Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok-- so I'm not all that emotional. I'm pretty emotionally buoyant in that I rarely swing from one mood to another at all or let my emotions get the better of me. I'm pretty warm even if I do maintain a psychological distance. BUT sometimes I get this emotional pang that I can't rationalize myself out of, and I get anxious. It's not a depression thing, but when I'm feeling something in the moment I feel like I'll gag if I talk about the thing directly. I become very sentimental too. And then sure enough, the next day I will be fine again. It's like... emotional constipation.

So if we're going to go with the metaphor here... what's the fiber in this situation? How do I stop it? Are there any other ENTPs that go through this? And how does this work with us, cognitively?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
i'm not sure I relate or rather not sure I know what you're talking about, but it sounds just like stress to me...and you got to let some of that out once in a while

a sad or corny sentimental movie might be good to help you to shed a tear and let some emotion out, then again a comedy and laughing might help as well, or punching a pillow...or someone, doing something physical to let off some steam....sex is usually good for relieving stress ....tho not having someone you have or can see having an intimate relationship w/ that is needed to find sex satisfying is often part of the reason for such stress in the first place

...or I don't know baby sloths might help

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think I know what you mean - I get an emotion (usually takes me by surprise) that I can't immediately talk myself out of. And I hate it when it happens.

Honestly? I tend to just have a few drinks at home or arrange to meet a friend and by not focusing on it and forgetting about it - seems to make it disappear. I'm good at compartmentalising, so as long as I don't think about something too much it just gets boxed away somewhere.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
wtf.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Well, I think the best thing to do would be to feel the emotion for as long as it would like to last but tell yourself rational things about it.

It is your subconscious mind (an irrational and emotional place for everyone) just bubbling up to the surface once and awhile. You also have a small, repressed ISFJ inside of you that's probably weeping lots.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So, I have been on hiatus from PersCafe for more than a year, but a fit of insomnia resulted in me meandering back tonight ... only to discover that my old haunt (the ENTP forum) is filled with convos about feelings! At first I thought: what next, the ENTP poetry thread?! But on mature reflection, I thought: maybe this is supposed to be what happens. All the NTs get together and strategize about how to deal with emotions, and all the F-doms get together and work through a Sudoku or something.

Aaaaanysqueeze, here's my two cents: Sentimentality and nostalgia are very common ENTP emotional manifestations due to that pesky Fe-Si albatross we have around our necks. You will probably spend a lot of time drinking whisky and/or wine and thinking about the halcyon days of your youth. It's just one of our special little ticks. There's no real cure. What you have to learn is not to let those feelings grab hold of you and either lead you to make impulsive life choices or constantly feel discontentment with your life as it is now. Just get your buzz on, quietly mist up remembering that-magical-weekend-when, and allow it to pass. In my experience, it always does.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ok-- so I'm not all that emotional. I'm pretty emotionally buoyant in that I rarely swing from one mood to another at all or let my emotions get the better of me. I'm pretty warm even if I do maintain a psychological distance. BUT sometimes I get this emotional pang that I can't rationalize myself out of, and I get anxious. It's not a depression thing, but when I'm feeling something in the moment I feel like I'll gag if I talk about the thing directly. I become very sentimental too. And then sure enough, the next day I will be fine again. It's like... emotional constipation.

So if we're going to go with the metaphor here... what's the fiber in this situation? How do I stop it? Are there any other ENTPs that go through this? And how does this work with us, cognitively?
Sounds like you're more emotional than you perceive yourself. It's not good to be repressed. Let them feels flow.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I keep an online diary.
I feel like diaries can be sort of stigmatized to emotional ramblings or catalogs of the day, but really they're just a place to put your thoughts.
I've kept one for a few years now, I totally recommend it. I have always felt better after writing in my diary.
The key is to just write in it when you want to, or feel like you should. Don't try and force it or make it a regular thing. Just write some of your thoughts out. They don't have to be profound or even on topic. They could simply be "I'm feeling really emotional right now and I don't know why. Everything in my life seems alright. Today I..." you get the point. You can just sort through your thoughts that way. Again, don't force it. Don't go in expecting an epiphany, just get some thoughts out of your head.
It's a way to vent without having to actually talk to anyone about it.
It's also kind of cool to look back and see what kind of person you used to be. I've been surprised by some of the things I wrote in the past, and I've been reminded of good ideas.
Honestly I can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I am not sold you are ENTP but I do understand how an ENTP can have the emotions you have described. However, IMO, they really aren't "your" emotions/feelings. ENTPs seem to have such a high empathy understanding that we start replacing empathy as if they are our true emotions. Meaning, we can see the pain in someone else so much that we feel it ourselves. Then it compounds to the point that I know how I am suppose to feel when this happens to me because I can see how other people feel when it happens to them. It is the crux of E + NT thinking.

·
Registered
15 Posts

YES! Thank you for putting it in words too. And it's like quicksand. The more i struggle and try to understand it, the more i sink.
Meditation works for me sometimes, but in this mood it's hard to get myself to even begin meditate. Achieving something often helps too, preferably with someone else.

·
Registered
798 Posts

I'd say the best thing is to find an outlet (or several). Redirect your emotional (and anxious) energy into something else. It can be artistic, mechanical, intellectual, social (though it seems like you'd rather avoid that); you could play a game or watch TV/movies. Or you could try to sleep. (I don't know about you, but sleeping tends to reset my emotional state.)

Find some way to occupy yourself if dealing directly with your emotions isn't something you think you can do at the time. Be careful about making it a habit, though. It'll only get much harder to deal with if you start regularly avoiding dealing with your emotions. I would suggest pushing yourself to work through your emotions as much as you think you can handle (without being, y'know, too easy on yourself) if you aren't already doing so. Let your emotions get the better of you every once in a while. You might learn something about yourself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest I'm not entirely sure I'm an ENTP either, but I don't really identify with objective thinking. I wasn't present on the forums for a while because analyzing my own type became boring and unproductive.

Anyway, emotions happen. It passed. Thanks all for your help!

·
Registered
384 Posts

It is emotional blockage....it's almost as if you (or I am on a swing that goes back and forth between
the PANG and the cleansing....just gross...)

I'm not sure ....are you tending toward the Enfp side of Entp?? Would you like to ponder this further? I'm happy to...well I'm confused by the whole dynamic, myself...

·
Registered
384 Posts
To be honest I'm not entirely sure I'm an ENTP either, but I don't really identify with objective thinking. I wasn't present on the forums for a while because analyzing my own type became boring and unproductive.

Anyway, emotions happen. It passed. Thanks all for your help!
It will return..It seems to, in a cyclical fashion, every so often.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts