Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a part-time job. Mainly because I want to save up some money so than when I turn 18, I can get out.

I'm wondering what job I should get. Being a retail assistant is always an alternative, but they pay minimum wage and working conditions may turn out to be really horrible. A bus driver is what I want to be, only 6-8 hours a day, 16.33 an hour, and relatively stress-free (besides waking up in the morning). However, I'm not 18 yet, so that's not an option either.

I don't care what kind of pay I get though if it's a job whereby I am allowed to entertain myself (eg. accountant at a desk with not many phone calls is ideal because I can bring books there, my laptop, etc.) or be allowed to get things done.

I'm also considering getting a job online at ChaCha whereby I can work as a question answerer and earn a few bucks a question.

The biggest issue however, is how hard is it to get a job now. And also, the best way to land a job. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Food service is good because there are always jobs, they're hire you no matter your age, and they usually have the most part-time positions. Make sure it's a job where you get tipped, though, otherwise it's not worth the crap wage, rude customers, ect. The job market might suck right now for professionals, but for part-time high schoolers there are always places hiring.

Right now a lot of retail places are hiring for the holiday season, but I've never worked retail so I don't know what those kind of jobs are like.

How old are you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just turned 15. I'm going to get a worker's permit, and I want to be independent, free.

And you're right. That's why I'm hesitating to work in a restaurant.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I started working when I was 15, too, and I remember having trouble getting a job simply because of my age. Many retail places won't hire you, and most finer dining places won't either. Try to find an independently owned shop, they're more likely to hire you and more likely to be a fun place to work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Having someone who could personally refer you definitely increases your chance of landing an interview. As Kallisti said, many retail stores are hiring now for seasonal work... you might not like it, as an INTP, but a good experience to have. For those kinds of positions, companies seem to highly consider your availability... so try being as open about scheduling as possible, to at least get your foot in. Your age will make it a little harder depending on where you're applying. Confidence is key! Strong handshakes! Don't give up. :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just turned 15. I'm going to get a worker's permit, and I want to be independent, free.

And you're right. That's why I'm hesitating to work in a restaurant.
How independent are we talkin' here? Remember, until 18 there will be some asshole truancy officer coming after you.. Don't work away the years you should be spending getting in trouble. When you graduate college no one is gonna give a fuck what you did when 15. I'm not saying a job would be bad for you. Just remember where your priorities should lie: being young, stupid, and making mistakes while it's still okay. In a decade you'll fee morel better having egged a teacher's house than you will have about kissing ass to some jerk who wants you to ring up a pack of smokes for him. Again, I'm not saying a job is bad, but just don't get too serious about life too fast. You'll wind up working the majority of your life away no matter what, and you only get so much time. Nothingnew's suggestion is perfect IMHO.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Getting a PT job is the easiest thing in the world right now because that's all there seems to be out there! No one wants to hire FT anymore it seems. Please don't bother getting involved with Cha Cha. You make about $3/hour there. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Getting a PT job is the easiest thing in the world right now because that's all there seems to be out there! No one wants to hire FT anymore it seems. Please don't bother getting involved with Cha Cha. You make about $3/hour there. Been there, done that.
What's funny is that there are so many PT openings because FT workers who were laid off during the recent economic down turn make more on unemployment, and they get it for 2 years now as well. In the absence of unemployment or significantly curtailed unemployment (anything less than two effing years) and all the FTs would take multiple PT jobs. It's actually gotten to the point that a lot of employers complain about people interviewing and turning down offers just to stay on unemployment.

2 of my friends are on unemployment getting 2,500/month (half what they got at their jobs) and they're just happily smoking dope playing video games. I can't say I blame them. Sometimes I wish I was collecting unemployment :sad:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How independent are we talkin' here? Remember, until 18 there will be some asshole truancy officer coming after you.. Don't work away the years you should be spending getting in trouble. When you graduate college no one is gonna give a fuck what you did when 15. I'm not saying a job would be bad for you. Just remember where your priorities should lie: being young, stupid, and making mistakes while it's still okay. In a decade you'll fee morel better having egged a teacher's house than you will have about kissing ass to some jerk who wants you to ring up a pack of smokes for him. Again, I'm not saying a job is bad, but just don't get too serious about life too fast. You'll wind up working the majority of your life away no matter what, and you only get so much time. Nothingnew's suggestion is perfect IMHO.
That is rather hard to do, considering the situation that I have now. I am under constant threat of being disowned and sent to the army because I am not quite the son my parents want me to be. In other words, they want me to follow the ideal path that they have laid out for me since birth and because I have stated that this is my own life and not theirs, they no longer have any interest in bringing me up.

Also, I am taking AP classes which I have no idea why I'm taking. Maybe it was because I was under the influence of them wanting me to go to college, so I took it. But my priority as of now is to plan for my own independence and survival.

I am undecided whether to go to college or not. But as of now, survival is something that I'm worrying about. In case I go homeless, I have a car to live in as an option. Hopefully, it will never come to that.

And another thing, the need to save is further emphasized by my desire to full-time vandwell. I won't go into details here, but you can search the Internet for that term. If I can survive

·
Registered
749 Posts
That is rather hard to do, considering the situation that I have now. I am under constant threat of being disowned and sent to the army because I am not quite the son my parents want me to be. In other words, they want me to follow the ideal path that they have laid out for me since birth and because I have stated that this is my own life and not theirs, they no longer have any interest in bringing me up.

Also, I am taking AP classes which I have no idea why I'm taking. Maybe it was because I was under the influence of them wanting me to go to college, so I took it. But my priority as of now is to plan for my own independence and survival.

I am undecided whether to go to college or not. But as of now, survival is something that I'm worrying about. In case I go homeless, I have a car to live in as an option. Hopefully, it will never come to that.

And another thing, the need to save is further emphasized by my desire to full-time vandwell. I won't go into details here, but you can search the Internet for that term. If I can survive
Legally they have to put a roof over your head until your 18. I think the best move would be to tell your parents to fly the fuck off and do your thing while living there because they can't throw you out, and they certainly can't sign you up for the military. Unless it was one of those stupid talk show military academies, and you could get thrown out of there easy enough. The worst thing they could do is put you in a foster home. If you start working and stay fed off their buck you'll save more. Plus, would you stay in school while living in a van?

As far as college goes having your parents disown you could potentially be a good thing. If you get financial aide, which would be easy for a disowned van dweller, and keep your grades up. By the time your 22 you can rub it in your parents' faces what you achieved without them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Legally they have to put a roof over your head until your 18. I think the best move would be to tell your parents to fly the fuck off and do your thing while living there because they can't throw you out, and they certainly can't sign you up for the military. Unless it was one of those stupid talk show military academies, and you could get thrown out of there easy enough. The worst thing they could do is put you in a foster home. If you start working and stay fed off their buck you'll save more. Plus, would you stay in school while living in a van?

As far as college goes having your parents disown you could potentially be a good thing. If you get financial aide, which would be easy for a disowned van dweller, and keep your grades up. By the time your 22 you can rub it in your parents' faces what you achieved without them.

Unfortunately, I'm simply a PR in the United States. I don't know whether these rules apply to PRs or non-citizens, but as of now a chance is what I'm not willing to take. Also, if they were to kick me out by force- that is, threaten physical violence if I stayed in their house- where do I go? The police isn't something I want to call on, and even if they are horrible parents, they are my parents nonetheless.

Also, they don't have to send me to the military here. They can send me to the military in a foreign country. There, the same rules do not apply, and from what I've seen, parents have the legal right to bring the children wherever they go whether the child likes it or not.

Also, financial aide. Any suggestions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts