• Sociology
  • History of how I came to be
  • Capitalism
  • Class Status
  • Voting
  • Fashion
  • Feminism
  • 100 Challenge
  • What is the Purpose of our Generation?
  • Are we suppressed?
  • Have we lost our voices?
  • Do you identify with a certain fashion group?
  • What is a Hipster?
  • Are you going to College?
  • What's your job?
  • Is there lack of meaning in your life?
  • Escapism. How are you escaping this life? Do you want to get rid of the escapism and face it head on?
  • Apathetic
  • What gets under your skin but you don't do anything about it?
  • Adbusters

·
Registered
113 Posts
The prevalence of social networking, web communities like this, numerous and varied types of media catering to different demographics, etc., makes it easy for us to find our little niches by choice and not by geographical location. It's convenient, but I think it's stripping the West of its collective cultural identity. Not that I care too terribly.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Your video reminds me of myself a little bit, when I was 20-25. I was so driven and wanted everyone else to be as well... I researched politics, religion, conspiracies, culture, enviromental issues and I wanted to get out there and fix everything I could and let everyone know etc... the world is falling apart lets go!!! kinda thing. But then it got boring, I realised I myself were not cut out for any of that superhero stuff.. I instead starting working on myself getting my own life in check, finding and developing myself.. learning about the human body, spirituality all while studying horticulture (but spending more time in the library reading David Suzuki books). I learnt about the digestive system and nutrition and started growing my own weed. I stopped watching TV and I spent a great deal of time without the internet. It made me happier than I'd been before... the world was depressing so I stopped paying attention to it.

Is there lack of meaning in your life?
People tell me that I should follow my heart and do what I am passionate about ...do what will make me the most happy.
Well I thought about it and I've decided.
I wanna do nothing... nothing but sit at home.. listen to music, piss about on the computer, nap, fap, cook and eat awesome yummy foods, check the letter box and get high.
But......
Apparently I'm expected to do something ANYTHING other than that. :(
but..... then I would be unhappy? I..... ...oohhhh...... hhmmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think you're hot, so of course you're an INFJ (I just have a thing for INFJs, siiiiigh)... And Scorpio, too. Double "of course."

Sociology is to INFJ as Anthropology is to INFP. That is, Sociology is a more focused, penetrating sort of gaze at human behavior and Anthropology is a broad, expansive one. That's my interpretation, at least. I can totally understand why Ni+Fe would be attracted more to Sociology and Fi+Ne would gravitate toward Anthropology. I'm totally MBTI / social science geeking out, so I'll stop now.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I chose the topic of 'apathy,' because to me, it seems to be a very prevalent issue, where there's a tendency for people to get 'desensitized,' due to what's seen in mass media/publications.

It seems like people don't take a stance on things anymore, and really stand by their convictions.. Or perhaps, it's always usually been like this for decades, minus the past century when people rose up and actually fought for their own 'rights.'

Now, it seems as though people passively roll over to authoritarian types of mentalities (least where I live), and the more important topic in conversations are, "Did you see what happened in Dancing With the Stars??" There's so much more emphasis on the superficial types conversations evolving over 'reality TV shows' that the important issues get dusted underneath the carpet, because "It doesn't matter." It's like this socialization process that's becoming the 'norm.'

I see it as we're giving our power away without really caring.. But, I live in an area where if you start to question authority, if you start to think differently, then you're automatically a 'weirdo' to be taunted/laughed at.. It's a very conformist, apathetic type of mentality that I'm starting to wonder if it promotes individual thinking/determination, rather than being spoon fed garbage/caving into it.. sorry, this is my vent post- but I truly think that it's important to define who we are, and stand up for what we believe in even though we may feel 'singled' out.

P.S.-Edit: I think that apathy places us in a vulnerable position, where we are easily controlled, which is a detriment.. Reminds me of Nazi Germany, where (from my impressions) people were in a state of hunger (poor economic conditions) that they could care less, and passively allowed for the death of millions of people, because they just learned to 'accept' what was going on. Of course, not everyone was like that, but the general atmosphere was pretty apathetic/desensitized.. when people start to think like this, authorities get away with heinous acts, because no one really 'cares.'

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I think you're hot, so of course you're an INFJ (I just have a thing for INFJs, siiiiigh)... And Scorpio, too. Double "of course."

Sociology is to INFJ as Anthropology is to INFP. That is, Sociology is a more focused, penetrating sort of gaze at human behavior and Anthropology is a broad, expansive one. That's my interpretation, at least. I can totally understand why Ni+Fe would be attracted more to Sociology and Fi+Ne would gravitate toward Anthropology. I'm totally MBTI / social science geeking out, so I'll stop now.
Sociology would appeal to the structured and futurist bent of Ni-Fe. The timeless, freeform nature of Antrhropology plus its ultimate reliance on concrete facts would appeal to an Ne-Si user.

But it is actually the INFP who is deep and penetrating and the INFJ who is broad and expansive. INFP's are judgers first and foremost. INFJ's are percievers and, since that percieving function is iNtuitive, they are potential visionaries (not that a person can't be both, well-developed people usually are, but one always serves the other on an unconscious level).

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sociology would appeal to the structured and futurist bent of Ni-Fe. The timeless, freeform nature of Antrhropology plus its ultimate reliance on concrete facts would appeal to an Ne-Si user.

But it is actually the INFP who is deep and penetrating and the INFJ who is broad and expansive. INFP's are judgers first and foremost. INFJ's are percievers and, since that percieving function is iNtuitive, they are potential visionaries (not that a person can't be both, well-developed people usually are, but one always serves the other on an unconscious level).
I don't really use Si at all, it's my Fi and the nature of anthropology in the way that it is all about trying to understand an "other" and help people understand that "other" that appeals to me. (Fi).

Furthermore, what? The way I see an INFJ, their thoughts are more focused on processing one subject at a time and very intensely/deeply (Ni), and the way I see an INFP, their thoughts tend to scatter out in many directions (Ne), focus tends to get misdirected, etc., and thus intensive study on a single subject is difficult. I suppose a strong Si could help with that, but being the tertiary function for an INFP, that's not likely to be developed until mid-adulthood or so, isn't that right?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
The INFJ would focus on processing one thought at a time but they spend most of their time using intuition. It's true that the intuition of an NJ is more focused than that of an NP, but because it gains priority in the INFJ there is going to be more of it.

A proptotypical INFP spends more time making judgments, and a prototypical INFJ spends more time speculating. The INFP would come up with richer, more profound insights, and the INFJ would come up with more insights, although they may seem more profound because they tend to be better at predicting the future. Generalizing of course; luck and circumstance have a lot to do with what thoughts swirl through your head.

More to do with preferring iNtuition to feeling than anything else. I do see your point, Ni mimics a judging function in a lot of ways because it is trying to come up with a whole worldview. And the INFJ style of thought is linear, structured, and sequential as a left brained type, which could be considered a form of intensity. Of course a well developed INP could have a killer intuition and be extremely creative. But they are still T/F before N, and as such will specialize on the meaning of the intuitions as opposed to coming up with intuitions for the sake of manifesting a vision. Being a visionary requires broad mindedness.

Still, all I's are going to be somewhat narrow and intense in their study, and all E's "shallower" but more expansive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts