Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. As you can guess, I'm having some difficulty determining my type. I was first typed as INTJ by the humanmetrics test. After reading some descriptions, INTP seemed to fit more, and other tests I took confirmed it.

Later, on INTP Central, forum user Technical typed me as INFP. He later refined it to INFJ.

After asking on Typology Central, I've been typed as ISTJ, ISTP, ENTP, and ESTJ.

It seems the more I inquire, the cloudier my type becomes.

Someone suggested doing a video, so I did, but I seemed very unnatural (to me) and I had an unusually difficult time answering the questions that were suggested. The questions were about things I don't normally think about. Another user posted another set of questions that most viewed as silly, but I found it much easier answering them and this video was more natural, as well as shorter. In case the difficulty vs ease of answering certain types of questions gives clues about my type, I'll post the 2 sets. This was the first set I had a hard time with:

what makes you angry?
what do you like/dislike most about people?
do you like animals? why?
what do you like most about the favorite people in your life?
what do you like/dislike most about yourself?
do you care about being fashionable? why/why not?
do you prefer to fit in or stand out?
what activities do you enjoy?
what makes you feel secure?
do you like being in a relationship? why/why not?
what do you love and why? Could be people, things, places, etc...
what do you spend the most time thinking about?
How much have you changed over the years? Who were you as a child?
Here's the set I preferred answering:

What's your type?
What colour do you like?
What is your favourite personality?
Where can you find clams?
Are you fascinated by wooden planks?
Do people make you fascinated by boats?
Does the number 9 resemble the number 6?
How are elastic bands made?
Do you step on the floor tiles only being able to step on the one's that fit into the pattern in your mind?
Do you take your finger and make sure it does not meet a lamp post and only go over it using your field of vision as the picture?
If you put a pig in an airplane does that mean that pigs can fly?
Did you ever remember the 5th of November?
Here are the 2 parts of the video. The first one was cut off because I didn't realize I was coming up against the length limit. The second part contains the part that was cut off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It might just be me, but for some reason your voice reminds me of George Clooney. (I may just be bat shits crazy though)

I will eventually post with your type, I'm still thinking though.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Surest way to determine your type is to read in more detail about cognitive functions of the different types. Then figure out which ones you seem to use most. I've tested INFJ, INFP, INTJ a few times but it was only when I read in great detail about how such things as introverted intuition or extraverted thinking really work out that I was able to determine my type. This took a week though :p Backup method is to also hang out on forums of the different personality types and read the sticky threads that go "you know you are type X when". Then see if many of those things resonate with you.

Usually people are most familiar with their dominant and auxiliary functions, such as when they read descriptions of those they can easily relate to them. However reading about functions that you don't use much you won't readily understand their descriptions or see how they may apply to your everyday life. So look up what dom and aux functions INTPs, INFPs, INFJs, and INTJs have and read about them.

Here is good place to read about functions: Function Attitude
More references:
ENFP Beginners Guide
MBTI Personality Type Dynamics
Fundamental Nature of the MBTI

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Your videos give me a Ni feel. There is also focus on symbolism and general people orientation, so you might be INFJ. For INFJs the tertiary function is Ti. So it seems to happen that people get drawn to those who show proficiency with use of their tertiary and to some extend inferior functions. This means INFJs get drawn to INTPs, ISTPs, ENTPs, and ESTPs because these types have dominant or auxiliary Ti. Could explain you were drawn to INTPs first.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your videos give me a Ni feel. There is also focus on symbolism and general people orientation, so you might be INFJ. For INFJs the tertiary function is Ti. So it seems to happen that people get drawn to those who show proficiency with use of their tertiary and to some extend inferior functions. This means INFJs get drawn to INTPs, ISTPs, ENTPs, and ESTPs because these types have dominant or auxiliary Ti. Could explain you were drawn to INTPs first.
I'm not drawn to those types. Those are what other people typed me as based on things I said.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I sense Ni/Se in your video. So top types to consider would be INFJ, INTJ and then ISTP or ISFP although those two are less likely since you seem to really explore the meaning of your answers and you seem more open with your ideas than I'd imagine an ISP would be.

I'd also prefer the second set of questions. The first set seems to be asking for past details which is more Si or about personal feelings which is more Fi. The questions seem way too open for me to answer - eg 'what activities do you enjoy?' has too many possible answers. I'd want to narrow it down a bit to what sort of activities they are referring to and what they mean by 'enjoy' before I'd answer it or maybe that's my Ti wanting preciseness in definitions.

The second set of questions would appear to have limited options to the Ni/Se person (like there is only a few places you can probably find clams, only 16 types, only a limited number of colours etc) so they are easier to answer since the Ni which may look for alternate meanings doesn't get so overwhelmed and I don't need to talk about my feelings. Oh wait but this isn't about me, lol.

Um... I see a lot of Ni and slight Ti = possibly INFJ.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an idea and was doing some tallying of functions based on this and another forum. I counted all the functions people said I exhibited and then listed the types that have those as the 1st and 2nd functions. Here are how many mentions there are of the following (I only counted mentions by the same people once):

Ti 7
Se 3
Ne 3
Ni 3
Te 1
Si 1

Based on this, types with one of these as dominant get the corresponding points assigned to it and types with these as secondary get half the corresponding points. So far the list is:

ISTP 8.5
INTP 8.5
ESTP 6.5
ENTP 6.5
INTJ 4.5
INFJ 4
ESFP 3
ENFP 3
ENTJ 2.5
ISFP 1.5
ENFJ 1.5
ESTJ 1.5
ISTJ 1.5
INFP 1.5
ISFJ 1
ESFJ 0.5

Maybe if everyone concentrates mainly on the functions they see, I can refine this and see what results.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Ni - do you like observing things and putting things together to form a single model, single system, to unite them to figure out how something works? do you get 'vibes' about knowing something and then have to spend time pulling these 'vibes' apart to formulate an explanation? are you pretty vague in your opinions because it seems like there is a variety of possible options out there so you have trouble committing to one?
Ti - do you prefer taking models and systems apart and examining how different parts work? forming a judgement about them? to you strive for accuracy in self-expression? do you tend to take things literally and prefer people would express themselves clearly too? do you form relatively solid opinions about most things?
ISTP - are you more of kinesthetic learner? I've noticed the two ISTPs I've known and several ISTPs on this forum report that they learn best by doing something

INTP - detailed INTP profile if you haven't seen it yet: An INTP Profile
Expressions of Fe in IxTPs described - see if you can relate to any of this: personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/19840-form-inferior-itp.html
INFJ profile - http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/4629-infj-profile.html

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You may have just used Ni again to come up with another way of looking at things.

You may also be using Fe to find out what everyone else's opinion is.

That seems a bit unlike an ITP. Well it's not that I wouldn't do those things since I do occasionally use those functions however, primarily I would depend on my Ti to make sure my ideas of both me and the functions are right. If something is off I might go use my Se to get more facts. If something still doesn't make sense I might try to use Ni to come up with another way to look at things. If things still aren't working then I'd probably resort to connecting with people to find out answers but that's kind of a last resort.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see. Well, the whole point of "What's my type?" is to see what other people think. I would think it would be more Te doing that. I wouldn't expect Fe to care about type.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
It is actually dominant or auxiliary Fi or Ti in combination with P who are most resistant to typing. They seem to mind being fitted into a pattern or stereotyped more so than other types. Both Te and Fe are also called 'conformist' thinking and feeling that do not mind 'falling in' so to say, doing whatever is acceptable by outside standard.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think that Ti is a logic defined personally thing. Like people can say whatever they like but if it doesn't make sense to you, you're not going to really believe them. But Te is more like 'who cares if it makes sense or not what is important is that it works'. Ti wants to understand things.

Obviously I'm not representative of all dominant Ti thinkers - only one - me:), however finding out people's opinions is not a preferred approach for me since what's frustrating is that people say - oh you show signs of blah-blah-blah function but they don't say what those signs are or how they came to that conclusion so how am I supposed to understand what I should believe? For me, I'd rather they just stick to the S facts and say Ti means this, Se means that, that seems to show Ni because of such and such reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that Ti is a logic defined personally thing. Like people can say whatever they like but if it doesn't make sense to you, you're not going to really believe them. But Te is more like 'who cares if it makes sense or not what is important is that it works'. Ti wants to understand things.

Obviously I'm not representative of all dominant Ti thinkers - only one - me:), however finding out people's opinions is not a preferred approach for me since what's frustrating is that people say - oh you show signs of blah-blah-blah function but they don't say what those signs are or how they came to that conclusion so how am I supposed to understand what I should believe? For me, I'd rather they just stick to the S facts and say Ti means this, Se means that, that seems to show Ni because of such and such reason.
Exactly. It does get frustrating. This reminds me of a short conversation I had with my fiancée last night. She was showing me the sign for mother, which was to put your right thumb on your right cheek and the rest of your hand fan out in front of your face. The sign for grandmother was to do the mother sign, then make your hand do 2 upside down arcs away from your face. She said it was because your grandma was 2 removed.

Immediately, I thought: Mother = 0 removed. Grandma = 2 removed. ? = 1 removed. I asked why grandma wasn't 1 removed. She said it was because she's your grandma, so she is 2 removed from you. I asked why mother wasn't 1 removed. She said it was. So why isn't the sign for mother to do 1 upside down arc away from your face. She got frustrated because I wasn't just accepting what the sign was.

My favorite way to be typed is for someone to say, you do such and such, which points to this function because of this. You also do this which points to this other function because of this. Based on this, you are most likely these types. However, in this type of situation, a x would most likely do this, a y would do this, and a z would do this. Which would you do?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Immediately, I thought: Mother = 0 removed. Grandma = 2 removed. ? = 1 removed. I asked why grandma wasn't 1 removed. She said it was because she's your grandma, so she is 2 removed from you. I asked why mother wasn't 1 removed. She said it was. So why isn't the sign for mother to do 1 upside down arc away from your face. She got frustrated because I wasn't just accepting what the sign was.

My favorite way to be typed is for someone to say, you do such and such, which points to this function because of this. You also do this which points to this other function because of this. Based on this, you are most likely these types. However, in this type of situation, a x would most likely do this, a y would do this, and a z would do this. Which would you do?
It might be best then to ask the people whose types you think you are if you really are like them. They'd probably be more familiar with the real life behaviour or thinking linked to those types.

I'm still 51% convinced that you are an INFJ though:laughing:
Ni/Ti since you immediately thought of another way of looking at the sign or finding out what it all means.

Did you ever read this article: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/25205-dominant-tertiary-loops-common-personality-disorders.html (although I'd ignore the disorders stuff)?

I have the idea that people run into problems when they don't use their top two functions enough. At least I do. I pretend that I'm an NF and try to do what I immagine other people will want me to do or I spend too long thinking up possibilities that end up wrong. Meanwhile I should be concentrating on doing the logical thing and using Se to seek the real good information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts