Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 out of 6 people in my immediate family are ENFPs.
My best friend (also ENFP) is married to another ENFP, and so far, their two oldest kids (who are able to take the MBTI test) are also ENFPs.
My INFJ friend's mom is also INFJ.

Has anyone else noticed patterns like these in their families? Is there any research on personality types being inherited genetically, or do they develop as a response to their environments?

·
Banned
84 Posts
All the men in my family that I've had enough dialogue with to determine their type are NTs. Even our career paths are similar, and then you notice that they all seem to be pretty intelligent. I view intelligence as a prerequisite to be an NT, honestly. I can ballpark their IQs, you will see that they are similar.

Myself: INTJ - Cosmetic and Orthopedic Spinal Surgeon
Fraternal Twin Brother: INTP - Cardiothoracic Surgeon [140IQ]
Eldest brother: ENTJ - Mechanical Engineer [130IQ]
Elder brother: ENTP - Chemical Engineer [120IQ]
Father: ENTP - Software Engineer [130IQ]
Paternal Grandfather: INTP - University Professor [140IQ]
Maternal Grandfather: INTJ - Psychiatrist [140IQ]

As you can see, this does not seem as if purely by chance. But with NTs, it's different. I listed IQ approximations for a reason. The children of two intelligent people are more likely to be as intelligent as their parents. I'd like to go in-depth here but I'm not entirely sure if regression artifacts can be applied to genetics. But let's assume that they do and that, like most studies say, genetics accounts for 40% of intelligence.

This means that attentive, intelligent parents are more likely to raise children that are more intelligent than themselves. Based on the conjecture that intelligence is required for someone to develop an NT personality, you could say that NT parents have a significantly higher chance of raising NT children due to intelligent people seemingly having a predisposition towards being an NT.

I know NTs outside of my family and this same trend seems to occur. However, with parents of other personality types it seems like genetics rolls a dice. Like... there's no pattern at all. You could have extroverted parents in the Guardian temperament and the mother could spit out an introverted baby in the Rational temperament.

This is mostly anecdotal though, my post could mean absolutely nothing for all I know. I'm not a geneticist.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
There's a lot of variety in my family. Basically we have:

Dad: ISFP
Mom: INFJ
Me: ISTJ
Sister: INTJ
Brother: ENTP
Grandmother: ISFJ
Aunt: INFP
Uncle: ENFJ

Nobody shares the same type, and I know all of these are accurate as I've studied the functions. So I guess it depends on the family, although even families with large type difference do pick up traits from each other.

·
Registered
987 Posts
We have more Ts than expected, and more Ns than expected if you compare to the 70ish/30ish S/N split I've heard that the general population shows, but we have a pretty decent variety:

Me: INTP
Sister: ESTP
Mother: ENFP
Father: ENTJ

Mother's parents: both ISTJ
-mother's sister: ISFJ
Father's parents: ESTJ, ENTP
-father's brothers: ENFJ, IxTx

·
Registered
852 Posts
Myself: INTJ - Cosmetic and Orthopedic Spinal Surgeon