Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloo! Lately I have been again questioning my identity, (although i thought i was done with questioning myself)
I think I maybe genderfluid! Why? Because earlier in the year, i have had subjects of transgender coming up on social medias, with trump, with transgender acceptance, and noticed i had a lot of friends making their coming out!

I paid attention to those signs, and they seem to pop everywhere i go, and since i am a little spiritual I do believe life's been pointing and directing my attention toward this subject for a reason.

Which is why i mainly write this thread. Because i want to know if there are other genderfluid people here, and how was your experience/journey as genderfluid/non binary person.

I think that'd be nice!

Thanks!

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
This feels too general to make sense. How does one person change from gender to gender? Is it a fashion thing?
I grew up being rather gender non-conforming meaning I didn't enjoy doing what other girls my age were doing, I chose different games etc. But I'm pretty feminine otherwise, I just don't care much for crap like make up and such. Would gender fluid be similar to this but changing from day to day or something?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
gender is a social construct and the most important thing to come out of the transgender movement is toru okada's response to this thread

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,512 Posts
This feels too general to make sense. How does one person change from gender to gender? Is it a fashion thing?
I grew up being rather gender non-conforming meaning I didn't enjoy doing what other girls my age were doing, I chose different games etc. But I'm pretty feminine otherwise, I just don't care much for crap like make up and such. Would gender fluid be similar to this but changing from day to day or something?
like growing up as tom boy and becoming a hollywood princess? ;D stuff like that

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Genders are the gonadal sex. There are only two. One produces small gametes, one produces big gametes. You can be either one OR the other, OR both OR none. There's no in-between.

Genders are a specific class of sexual attributes. Other classes are also there to help procreation. Genetic sex, chromosomal, endocrinologic, hormonal, and a few others I guess. Gender IS binary, sex isn't. So quit repeating scatterbrained buzzwords that make no sense whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Genders are the gonadal sex. There are only two. One produces small gametes, one produces big gametes. You can be either one OR the other, OR both OR none. There's no in-between.

Genders are a specific class of sexual attributes. Other classes are also there to help procreation. Genetic sex, chromosomal, endocrinologic, hormonal, and a few others I guess. Gender IS binary, sex isn't. So quit repeating scatterbrained buzzwords that make no sense whatsoever.
careful now

University Offers 'Non-Binary' Gender Pronouns Writing Guide | Daily Wire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Act_to_amend_the_Canadian_Human_Rights_Act_and_the_Criminal_Code

when you point out stupid shit, they make that stupid shit law

generally i wouldn't give a fuck, but when shit likes this gets into the legal system and people can actually hold me to account for not pretending they are a special snowflake, i hopscotch between seething hatred and laughing my ass off at humanity lol

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've personally never understood this. I understand how people with multiple-personality disorder may be mentally a man one day and a woman the next day, I understand that transgender people have a mind of one gender and a body of the opposite gender (and can feel very uncomfortable in the body they were born with), and I understand that some people have alter-egos (such as drag queens/kings). I just don't understand gender fluidity. Sexual orientation is a spectrum, sure, and there is a Masculinity to Femininity spectrum, but just because you fluctuate a little bit in that from day to day doesn't necessarily mean that your gender is fluctuating. Unless someone is a hermaphrodite, or there is some sort of unnatural chemical/hormonal balance upset, I just can't see gender fluidity actually being a thing. Some days a woman may feel like doing her nails and wearing makeup, and another day she might feel like playing rugby or going hunting. But that doesn't mean she is a different gender each day—it means that she's a normal human being (who is well-rounded/not boring).

I feel like sometimes people get so caught up in the excitement/uniqueness of the LGBTQ community that they want to be a part of it, and start making up stuff to try to have a part of it (surprise: you can be involved and support it and still be a common straight person). A good number of people (though certainly not everyone) try to conjure up an identity for themselves and want to feel like a "special snowflake" about something. I don't know if it's a lack of self-awareness, lack of self-esteem, boredom, desire for attention, or something else, but I get sick of people acting like it's such a big deal. It's like people have sexuality/gender hypochondria, and it's getting ridiculous. I think some people don't like/don't know who they are, so to escape this conundrum, they just become another person to try and erase the problems of their old (and often true) self. So you're a tomboy. Good for you! So you are gay—cool bro. So you're pansexual—okay! I don't care what someone is—people are people and nobody is exactly like someone else. People should be treated equally, not receive special treatment because of some label, whether that's race, gender, sexuality, or political views (there are exceptions, such as those who are physically/mentally handicapped, pregnant, or have health problems, but as a general rule, this still stands).
*One thing I'll note is that I believe that older people and veterans should be treated with a level of respect, though this doesn't mean they are entitled to anything.

Don't let society define you. People need to stop using labels to define themselves. What/who a person likes/dislikes doesn't define who they are, and trying to hide behind a label (whether it's from insecurity, because it's trending, or whatever) only limits people from being who they truly are. It's so limiting and imho, people fall far short of their potential as an individual.

I'm certainly not trying to seem insensitive—I recognize that I don't know or understand everything in this world—but I get sick of watching people I know get caught up in politics/sexual identity/race/whatever and losing their sense of self. It's ridiculous and ultimately, it shouldn't change anything. It's no different than if one person likes spicy food and one person doesn't. They may not understand why the other person is different from them, but it shouldn't matter.

I'm a very spiritual person, but it's important to understand that not everything has spiritual meaning. Some random stuff is just random stuff, with no other significant meaning. Overthinking things will only confuse us and distract us from who we're supposed to be/what we should value most in life. There is a proper balance that has to be maintained (I know this isn't always easy, and I don't have the answer—I just know this to be true).

Just because something keeps popping up in your life or in the news doesn't mean that it has anything to do with you directly. An antisocial person who sees new stories of shootings like what happened in Las Vegas shouldn't interpret that as a sign that they're supposed to be the next mass-shooter/mass murderer.

Just because a bunch of your friends are having kids and you see a bunch of ads for diapers doesn't mean you should have kids.

Just because half the married couples you know got divorced doesn't mean you should get divorced too.

Just because a bunch of people are obsessed with getting ankle tattoos doesn't mean you should get one.

Don't let others define your own path. Don't let your interests define you either. Do what is right for you, and don't worry about other people. People are dumb and say/do all kinds of crap, but if we don't stand strong in who we are and we instead choose to constantly question everything about ourselves, we'll never be happy.

Heck, this is just my opinion—so don't base your actions on this either! I just want people to think for themselves and stopping throwing common sense out the window. It's not every day that I am so bold to share a strong opinion like this—and again, I don't want to offend anyone—but I can only handle so much political correctness before I go crazy. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

@Serane155, I apologize if I've misunderstood what you've said/how you feel, and only you know who you truly are. I just don't want you to misplace your own identity (which is something I've seen so many friends do in a behavioral pattern that is almost cultish). I wish you all the best in your journey through life, wherever that takes you.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
I understand that transgender people have a mind of one gender and a body of the opposite gender (and can feel very uncomfortable in the body they were born with)
The discomfort they feel is non sequitur. They cannot know how better it feels to be born another person. No one is meant to be different than what one is.. unless one means it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Not surprising when the "justice" system of a country asks people to swear on the bible.
i can handle outdated traditions, they take time to fade out, but stuff like this is literally pathological

i understand the need to protect people from hate crime, i understand everyone should be free to express themselves, and yeah, they can tell me the emperor is wearing clothes. and i can tell them to go fuck themselves. and it'll be doubly funny unless it becomes a hate crime to call a guy in a dress a guy and i end up in jail :(.

tbh i have no issue addressing anyone in a way they want to be addressed, unless that person tells me i have to, in which case we're back to them fucking themselves while i make axe wound jokes

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts

I think it's more complex than that. Gender is connected to sex but culturally we attribute things to one gender more than the other arbitrarily or semi-arbitrarily. Femininity and masculinity for example are seen like that so when a man has a more feminine expression he is seen as closer to the female gender than the male.
Or we generalize whole professional fields and discriminate. I was called not a girl because I didn't play with Barbie dolls in school even though I am a girl. So gender and sex are different things in people's minds even if they are tied to biology.

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,512 Posts

Lol what? Did you bother to check before not commenting correctly?

the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
@Red Panda It's only more complex for those who don't understand. What kind of excuse is that, in people's mind it's different, well in people's mind, quantum physics is also different and so what.

Modern languages are a self-referential structure. An interface to understand the world. Any definition is connected to a major part of the whole structure. When it is perfectly consistent, all answers lie in the very content of their questions. If you mess up with ONE definition, all the structure collapses. It's literally a return to prehistory. It's the death of science.

People want to change a word or two without thinking about the consequences, the paradoxes which ensue. It is intolerable. There's no social contract possible without a consistent, self-referential language. Attacking that consistence is a crime.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts