Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
What great tv is on in the middle of the night?

How are you planning to use all your free time?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What great tv is on in the middle of the night?

How are you planning to use all your free time?
1. Re-runs of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives and The Big Bang Theory.

Most networks start playing those annoying infomercials and theoretical exercise programs at around 4:00/5:00 AM.

2. Sleep until 7:00 AM. Fondle myself. Make breakfast. Watch TV. Fondle myself. Take a shower. Make my bed. Look for a job. Go to the gym. Make dinner. Watch TV. Take shower. Fondle myself. Go to bed. Repeat ad nauseum.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long have you been unemployed for and what type of jobs are you looking for?
4-5 months. I was employed at a ball park during Spring Training from Feb - March. Before that, I was employed by the Transportation Security Administration from Jan. 2012 - Sept. 2012.

I am looking for jobs in city, state, federal government, political jobs, game industry (software testing) jobs, restaurant (food) industry jobs, writing/editing/technical jobs....

I want to open up a food truck business, but I don't have any funding.

I wanted to purchase a Menchie's franchise, but I don't have any money.

I want to be a politician and run for office, but I don't have any funding or support.

...but I digress.

I'm the one giving advice here.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
4-5 months. I was employed at a ball park during Spring Training from Feb - March. Before that, I was employed by the Transportation Security Administration from Jan. 2012 - Sept. 2012.

I am looking for jobs in city, state, federal government, political jobs, game industry (software testing) jobs, restaurant (food) industry jobs, writing/editing/technical jobs....

I want to open up a food truck business, but I don't have any funding.

I wanted to purchase a Menchie's franchise, but I don't have any money.

I want to be a politician and run for office, but I don't have any funding or support.

...but I digress.

I'm the one giving advice here.
What was it like working for the TSA?

And as a more "advice"-type question: If you could give one piece of advice to unemployed people that you've learned during your job search, what would it be?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

And as a more "advice"-type question: If you could give one piece of advice to unemployed people that you've learned during your job search, what would it be?
It was horrible.

To give you an example: one time I had to pat down a small, handicapped child in a wheelchair.

Ugh. It made me feel like a terrible human being. In order to do that job, you had to ignore your humanity, ignore common sense, and blindly follow their policies like a dog.

I point the finger at the upper management and administration. We were actually told that they didn't really care about guns or knives or anything like that. They only care about the destruction of aircraft by explosives.

Knowing that and knowing how much intelligence they have on dangerous people and terrorists, really makes it difficult to understand some of their asinine policies that affect normal, everyday travelers.

I also blame their hiring practices. Many of my co-workers were people who would interact with travelers in a negative manner and instigate heated confrontations that often resulted in unnecessary searches, seizures, and harassment.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gee, that's reassuring. That happens to be the very same degree I'm currently pursuing.
My cousin also has an English degree.

I am told that she is unemployed and hides in her room like a hermit.

Get the degree, but stay in school and get a Master's and/or a certification in something: preferably "Administration."

A simple BA in English won't get you anywhere. I'm living proof of that. You also need to obtain a teaching certification or get a Master's degree.

...or change your major.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
My cousin also has an English degree.

I am told that she is unemployed and hides in her room like a hermit.

Get the degree, but stay in school and get a Master's and/or a certification in something: preferably "Administration."

A simple BA in English won't get you anywhere. I'm living proof of that. You also need to obtain a teaching certification or get a Master's degree.

...or change your major.
I'm planning to follow it up with an education degree thereafter in order to teach high school.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
I'm assuming you mean a "Master's in Education w/ a teaching certification."

That's fine.
Actually, it's a Bachelor of Education degree I do believe. Students here commonly complement it with a BA or BS degree in a teachable subject area (such as English, math, science, what-have-you) plus a secondary teachable area (usually can be achieved through your minor). That's how it works here.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I have learned that there are hundreds, if not thousands of people applying to the same jobs. I often interview for positions that I have 25-50 other applicants.

A lot of positions in government require you to take tests and examinations. Hundreds of people attend these examinations.

A few months ago, I applied to a position working on the next Forza game for Microsoft. If I had been offered the position, my life would be vastly different than it is today. For instance, I wouldn't need to debate about how $5.00 should be spent: on gas or on food.

I was the runner-up, the second choice. I believe that the only reason I was their second choice, was because I knew someone who worked for them and he referred me.

This is what I have learned: people you know (your connections) are your greatest resource. They know you, can vouch for you, and help you get back to work.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, it's a Bachelor of Education degree I do believe. Students here commonly complement it with a BA or BS degree in a teachable subject area (such as English, math, science, what-have-you) plus a secondary teachable area (usually can be achieved through your minor). That's how it works here.
Yuck.

Stay in school. Get a Master's. The goal is to make as much money as possible; even if you don't think it is.

Go for a degree or certification in "Administration."

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Yuck.

Stay in school. Get a Master's. The goal is to make as much money as possible; even if you don't think it is.

Go for a degree or certification in "Administration."
We'll see what happens. I do like to keep my options open-ended, hence my P'ness.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts