Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hearing people chew is one of the worst things I can imagine. It's not only that I can't stand it, I get extremely enraged by it and really have to pull myself together not to lose my self-control.

There are certain low repetitive sounds that have this effect on me, like chewing gum, or chewing at all (even with mouth closed), hearing people breathe or sniff repetitively. It triggers such an unreasonable and inappropriate rage within me that I feel I might boil over or explode any second. I'm basically shocking myself...

I always thought that everyone would feel more or less the same way about that stuff. But then I googled it and came across the term "Misophonia" describing exactly this sort of disorder where there is not just a dislike of repetitive sounds but this extreme inner blood-boiling rage.

People who have misophonia are most commonly angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, eating crushed ice, eating, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, whistling or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.

Source: Misophonia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To me it's really just a select few of them like chewing, eating, slurping, breathing, sniffing and rustling of plastic bags. I'm completely fine with the rest, even with my neighbor playing drums or people snoring (well I don't like when people snore but it doesn't enrage me).

I found that many INFPs have a tendency to be sound sensitive at least in some way. But can anyone of you relate to these things, to not only feel dislike but pure hatred? How do you cope with it? What has helped you avoid it?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Really?

There's a whole community of people who like those types of sounds. We call it ASMR.
See, I love ASMR vids and the sounds made in them, but there's one sound that makes me absolutely furious, and that's pouring water. Usually when someone pours water from a kettle into a mug. God damn I hate that sound so much.

Reactions: Soulfully

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
See, I love ASMR vids and the sounds made in them, but there's one sound that makes me absolutely furious, and that's pouring water. Usually when someone pours water from a kettle into a mug. God damn I hate that sound so much.
I hate when they make loud, crackling noises with bags and packaging and stuff. That's totally not conducive to relaxation. Open the stuff up before you make the video, kthx.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really?

There's a whole community of people who like those types of sounds. We call it ASMR.
I've never heard of ASMR before but I just watched some youtube videos. It actually has the intentional soothing effect on me (in addition to a slightly awkward feeling at the thought that I watch those videos... :kitteh: ).

It's not the whole thing of having all sorts of noises around me or even just repetitive sounds in general. I generally don't mind that at all and actually enjoy many of them. But like with @Kito there are some very select few sounds for me that drive me absolutely mad to a completely crazy extent. It's so ridiculous, I know...

Yeah, so ASMR is absolutely fine for me, unless there are sessions of people eating... that would make me turn into Hulk... :tongue:

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Yeah, so ASMR is absolutely fine for me, unless there are sessions of people eating... that would make me turn into Hulk... :tongue:
Oh, there's plenty of that out there. It's the kind of ASMR I usually frequent myself, but hey, to each his own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my only peeve in this world is loud eating. The scene in the LOTR movie where the king is eating and pippin is singing... i literally squirmed in my seat and almost walked out of the theatre.

·
Banned
573 Posts
I dislike the sound of food being chewed, as well. Even when I am chewing my food in a quiet area, if I feel that the world can hear what is being chewed in my mouth, then I try my best to chew gently and as paced as possible.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dislike the sound of food being chewed, as well. Even when I am chewing my food in a quiet area, if I feel that the world can hear what is being chewed in my mouth, then I try my best to chew gently and as paced as possible.
Haha, I'm exactly like that! :laughing: I always get self-conscious and try to eat and drink as quiet as possible when there are people around who could hear me (of course not at a restaurant or dinner table).

·
Registered
623 Posts
I know EXACTLY how you feel, I've been suffering from Misophonia since I was a child and it has created a lot of anxiety in my life.

I don't think people understand what its like, its not merely disliking the sound of something - it is the case of being driven absolutely CRAZY if you cannot get away from that sound. The worst part is, you do not know WHY it drives you crazy and you're aware of how irrational it is - so its not something you can be open about generally.

The nasty thing about Misophonia for me, is the more comfortable to somebody I am, the more I want to punch them in the face. Obviously I would never do that, but you get the point. You can't tell a stranger sitting on front of you on the bus to 'BE QUIET YOU PIGGY', but you might say that to your brother or sister.

The most torturous time for me is at Christmas at my Aunties house. That part of my family have NO CLUE about my problem. I cannot leave the table because it would make me seem even weirder than I am already. They just wouldn't understand it. I usually sit there BOILING deep inside and my fists so clenched my nails are digging deep into my palms.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I think validating this with a label is the problem (and I think that's a problem with many "disorders"). It's putting blame for an inappropriate emotional reaction on the stimulus and using a "disorder" to explain it. I suspect this is likely some repression of anger bubbling up towards unrelated things. Instead of putting on a "disorder badge" I'd work on getting over it. Identify what you're really angry about in life and let yourself fully feel it instead of getting enraged over dumb stuff. We're not taught how to deal with anger & aggression productively; instead we're taught to repress or channel towards other things (ie. sports for men). Your anger is a signal for something, and I doubt it's that someone else's chewing is an intolerable violation.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I mainly dislike whistling, whispering, and the "smacking" sound of kissing. I have never liked whispering, even as a kid. I don't know what it is. I never act out on the annoyances, it's just really...annoying.
I had to take a 14-hour road trip with a couple who were sitting in front of me in the van, whispering in each others ears and kissing for HOURS. I just wanted to scream. They were whispering so low all I could hear were S's, P's and T sounds, and a bunch of kissing inbetween.

Okay, now I feel a little neurotic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting thread . . . as an INFP I am completely oblivious to these sounds. The sensors in my life on the other hand cannot stand these types of noises. For example, sitting in a booth next to a couple people having an inappropriate conversation or a group that is loud has no impact on me. I am always last to hear an annoying sound. The sensors I know typically the first to become unglued. I actually use random tapping sounds at work to drive the sensors around me mad, the other N's don't notice these things. Si is our tertiary function, so I'm a little surprised by this.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Woah, I thought I was the only one who felt so irritated and frustrated at hearing the sound of people chew and swallow anything. It's like nails on chalkboard for me slurping is also just as bad. I don't even like hearing myself swallow.

I feel bad because I give people dirty glares and clench my fists unknowingly. It's so aggravating to hear other people eat so noisily right next to or in front of me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think validating this with a label is the problem (and I think that's a problem with many "disorders"). It's putting blame for an inappropriate emotional reaction on the stimulus and using a "disorder" to explain it. I suspect this is likely some repression of anger bubbling up towards unrelated things. Instead of putting on a "disorder badge" I'd work on getting over it. Identify what you're really angry about in life and let yourself fully feel it instead of getting enraged over dumb stuff. We're not taught how to deal with anger & aggression productively; instead we're taught to repress or channel towards other things (ie. sports for men). Your anger is a signal for something, and I doubt it's that someone else's chewing is an intolerable violation.
For me it was important to realize that it's a disorder at all. I always thought it was completely normal and that everybody would feel that way, just that some people don't care that much when there's a guy chewing gum in the seat behind them during a movie at the theater. When I came across the article and term, I realized that it's not normal. So now I know that something is strange.

Of course, my wish is to understand myself more and to improve myself. That's why I'm here. Feeling so much anger because of something so unimportant is a major pain for me because it stirs so many negative emotions especially towards people who are close to me, people who I love much and want to love well. I want to be perceived and known by other people as someone who acts "soulfully". I'd like to understand it and get rid of it because it's a major negative influence to my emotional wholeness and often leaves me feel bad for at least the rest of the day when something like this happens.

To me realizing, understanding and admitting are the first steps to getting over it and I'm happy about every piece of advice given to get to the root of the problem and remove it. Sorry if I made it seem like a whining thread but my intention for it is to find tips and insight to get over it or any clue that would lead me there.

The worst part is, you do not know WHY it drives you crazy and you're aware of how irrational it is - so its not something you can be open about generally. ... The nasty thing about Misophonia for me is the more comfortable to somebody I am, the more I want to punch them in the face.
The first statement is so true! Even though it really annoys me I'd still feel very uncomfortable to tell someone to stop it or close their mouth when eating gum or to just eat more quietly only because it bothers ME. I always hope someone else would say anything...

The second statement just made me laugh so much! I hate this inner response but it's such an adequate description! :D I'd never do it either, and even feeling that way makes me feel bad...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
BIGGEST PET PEAVE. it's probably the only thing that makes my blood rush and boil. i really dislike how much i hate it, because some people just chew loud and that's okay. but ahhhg, that sound drives me totally bonkers!

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I know EXACTLY how you feel, I've been suffering from Misophonia since I was a child and it has created a lot of anxiety in my life.

I don't think people understand what its like, its not merely disliking the sound of something - it is the case of being driven absolutely CRAZY if you cannot get away from that sound. The worst part is, you do not know WHY it drives you crazy and you're aware of how irrational it is - so its not something you can be open about generally.

The nasty thing about Misophonia for me, is the more comfortable to somebody I am, the more I want to punch them in the face. Obviously I would never do that, but you get the point. You can't tell a stranger sitting on front of you on the bus to 'BE QUIET YOU PIGGY', but you might say that to your brother or sister.

The most torturous time for me is at Christmas at my Aunties house. That part of my family have NO CLUE about my problem. I cannot leave the table because it would make me seem even weirder than I am already. They just wouldn't understand it. I usually sit there BOILING deep inside and my fists so clenched my nails are digging deep into my palms.
http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/00...0/000000/10000/8000/400/18421/18421.strip.gif

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Angela Chase said:
I cannot bring myself to eat a well-balanced meal in front of my mother. It just means too much to her. I mean, if you stop to think about, like, chewing -- what it really is? -- how people just do it, like, in public.

Reactions: Wellsy
1 - 20 of 29 Posts