Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ITs been a while since i've been on this site and commented or anything. Life has been kind of weird in the past year. But anyway I want some insight on what people think about me getting back into programming/computer science. But let me put some backstory before getting down to business.

I transfered to my 3rd university and majored in graphic design. And in order to get into the program you have to submit a portfolio at the end of the semester to be looked at. If not you have to try again the second semester or switch majors. I failed both times and am stuck in this sort of limbo of what i should do.

I've always loved art and felt graphic design allowed for some creative outlet, but apparently my work isnt what the program is looking for. So i have to switch out, i also took watercolor for the first time this semester and loved it. Staying in the program would've only allowed me to courses of watercolor.

I also chose a minor in writing considering that i will be stuck in uni for an extra year and needed something to do. I enjoy writing and again it allows for more of my artistic juices to flow.

Now I need to choose a major since I cant do graphic design and I dont want to change universities for a fourth time just to pursue that degree. To work through this i started looking into other majors and ran into the General Studies major.

My sister did it for a while and i know how it works. You choose 3 minors that make up one major as well as finishing the core curriculum the university has. I figured i have a lot fo english and art credits and should at least do an art and design minor as well as a writing minor. But I need a third one. And thats where computer science comes in.

My first year of college i wanted to major in programming but I wasnt good at it. I barely passed the first semester and dropped out the second. But Ive always had a vague interest in it. And looking into ive read online that alot of people struggle the first year or two of programming, it comes with the territory. So im thinking of making this my third minor, to help my odds of graduating and being able to get a decent job upon graduation.

TLDR: Should I pursue a minor in computer science along with my art & design and writing minor for a General Studies Degree?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
It depends. That General Studies major sounds like it is a fairly unconventional major, which may or may not work in your favour.
I'd say Computer Science is always a safe bet, as companies know what to expect from something like that.

It does sound like it has a lot of variation, which is always nice when you are studying. Something to note, however: Computer Science contains a lot more than programming. It also has a lot of boring stuff like databases, system analysis, etc. (atleast, when I was studying it)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends. That General Studies major sounds like it is a fairly unconventional major, which may or may not work in your favour.
I'd say Computer Science is always a safe bet, as companies know what to expect from something like that.

It does sound like it has a lot of variation, which is always nice when you are studying. Something to note, however: Computer Science contains a lot more than programming. It also has a lot of boring stuff like databases, system analysis, etc. (atleast, when I was studying it)
It is uncoventional for sure, but I feel like it might be worth the risk. And im doing it precisely for the variation as i felt like i would feel unfulfilled sticking with just one major and a minor. Plus i know having some skills in programming helps alot, and they offer internships for computer science minors at my university. And what exactly is databases and system analysis, i hear about them but know nothing at all.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
It is uncoventional for sure, but I feel like it might be worth the risk. And im doing it precisely for the variation as i felt like i would feel unfulfilled sticking with just one major and a minor. Plus i know having some skills in programming helps alot, and they offer internships for computer science minors at my university. And what exactly is databases and system analysis, i hear about them but know nothing at all.
Databases:

It basically revolves around inserting/changing/removing data into/in/from a system. Be it movies, books, students. It's about creating something that holds all the information about a certain thing, like the amount of students, their names, age, etc.

System Analysis:

Deconstructing a system to understand how it functions. Also works the other way around. (creating a system that does everything the client requires) Mind you, this is not actually building it. It's just making the layout for how it is going to work.

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
Computer science is the study of what computers [can] do; programming is the practice of making computers do things. It's a lot of math, do you enjoy math?

Reactions: Northcrest

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Computer science is the study of what computers [can] do; programming is the practice of making computers do things. It's a lot of math, do you enjoy math?
Quoted for truth. If you do not enjoy math:

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
Coding itself, unless creating a mathematically-based application, doesn't require that much math. It's more manipulating numbers to carry out specified logic operations. Yes, for the major you are required to take Calc 1,2,3, Linear Alegbra, Discrete. But anyone with the most ordinary mind, with hard work and a bit of tenacity, can pass those classes.

Coding video games also requires a bit of physics knowledge. If you ever hear gamers say "game physics," they are referring to the artificial physics programmed into the game. Again, most of the time this just requires plugging numbers into equations e.g. velocity equation

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Convex and @ByteMe

The computer science minor at my university only requires at least a C in college algebra and a class in discrete mathematics. I enjoyed math when it was in algebra my freshmen year of highschool. But once they started to throw in tans, cos and things like that i lost interest. But that was in pre-cal. I find problem solving some math problems to be entertaining. I guess when the problem solving felt less pratical or something that was too out there i dislike it.

I guess coding and programming are also two different terms. I use them interchagebly.

5,146 Posts
Coding itself, unless creating a mathematically-based application, doesn't require that much math. It's more manipulating numbers to carry out specified logic operations. Yes, for the major you are required to take Calc 1,2,3, Linear Alegbra, Discrete. But anyone with the most ordinary mind, with hard work and a bit of tenacity, can pass those classes.
It depends on how school spreads out its program. I got computer architecture, operating systems II, whole algorithms and data structures and programming II stuffed into one semester together with Linear Algebra and Calculus (as a single subject!) and English crammed into 2nd semester. It butchered 3/4 of the class.

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
It depends on how school spreads out its program. I got computer architecture, operating systems II, whole algorithms and data structures and programming II stuffed into one semester together with Linear Algebra and Calculus (as a single subject!) and English crammed into 2nd semester. It butchered 3/4 of the class.
Lol! How did you survive?? At my school you're supposed to take a light semester with Data Structures because of the workload.

5,146 Posts
Lol! How did you survive?? At my school you're supposed to take a light semester with Data Structures because of the workload.
I didn't :D . I was there only because I got a EU stipend for deficit education and I ended up losing the stipend because I haven't passed the linearalgebraandcalculus.
I was too busy trying to pass algorithmsanddatastructures and computer architecture (which involved learning basics of assembler, construction of a fictional computer and then using the basics of assembler on that fictional computer) and with memorizing tons of definitions of stuff for operating systems II to even think about doing anything with maths.

My year got butchered - 3/4 of class haven't passed linearalgebraandcalculus. I couldn't move to a state university because I didn't have fully closed 1st year and I didn't have money to continue the private college. It ended up with me having to drop-out some time later because of lack of money.

5,146 Posts
One thing I dislike about schools when it comes to IT and CS is that they tend to just throw one thing after another on students and that there's never enough time get in-depth knowledge of stuff. I remember coming back from school so exhausted that I couldn't do anything intellectual until evening, reading stuff up for exams, and semester exams, etc. and then forgetting it, etc.
It is very wasteful and I don't think it's really a good start of a career.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Go for software development. Art is wondeful but unless you're exceptional you will not make a living wage. Delve into database administration and software architecture. It's fun, interesting, and pays very well. Have art for your free time. :)

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
What do you think of web design? You have some arts/design background, plus writing and now you are considering programming. This can be a nice combination for web design, in which you need both design and coding skills (but not the hardcore coding nor deep knowledge of backend systems - backend systems = integration between systems, networks, database and so on). I'm more of a backend programmer myself so I'm not sure what a web designers can/needs to learn, but at least I've worked with a web designer and he does his job using HTML, CSS and Javascript to create nice webpages that me and other programmers incorporate in our applications.

Also, IT is not just limited to programming. Besides programmers and web designers, you also have testers, business analysts (the guys who analyzes the requirements of the applications and the clients' needs and documents these so programmers can use these to develop), management, and other areas like business intelligence, client relationship management, and so on.

5,146 Posts
Go for software development. Art is wondeful but unless you're exceptional you will not make a living wage. Delve into database administration and software architecture. It's fun, interesting, and pays very well. Have art for your free time. :)
How much one needs to learn in database administration to get a job?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Dashing I only have 2 years left of college right now and I rather not pursue an entire degree that i have little interest in. But I know Computer Science has some aspect of software development so i wouldnt mind dabbling into it for the CS minor.
@AriesLilith i would love to pursue that. My original major had classes in web design but i didnt maje it into the program hence why im here. I dont know if the CS minor allows for web desig , but they do have java, html and CSS so if they have web design classes that would be wonderful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts