Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the closest thing I come to a spiritual experience. Sometimes I spend hours listening to ambient, looking out at the day light outside. And I become totally lost somewhere...

It's so odd trying to find an explanation as to why "sound scape" music without lyrics is so powerful, and why it kind of sends me into a trance. Most of the time i'm not even on this planet anyway, so perhaps it's simply the most fitting background music to my thoughts/consciousness? :tongue:

Do any of you do this with such music?
it's funny when people attempt to ask me about what I get up to on my days off... basically I travel the universe in my mind, searching for explanations and attempting to experience pure, raw, feeling. Because I generally feel numb most of the time. Which essentially means that when somebody asks me that question, I just say "errrrrr nothing much" :laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIg0CfsNelc

·
Registered
417 Posts
You must know by now Nova, I'm basically on the same level as you word for word in this OP :crazy: I love doing this.
Perhaps my favorite past-time.
"Most of the time I'm not even on this planet anyway" hahaha you are awesome.

Let us take a voyage through your Nebula of choice...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lots of people are gonna disagree with me but I say this counts as ambient music; the ambience of a room filled with chainsaw wielding monkeys.

I like.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Some of the best ambient music to “get high to” I think is Vidna Obmana, especially his earlier albums like The River of Appearance, Twilight of Perception, Surreal Sanctuary… also Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Biosphere, all of them are mandatory listening for any ambient fan.

I also like industrial/dark ambient quite a lot, especially stuff from the Cold Meat Industry record label. Mostly stuff like Desiderii Marginis, Kammarheit, Letum, Lustmord and so on.

My absolute favorite is this ambient jazz band called Bohren & der Club of Gore, ideal for late nights and darkened, smoke filled rooms.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You must know by now Nova, I'm basically on the same level as you word for word in this OP :crazy: I love doing this.
Perhaps my favorite past-time.
"Most of the time I'm not even on this planet anyway" hahaha you are awesome.

YouTube - Trentemoller- Nightwalker

Let us take a voyage through your Nebula of choice...
YouTube - Voyage through space and galaxies
Oh man... you always post music I love. The first track makes me feel so sexy, in a hypnotic kinda way (wat?) :crazy: all atmosperic-y stuff makes me feel that way I guess.

Glad i'm not riding that nebula on my lonesome. I say we head to the Boomerang nebula?

I loved the fountain... many-a-time I have sat and listened to that whole soundtrack. Amazing what you can do with such a simple motif. Loved that film too.

Some of the best ambient music to “get high to” I think is Vidna Obmana, especially his earlier albums like The River of Appearance, Twilight of Perception, Surreal Sanctuary… also Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Biosphere, all of them are mandatory listening for any ambient fan.

YouTube - Steve Roach - The Memory

I also like industrial/dark ambient quite a lot, especially stuff from the Cold Meat Industry record label. Mostly stuff like Desiderii Marginis, Kammarheit, Letum, Lustmord and so on.

YouTube - Desiderii Marginis: The sweet hereafter

My absolute favorite is this ambient jazz band called Bohren & der Club of Gore, ideal for late nights and darkened, smoke filled rooms.

YouTube - Bohren & der Club of Gore - Prowler
Awesome. I recently came across some darker stuff. The sound is so thick... gah, feels like my head is going to explode if i've been listening to the darker stuff on high volume for 1 hour+

more stuff;

If you like drums in particular....

lol, there's mushrooms in this video and pretty sweet double kicking :cool:

Jazz-y

·
Registered
417 Posts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recently came across some darker stuff. The sound is so thick... gah, feels like my head is going to explode if i've been listening to the darker stuff on high volume for 1 hour+

YouTube - Vladimir Hirsch-Espaces Interdits
Wow this is ..…I mean it feels like I'm.... trying to escape from a ship being attacked on all sides that is about to explode while hurtling through an asteroid field…. :D

I think I'm in love with this song….:mellow:

cool film for postrock, I like to bang on drums. Hard.

lol, there's mushrooms in this video and pretty sweet double kicking :cool:
YouTube - Anathema - Violence ~ Nature Is The Life
Supremely trippy piano, fascinating images, interesting allegory

I want to see this group live. Celestial violin and a slow builduppppp

Also kudos on the Schnauss and Bonobo, some of my top chill favorites.

Oh man... you always post music I love. The first track makes me feel so sexy, in a hypnotic kinda way (wat?) :crazy: all atmosperic-y stuff makes me feel that way I guess.

Glad i'm not riding that nebula on my lonesome. I say we head to the Boomerang nebula?
A hypnotic space tryst as we float away into the depths of the unknown.....sounds about right :wink:

Alright cool, we'll hit up the Boomerang nebula and then strike out towards the Horsehead nebula :proud:

Tasty guitar. mmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I get really high to blues or highly bluesy music - Janis Joplin, for example, sends me swaying and sometimes I get uh... quite excited by it. :crazy: Yeah. I just become totally entranced by that sort of music.

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
every day before i go to bed i spend half an hour in my backyard listening to my music on my swing set pacing around, just removing myself from reality a bit, it's so nice it really hleps me sleep i think

two very different songs i love listening to for that.

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i remember aWHILE ago someone posted a thread with some video and song in it.it was so beautful it had like themes of winter /ice in it...anyone else remember that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, other people love ambient music too! yes!

How about William Basinski? Hes very unusual. They are "loops" like- they repeat and also decay over time... the music sounds so transcendent.

Steve Roach and Eluvium are wonderful too. and there are many others I enjoy listening to as well.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
music can get me into totally different moods than the ones i'm in before i turn the music on.
knowwhati'msayin?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts