Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't drawn anything except for my drawing class for the past couple of weeks or even months now. Every time I sit down to try to get myself to draw I usually end up distracting myself with something else or just sit there looking at the blank page. I want to improve my drawing skills and I seem to have hit a wall or in a funk.

Any ideas and advice?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Why are you drawing in the first place? What words are you using when trying to get yourself to do it? Does it feel like a task, a journey, work, fun, or a grueling chore?
Do you have a deep feeling of inspiration? Anything you'd like to express through art? Any epiphonies lately that might help influence your creative thoughts?
I find that I'm most likely to paint when I'm all alone. Usually at night oddly enough as much as i love using the sun as my light because the light is so pure. But it's a calm time where nobody's energy will influence me so I won't lose the feeling I'm painting with. It's also nicest for me around noon, when the light is beautiful and bright, just pulling a chair and table outside and painting for a few hours! So nice! It can be difficult for me to be motivated enough to do any of that though. Motivation is what I'm working on.. I usually don't worry about what I'll draw and paint, I usually worry about what I'm feeling, what I want to say, and what's in my heart: then I look for a means of expressing that ^_^
Hope this helps. I hope you answer those questions honestly. It's easy to answer questions like those with what we'd LIKE to answer them with.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are you drawing in the first place? What words are you using when trying to get yourself to do it? Does it feel like a task, a journey, work, fun, or a grueling chore?
Do you have a deep feeling of inspiration? Anything you'd like to express through art? Any epiphonies lately that might help influence your creative thoughts?
The reason I am drawing is so I can do fan art, draw my own characters so I can get a better understanding on how they look and how they may act/behave, also want to be able to draw comics/graphic novels, and experiment with doing animation. I do write, but I am more visual then verbal and I prefer the visual type of medium for a large majority of story/character concepts and ideas I have come up with over the years.

It does feel more like a task/grueling chore most of the time since I am still not very skill and sometimes not really sure where to begin. But it is also fun. I sometimes just doodle random stuff on notes in school to alleviate boredom.

Deep feeling of inspiration... I usually get some of that feeling of inspiration when looking at great drawings on deviant art, watching a good animated series/movies, and the art work in some graphic novels. But they sometimes also intimidate as well. Not really sure what I want to express exactly.

The expressions will be different character to character and depending on content/context.

Only epiphanies I have had lately creatively was on the one story I am currently working on writing. I already determined that it is going to be linked to one of the story ideas involving one specific character that is more of a visual based story. The epiphany that I had was the ending involving that character and the supporting characters being introduced where originally I was just going to have it end after the characters in the story parts came to an end.

Thank you for your input.:proud:

·
Registered
124 Posts
It does feel more like a task/grueling chore most of the time since I am still not very skill and sometimes not really sure where to begin.
In my own experience, especially when I was a beginner, I felt intimidated by blank pages! I felt as though I would sully the paper with very ugly drawings and sometimes I did! But it's just better to work through that fear and accept that not everything you do is going to be great or meant to be shared. At the same time try to do some life drawing if you don't already!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
go to a park and just draw shapes of things you see, then leave and the next day look at the shapes and make something completely different from them.

·
Sludgefeast
14,861 Posts
Stab a hamburger at McDonalds. Then leap upon the table like a chimp. Place the wounded burger in your mouth and thrash it back in forth. Do not consume the burger, just spit it out. Throw a napkin holder at the alpha male of the establishment (probably the manager). Rip out his/her jugular vein then run out of location. Keep running for about half a mile. When you stop, be sure to groom yourself. Start a fire and celebrate.

Repeat as desired.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would follow Tig's suggestion and get into life drawing, for me if I can't get any flow going, I go to the used bookstore and get tons of art magazines and look at books of famous artists. But again, simply practicing regularly through life drawing is really effective, too. Sometimes I have to drag myself, force myself. Frosty's approach is a bit primal for my taste, but might work nonetheless.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
In my own experience, especially when I was a beginner, I felt intimidated by blank pages! I felt as though I would sully the paper with very ugly drawings and sometimes I did! But it's just better to work through that fear and accept that not everything you do is going to be great or meant to be shared. At the same time try to do some life drawing if you don't already!
This is true. A blank page is intimidating for me too. That's why I am more likely to feel motivated to start a drawing after scribbling on the page randomly. Even a very small scribble in the middle of the page can be enough to ease the tension. This can be done somewhat lightly unless you plan to use the scribble as the seed for your image, as I tend to do. I have found that it is easier to alter something that is already there than to make something from nothing.

If you have a plan for your art, you can make your scribbles more specific, creating relevant shapes where the image should be placed. Perhaps you can use a rough oval to indicate a head, or a few lines to show where the figure's arms might be. Once you have some markings, you can erase the parts you don't want to keep, and move them where you actually want them, refining the image as you go. This process becomes more of a game, and it is very relaxed. There is no pressure to get anything right the first time, so it tends not to feel so chore-like.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,669 Posts
This is true. A blank page is intimidating for me too. That's why I am more likely to feel motivated to start a drawing after scribbling on the page randomly. Even a very small scribble in the middle of the page can be enough to ease the tension. This can be done somewhat lightly unless you plan to use the scribble as the seed for your image, as I tend to do. I have found that it is easier to alter something that is already there than to make something from nothing.
Thats a good idea, I might try that in future.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
This is what I'm doing with one piece. Take a marker and put it on the paper. Make something, and as you are drawing, don't be conscious of what you are doing. draw circles, squares, what have you, just don't say "I am going to draw a car or a house." See where it takes you. It's sort of a Jackson Pollock method, you're consumed in the drawing, and yet you're open to exploring of what it will be. There's no wrong way, everyone's style is unique to them. Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I also draw random shapes and make them into characters and that seems to get me interested again. I think that is a good way to generate ideas without sitting there, stress out in front of a piece of paper. Sometimes imagining characters or animals within those shapes can be very inspiring. You could also try reworking old drawings that could use some improvements.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump.

Haven't been able to get myself to do anything for the pass couple of months. I have two stories only partially written, drawing I just can't get myself to do, and making AMVs I haven't done one in so long. And I kind of want to try to get in the amv contest next Otakon. Why the hell can't I get myself to do anything? It's not like roaming the internet and passing out at my computer is more entertaining or fun.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
When I get artist blocked I just force myself to do what I do best. After I manage to complete some stuff that I am used to, I get out of the block and start doing something new and exciting. The other approach is to start doodling and find some forms and crazy ideas in the random brushstrokes (I draw digitally so achieving this is not so hard).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts