Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I love (as I'm sure many PerC members do) to talk about topics that'd generally be considered 'deep', such as philosophy, psychology, and just what the people I'm speaking to feel/think on a deeper level. Yet I find, if I'm not used to it, that initially bringing this angle to a conversation is very difficult, and that I can't help but feel as though the other person will think I'm peculiar for stepping into this sorta conversational territory. So, I guess I'm asking if anyone knows of any techniques for moving onto these sorts of conversations more easily (or better, seeing how the person I'm speaking to would respond to this sort of topic-shift) and just general conversational techniques to help someone get to know another person better past superficial details?

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
So, I love (as I'm sure many PerC members do) to talk about topics that'd generally be considered 'deep', such as philosophy, psychology, and just what the people I'm speaking to feel/think on a deeper level. Yet I find, if I'm not used to it, that initially bringing this angle to a conversation is very difficult, and that I can't help but feel as though the other person will think I'm peculiar for stepping into this sorta conversational territory. So, I guess I'm asking if anyone knows of any techniques for moving onto these sorts of conversations more easily (or better, seeing how the person I'm speaking to would respond to this sort of topic-shift) and just general conversational techniques to help someone get to know another person better past superficial details?
''I'm cah-raving a deep, philosophical discussion. If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, is it possible for it to experience flatulence? I mean, nobody is there to know if trees flatulate or not. Surely it could be possible!''

''Let's talk about religion! Young earth creationists are awesome, don't you thinK?''

''So, your take on politics? I'm a big fan of communism...''

These special, personal and feely ways to get a conversation going are sure to win you many friends. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
The people I'm around never have a problem going into deeper issues, usually sparked by a news article and ignites discussion. So one way is to take a current event, like the partial government shutdown, as an ice breaker into the political world. "Did you hear XYZ this morning on the government shutdown? What do you think of that? Who do you blame for it?"

Or pull a Sheldon and simply pass them a few tests to fill out on personality, politics, ethics/morality, religion, so on and discusses it. Yeah it may be awkward but that never stopped Sheldon from asking or saying things that seemed logical to his mind. :p

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
A lot of this is dependent on non verbal communication for me.

Just the vibes l get from someone and the subtle ways in which they respond to things...small tests l perform before l release weird on anyone. Look for a curious spark in the eyes, something that essentially translates to : '':crazy:''

Though, for me it also depends on other person if they're trying to engage me in something ''deep''. l have a family member who does this with everyone, and we only see each other on holidays but he gets very heavy very fast with people. Doesn't seem to look for those cues.

He probably thinks l'm shallow, but he's not really the sort of person l'd engage in that kind of discussion with.

Reactions: Word Dispenser

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Just ask them 2 questions back to back.

One very basic one and one on a less superficial level.

For example :

"Hey when was the last time you took a dump?"
"Did you think the jailing of the Greenpeace activists is justifiable? what are your thoughts on the matter?"

Depending on which one they answer first or pay attention to you can gauge what level of conversation they would be willing to take part in.

In all honesty though it really depends on the people. Don't be too confrontational about it, but in casual conversation bring something you wish to talk about up while simultaneous bringing into the conversation something else as well.

When people especially groups of people engage in conversation no one likes to be left out. The topic that is usually considered however is the one the person who has the highest authority within to group would bring up. So be the one who controls the conversation but it also has to relate to a majority in the group otherwise someone would take up something else.

In a one to one scenario, its a little trickier. Most people who want to take conversation to a deeper level have gotten so tired of not getting there and have therefore adopted to conversing on a more superficial level. Once it is established that both parties are interested in more complex matters only does the facade move away and whatever relative awkwardness would also be removed.

Now my example above actually does apply here (not in the same context but I assume you get the general idea). Introduce two topics of conversation to consider. One relatively superficial and one a little less so. If they take up the latter its a clear indication that there is general interest there so take that up and then move on from there.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
When conversing with people and trying to gauge what possible subjects are or aren't, you need to be "sly as a fox" This is external consideration. Its a deliberate attempt to get in the other persons mental shoes(as much as that is possible) to see what is right for them and what isn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts