Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realizing this is all speculation, do you think there might possibly be certain personality traits (such as extraversion) that are genetically dominant over others (like introversion)?

Like, it has been scientifically proven that having dark hair is a dominant trait and light (particularly blond and red) hair is recessive. Therefore, two parents with dark hair can produce a light-haired child, but two parents with lgiht hair cannot produce a dark-haired child.

What if personality traits worked the same way? Is it possible that Extraversion is dominant over Introversion, therefore if your parents were both Introverted you couldn't help being an Introvert yourself?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know if there is much any validity to this, but if you think about it, sense sensing and extraversion are more prevalent, you'd think they might be more genetically dominant. But there could be other causes.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Both my parents are introverted, and not only that, but they're both introverted judgers. I'm an extroverted perceiver...

Also, I don't think introversion is as uncommon as people think. That doesn't make sense to me. It's possible sensing isn't either.

Reactions: vocalist

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Rather than genetics, it could be the nature versus nurture question. I'm inclined to believe it may be a combination of both. If an Extravert is born to two Introverted parents, the Extravert would be raised in an Introverted environment and may not be as extremely Extraverted as an Extravert raised by one or more Extraverted parents. In theory...I could be just talking out of my butt. I am an Introvert from a clan of Introverts, so that in itself could disprove my hypothesis.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I've come to think that you can really be more extroverted or introverted...or thinking or feeling than someone else. That's only because I don't like to look at it in terms of..."I'm a certain amount of S and a certain amount of N" and the such...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts