Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever gotten in to trouble simply because you couldn't bear the thought of not helping/getting involved even though it was dangerous to do so? Do you find that as an INFJ you have a tendency to rush in to certain situations to help without thinking of the consequences it might have for you? I'd like to hear some examples/stories/thoughts about this.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes. Definitely. But I don't regret it. The thing you're talking about is courage and integrity. Acting out of deep conviction, to help others, to do what is right, is a sign of integrity and a noble thing to do. Doing it despite knowing the negative repercussions, physically or verbally, is the sign of true courage and solid character.

Your behavior is not a flaw, it's a virtue. The world needs more people that behave this way.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yes. Definitely. But I don't regret it. The thing you're talking about is courage and integrity. Acting out of deep conviction, to help others, to do what is right, is a sign of integrity and a noble thing to do. Doing it despite knowing the negative repercussions, physically or verbally, is the sign of true courage and solid character.

Your behavior is not a flaw, it's a virtue. The world needs more people that behave this way.
Such a beautiful, selfless and self-sacrificing virtue. The world would be better place with more people like you.

Reactions: NightSkyGirl

·
Banned
656 Posts
No...unless you count my job choices. Working in human service can be a bit risky in terms of on the job work hazards but for the most part I am into prevention more than anything. I think if we spent more time and energy in prevention and making sure work environments are healthy physically as well as emotionally we would have less need for being the "hero". I know...it doesn't make for good stories to share to say yes I did cut up my clients food to the proper size rather than having to Heimlich them afterwards because someone neglected to. Which was a scary thing to have to go through indeed...not the Heimlich part as I was trained and my protective instincts took over but to see a staff member who was not trained and froze. I dislike pain and having to watch someone else suffer. Being a hero to me is a dirty job but somebody's got to do it but why put someone at risk if you don't need to. The person drowning can easily take with them the person who is trying to rescue them. Hmmm I think I would be a good risk assessor with all the bells and whistles that go off in my head all the time :laughing:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Have you ever gotten in to trouble simply because you couldn't bear the thought of not helping/getting involved even though it was dangerous to do so? Do you find that as an INFJ you have a tendency to rush in to certain situations to help without thinking of the consequences it might have for you? I'd like to hear some examples/stories/thoughts about this.
I'd love to get into trouble with you :tongue:

But on a serious note, this is beautiful. The fact that you'd willingly help someone despite the fact that you may pay dearly for it makes me smile.

I've done similar things myself, like taking tests for people because they were in serious grade trouble and on the verge of flunking out. I'm rather ashamed of it though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have done this.

There was one female coworker who was shunned by The Clique. The typical ignoring, talking as if she was not there, etc... (these are people in their 30's for God's sake).

I took it upon myself to talk to her, I included her in events, and even gave her a $20 gift certificate and card for Mother's day in as subtle a manner as I could. Nonetheless, this earned me their ire, including the scorn of the very popular head Hen (cluck cluck cluck).

I'm currently dealing with the repercussions at work.

·
Banned
656 Posts
I have done this.

There was one female coworker who was shunned by The Clique. The typical ignoring, talking as if she was not there, etc... (these are people in their 30's for God's sake).

I took it upon myself to talk to her, I included her in events, and even gave her a $20 gift certificate and card for Mother's day in as subtle a manner as I could. Nonetheless, this earned me their ire, including the scorn of the very popular head Hen (cluck cluck cluck).

:happy:You made my day! *Virtual Hugs* for just being awesome. Chickens just get older not necessarily more mature. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts

I am an INFP and I am always getting into trouble over what seems to be nothing. Most of the time I just get cause up in me emotions and just act. When I do this I often come off to other way different that I meant to. I think I have a way different view of this world and relationships than most people.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have done this.

I hereby declare you Awesome Person of the Day. I hate little cliques. You rock! :D *hugs*

Reactions: Rube and chaseut

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Back in college I helped someone who stabbed me in the back (beforehand).
We were sort of trespassing school grounds I guess. After hours
I did it because she took revenge on me based on gossip, I suppose I thought I could fix things
Seemed I was the only one blamed when the Dean came by the next day.
Stabbed in the back twice in the end

So naïve back then

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hahaha. You're impossible, Rube. :laughing:
They say when type 2 ENFPs go bad they become flirtatious and attention-seeking to the extreme. Hmm...:crazy:

·
Banned
3,725 Posts

Yeah, I'm guilty of this too. One time I was having a good time at a friend's birthday and he had invited his cousin that he didn't like too much because he was very aggressive and rude person, but he did it anyway. To make long story short, they got drunk and began to fight in the middle of the street and I was quite upset that no one else was intervening, so I took it upon myself to stop both of them from hurting each other. Everyone on the sidewalk were all like "no, no, don't do it". When I got my friend's cousin attention, he seemed determined to fight with me too, but what I didn't realize was that he was from the army and had a black belt. But I still didn't care, so I told him to stop what he was doing and really, all I could do was to find a way to make him cool down since I didn't have a chance against him but still that didn't stop me from getting involved. Fortunately, everything ended up well lol

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can remember one too many times when I've gotten involved because I just couldn't help myself. An example of that was many years ago when one of my friends came over afraid of her ex husband. This guy was much taller than me and twice my size. She had left him because he had gotten in to drugs and was beating her up constantly. This day she came over to my house afraid of being at her parents house(I use to live about four houses away). He knew that she and I were friends so he came over to look for her. We were both alone in my house at the time so I told her to hide in my room. I opened the door and I asked him what he wanted. He was upset, he wanted to see her(I suppose he knew she was there). He was rather impatient and he looked like he might be drugged at the time. I told him to leave. He kept saying he knew she was there but I stood my ground and told him to leave my property. When I look back at the situation, he could have easily just forced his way in(he had a history of beating up women). But I also know that had this happened I would have done everything in my power to stop him from getting to where my friend was. People who hurt those that can't defend themselves or for no reason at all infuriate me.

Another time I remember getting involved where things could have ended badly was when I heard some girls wanted to beat up my friend after school. From what I heard, they didn't like her attitude(thought she was stuck up) so they wanted to "teach her a lesson." I didn't want to get in to a fight(I'm a peace lover) but I did want to be there and stop things in case they did actually do it. So the day this was suppose to happen I asked my brother to take me to my friends bus stop. We waited there in the car for about thirty minutes. The bus came and my friend got out and sure enough three girls got off(where it wasn't their regular bus stop) and went after her. I immediately got out of my car and went to meet her. As soon as they saw me the three turned around and headed in the opposite direction. I am not tough looking or anything and I'm pretty sure they weren't scared me. I just think they were not expecting anyone else to get involved. Things could have easily ended up badly but I just wasn't thinking. My reaction was to protect my friend.

I have other stories but I think I've written enough for now. :tongue:

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I can remember one too many times when I've gotten involved because I just couldn't help myself. An example of that was many years ago when one of my friends came over afraid of her ex husband. This guy was much taller than me and twice my size. She had left him because he had gotten in to drugs and was beating her up constantly. This day she came over to my house afraid of being at her parents house(I use to live about four houses away). He knew that she and I were friends so he came over to look for her. We were both alone in my house at the time so I told her to hide in my room. I opened the door and I asked him what he wanted. He was upset, he wanted to see her(I suppose he knew she was there). He was rather impatient and he looked like he might be drugged at the time. I told him to leave. He kept saying he knew she was there but I stood my ground and told him to leave my property. When I look back at the situation, he could have easily just forced his way in(he had a history of beating up women). But I also know that had this happened I would have done everything in my power to stop him from getting to where my friend was. People who hurt those that can't defend themselves or for no reason at all infuriate me.

Another time I remember getting involved where things could have ended badly was when I heard some girls wanted to beat up my friend after school. From what I heard, they didn't like her attitude(thought she was stuck up) so they wanted to "teach her a lesson." I didn't want to get in to a fight(I'm a peace lover) but I did want to be there and stop things in case they did actually do it. So the day this was suppose to happen I asked my brother to take me to my friends bus stop. We waited there in the car for about thirty minutes. The bus came and my friend got out and sure enough three girls got off(where it wasn't their regular bus stop) and went after her. I immediately got out of my car and went to meet her. As soon as they saw me the three turned around and headed in the opposite direction. I am not tough looking or anything and I'm pretty sure they weren't scared me. I just think they were not expecting anyone else to get involved. Things could have easily ended up badly but I just wasn't thinking. My reaction was to protect my friend.

I have other stories but I think I've written enough for now. :tongue:
I guess I would've done the same thing you did on those situations. And I could tell you to be more careful but I know that our protective instincts are always one step ahead of us. I've also gotten into too many kinds of trouble similar to yours. But tell more of your stories, I'm all open ears:laughing:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I would've done the same thing you did on those situations. And I could tell you to be more careful but I know that our protective instincts are always one step ahead of us. I've also gotten into too many kinds of trouble similar to yours. But tell more of your stories, I'm all open ears:laughing:
Aw, I want to hear some of yours(and everyone else)! I'll go after you. :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
They say when type 2 ENFPs go bad they become flirtatious and attention-seeking to the extreme. Hmm...:crazy:
sounds like my friend when she gets too drunk.

Aw, I want to hear some of yours(and everyone else)! I'll go after you. :)

I have a similar story. drunk guy messing everything up. couldn't talk straight and was garbling all his words.
it was at my other friends families house.
totally akward.
anyway... he was trying to beat me up but thought I was someone else, and people didn't want to deal with him anymore, he tried to fight my friends uncle the owner of the house.

and agressive men are my own personal nightmare but I had to face it.
ironically when I was outside trying to calm him down logically the only thought that popped into myhead was to kiss him.
so I did.
and he calmed down.
calling me a "big gay bastard." in that loving way all my straight friends do.
the night got better
I ended up driving him home and taking him away from all the drama.
let him vent a bit in my car and listen to his favorite music.

made a note to talk to him about it all later, which I did.
he seems to have been better now.
I really wanted him to be too. because he is an amazing individual who only wants to help, but some people have skeletons in their closet, shadows from the past that need to be banished and released.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sounds like my friend when she gets too drunk.

I have a similar story. drunk guy messing everything up. couldn't talk straight and was garbling all his words.
it was at my other friends families house.
totally akward.
anyway... he was trying to beat me up but thought I was someone else, and people didn't want to deal with him anymore, he tried to fight my friends uncle the owner of the house.

and agressive men are my own personal nightmare but I had to face it.
ironically when I was outside trying to calm him down logically the only thought that popped into myhead was to kiss him.
so I did.
and he calmed down.
calling me a "big gay bastard." in that loving way all my straight friends do.
the night got better
I ended up driving him home and taking him away from all the drama.
let him vent a bit in my car and listen to his favorite music.

made a note to talk to him about it all later, which I did.
he seems to have been better now.
I really wanted him to be too. because he is an amazing individual who only wants to help, but some people have skeletons in their closet, shadows from the past that need to be banished and released.
Hmm, kiss someone to calm them down. I would have never thought of that! :crazy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts