Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether you think he is a bastard for making Greedo shoot first, or whether you revere him as the great Creator, let's type the father of Star Wars!

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
He's definitely an NT. I'd say that he's an INTP or maybe an INTJ.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you think the biggest difference between an INTP and an INTJ director would be?
Maybe that'll help us to pinpoint him.

·
Registered
826 Posts
infj is much more likely. but maybe infp. he is certainly nf. star wars is adventure and fantasy, not science fiction(nt), it's about characters and adventure, not technology. i mean, light sabers and tie fighters are technology of sorts, but not in any functional and in-depth way like star trek.
in all the interviews i've seen of him, he seems totally ignorant of critique against him, he seems pretty irrational in dealing with it. nt's usual respond to critizism in a more constructive manner and is actually able to reason. he has this ego-fantasy loop going on, which is more nf.
secondly, he's kind of a pussy. nt's are more cynical. the producer who worked with him on a new hope and empire also described him as passive and shy. more likely infp to me. i don't see any Fe in his behavior, allthough he does seem a bit collected and calm for an infp(who, with Ne usually are quite quirky).

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
infj is much more likely. but maybe infp. he is certainly nf. star wars is adventure and fantasy, not science fiction(nt), it's about characters and adventure, not technology. i mean, light sabers and tie fighters are technology of sorts, but not in any functional and in-depth way like star trek.
in all the interviews i've seen of him, he seems totally ignorant of critique against him, he seems pretty irrational in dealing with it. nt's usual respond to critizism in a more constructive manner and is actually able to reason. he has this ego-fantasy loop going on, which is more nf.
secondly, he's kind of a pussy. nt's are more cynical. the producer who worked with him on a new hope and empire also described him as passive and shy. more likely infp to me. i don't see any Fe in his behavior, allthough he does seem a bit collected and calm for an infp(who, with Ne usually are quite quirky).
I really, really don't think he is an INFP. His movies have no grey area whatsoever, and INFPs thrive in the grey. Plus....he has publicly stated several times that he hates writing. My guess is with INFJ. Although at first I thought perhaps INTJ, maybe he isn't too analytical after all? (who knows, he is a huge perfectionist, as we all know)

He could still be an NT though, his first movie THX-1138 was as hard as science fiction gets. It was almost borderline boring/uninteresting because it was all about concepts and ideas, but not about people.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
He is no NT or N anything. He is an ISXP, and judging by how closely he personally relates to his world that he created, and wishes he could live there, and how close he is to his children, and how important his family life is (Fi), and also, judging by his iterative process for directing and especially editing films, He is so Se, with slightly weaker Ni. Work that out, and you have an ISFP.

My 10 yr old daughter got into a Star Wars kick this past winter, and we watched hours of Star Wars "Making of" videos on YouTube, which starte intriguing me, because Lucas in all his interviews sounded so much like me, and my way of thinking... but I couldn't just accept that he could be an ISFP, so I looked up every interview I could find, but I could never escape ISP. I kept bouncing back and forth between ISFP and ISTP (he loved cars and mechanics when in high school, and was very much a speed junkie). But how he is in private with his kids, and how he parents is much more ISFP than ISTP.

I know it's hard for all you other types to accept that Lucas, the king of sci fi could be a feeler, and ISFP, but yes, I believe it is...

And it's worth keeping in mind that the shadow of ISFP is ENTJ... He exhibits this when he's stressed out, especially when on the set, and, IMO, this is one of the reasons he didn't direct eps 5 and 6. In fact, I believe he said something about that at one point. But look up his editing style. It is absolutely Se in nature, and nothing to do with primary or secondary N of either the extroverted or introverted sorts.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
18,320 Posts
What makes you so certain? I've seen him listed as either INTJ or ENFP. A good storyteller appeals to us on many levels.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
What makes you so certain? I've seen him listed as either INTJ or ENFP. A good storyteller appeals to us on many levels.
Well, first of all, how many INTJs adopt two children as a single parent? How many spend more time with their kids than at work, and get their kids involved in their projects? :)

I already mentioned that his modus operandi for editing is not Ni or Ne, but iterative, and very trial-by-error, and, I should add, tactile in a sense--very much Se-Ni, not the other way around. He is also very attuned to the role that all the elements, in particular sound and music play in the movies. He is very visual, also. He hates writing the screen plays, and doesn't feel comfortable with words. None of this says either INTJ nor ENFP. I've also seen him pegged as an INTP, and I can tell you, having lived with an INTP for years, he does not exhibit any characteristics of an INTP. He is very much an ISP, just basing on most of the factors I listed above...

And then, there are his battles with the film industry. He never, ever wanted to be a part of the Hollywood scene, and worked hard to be free of "the man." He even left the various guilds in order to maintain his creative freedom, as well as to protest. All of these are very much Fi-type values, and deeply held ones. On the other hand, he feels almost guilty for creating this huge empire and becoming "the man"... So he tries hard to not be "the man". These are the sorts of things that have defined him. Also, in his films, he has clearly defined concepts of good and evil, and they don't really cross. The sole exception is Anakin/Darth Vader. But even there, from the start, in his mind, he had the goal of redeeming Vader, and when the third film was being made, he actually debated whether or not to unmask Vader, and show his human side, but he decided that he didn't care what the fans thought, this was the right thing to do, it was his plan from the start, and he did it. He felt it was right. Almost all his decisions are based, not on rationality--in particular, the kind of thinking that a Te-type thinker would make, but on subjective, and personal feelings and values. One might try to argue XNFP, but again, we have, not Ne, but Ni--but not the kind of Ni that guides, directs or leads, but the kind like you would find in an ISP--working behind the scenes, helping to shape conclusions at a lower, less conscious level.

Honestly, to show you what I mean, I'd have to sit with you through hours of videos, and point out the elements in what he says, how he behaves, etc. I'm really surprised that people don't see him as a dom. Fi type. He just oozes that. And he is a Se over Ni as well... I fear that what we see when people type him otherwise, is that they can't accept that somebody who has created a world like the Star Wars universe could be Se, and Fi... But from my perspective, I don't see how it could be otherwise. ;-) BTW, Steven Spielberg is widely regarded as an ISFP, and guess who one of his best friends is. ;-) Those two guys, watching them, are birds of a feather... ;-)

I'm not really going to try to convince people. I'm just stating my reasons for why I am quite sure he's ISFP... I'll be honest, I didn't want to come to that conclusion for what I hope are obvious reasons... but in the end, I cannot escape his strong Fi tendencies and Strong Se, as well as his strong introversion... Oh, and his Te grip experiences... Only an INFP could have the same--and as I said, I just don't see Ne in him...

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
...his first movie, THX-1138, was as hard as science fiction gets. It was almost borderline boring/uninteresting because it was all about concepts and ideas, but not about people.
I found it fascinating all the way through. And it's totally about the idea of people. The concept of identity. What does it mean to be a person? Are we really nothing more than cogs of society? It's an anti-collectivist masterpiece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts