldn´t do, some freedom I couldn´t access just because I am a female while my brother on the other hand was allowed to all that and more just because he´s a male.
I wouldn´t say I was a rebel but
I´ve never been all that "orthodox" with my ways to do things either(searching uniqueness and wanting to be creative) and that would annoy people around me (mostly my mom lol)

There were a lot of Aha! moments when I found out about my MBTI type and most of all my enneagram type.
I confess I felt certain sense of comfort after finding that out about me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Being an F has always made me feel less masculine. Of course, being short has also made me feel less masculine. I remember in elementary school (at least when I was a kid) the smaller boys were often picked on by the bigger boys, and I was no exception. It made me feel weak and powerless... I wonder how much things like social interaction and status, physique, and gender expectations played into my identifying myself as "different". I'm curious which came first; the temperament, or the social experiences. Were my social experiences growing up due to my temperament, or did my temperament come about as a result of social experiences?

Being "me" has always made me feel like I'm less than others, like I don't belong, and whenever I'm in a social situation I feel as though I'm not really supposed to be there. Discovering my MBTI type has helped me to accept myself as I am (at least, more than before, even if that means only some), but I still feel like an alien most of the time.

Having been at a bible college for the last 3 1/2 years has been interesting; aside from being in a bubble of Christian culture, there is an abnormally high population of INFJs here in a wide variety of flavors. It's encouraging to know there are other oddball INFJs out there, but it's also intriguing to see how different one INFJ can be from another INFJ; if anything, it's shown me that temperament has relatively little to do with a person overall.

Discovering that my brother is also an INFJ has only solidified this notion further. We're so similar in how we feel, think, and process, but we're worlds apart in our ideals, morals, and beliefs.

Anyway, I've deviated a fair bit from the topic of gender. Being a male INFJ has not made me feel like less of a man. I've met some male INFJs that are incredible dudes. It's just... everything else... that makes me feel like less of a man. If that makes any sense?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'd probably be more expressive if I was a woman. I think I probably do more Ti sniping/bubble-popping, too, because masculine gender expression often seems to be about one-upmanship, and being aloof while destroying peoples delusions about themselves is kind of a way of fucking with them without really feeling like I'm participating in that game or getting involved with it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
mmmmh. naw.

Reactions: GoodOldDreamer

·
Registered
149 Posts

I, too, can relate to this. I do have a sister but she is quite the opposite, so no influence from her.

I don't know how exactly society sees me other than "unusual" "different". My growing years were hard because I'm from a place where women still have more traditional roles to perform (somewhere from Asia...). I never fit into them. I constantly have to crash with the values of others, trying to decide if I should please them or myself. Sadly always for a long period of my life, others came first. Finally I realized walking the path they select for me, ends up taking me nowhere.

They found me too independent, very decisive (once I make up my mind). Sensitive but not 'girlish'. I am a girl who never share personal issues or cry over trivial things or ask for help. Plus, my best friend was a male (an INTJ, his condition was as hopeless as mine was for different reasons) they found that odd too. It's a cultural issue, I think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think maybe when I was younger it affected me because I was very sensitive and I would cry a lot as a result. This obviously caused others to make fun of me for it and I maybe started concealing my emotions more from that point.

As I've gotten older I have become less sensitive so I don't really often feel things that intensely or at least no visibly so. It's probably more that I don't let other peoples bs affect me like I used to do.

I definitely am not the "alpha male" type but I am very happy not to be so. I find the whole base level need for assertion of dominance stupid. To me its just one step away from beating your chest and throwing poop at someone.

I suppose what I view as being a "man" is about honour and integrity. Having the inner strength to help and support those you love and protect them where necessary. It's about doing the right thing even when it maybe to your own detriment. It's also about taking responsibility.

To me what most of males in society view as being a "man" is much closer to being and animal.

·
Banned
438 Posts
This is interesting. As a teenager, I was convinced I was more masculine than most girls because I didn't like girly things, chick flicks, all of that. Even the way I look and dress(ed) has made me feel not-so-feminine. I feel more feminine now, such as in feeling a maternal instinct (thanks, biology) and some sense of a nurturing nature, which may be like Fe in a way, in receptivity to other people. I think being a Feeler type does allow me to realize feminine traits, in the sense that I'm very sensitive and I'll have emotional responses to movies and books where I'll cry out of sadness or even happiness. However, also concerning feelings, I've never been boy crazy, or the type to flirt and exude my femininity.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think the INFJ male is colored by the feminine from an early age. He lives closer to the unconscious than other males.

He seems to live in a sort of inhibited version of his own masculinity until the process of anima differentiation is more or less complete.

Marie-Luise von Franz's The Problem of the Puer Aeternus contains insights that I suspect would be very valuable to some male INFJs.

Some choice excerpts of the book here:

individunification.com/2.822%20Peur%20Aeternus.html

(sorry, can't post hyperlinks until I've made 15 posts)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts