Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take on a lot of creative hobbies and often try getting opinions from my family, but they aren't very creatively inclined. Trying to get them to brain storm or criticize is like pulling teeth. This seems to transcend personality type. Does anyone else know people like this?

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you're like me, each of your projects is an expression of a specific message. If someone was present for the genesis of the idea, and they were excited by it at the time, or if someone shares your passion or understanding of the subject, they'll be able to brainstorm with you and help you surpass creative roadblocks. Your family may fulfill this role from time to time (or all the time, if you're very lucky), but generally speaking, it's better to present family with the finished product and ask them what it made them think or feel. You'll need a sample audience to see if you managed to express your message in a coherent fashion, or if the project needs a little refining, and family members and friends are happy to serve this purpose. In the absence of a friend or mentor who "gets it," you're better off taking a break, or following your instincts than you are soliciting advice from people who need a lot of explanation just to understand what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I rarely show other people my creative efforts. When I draw or sculpt something, I usually don't think it is good enough to show off to get opinions in the first place. I guess my rationale is if I'm not happy with it, why would anyone else like it? And if I write something meaningful, it feels too personal to share with anyone. If I ever attain any kind of recognition for my work, it will assuredly be posthumously.

Reactions: s2theizay

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah, but I'm lucky that I have an ENFP sister so her Ne-dom comes into great use when I need a fresh perspective on something. My mother's Ni-aux doesn't seem very creative for some reason, she just comes up with the same old ideas that she's thought of. Maybe more depth, yes, but still not a completely new idea. Rest of the family are sensors and getting them to be creative is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Just try to find another Ne-dom/Ne-aux to discuss your hobbies with. I know that's more difficult than it sounds.

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
I'm a bit of the opposite. I don't look for other people's opinions or suggestions. My family happens to be full of creative people so getting them to think creatively isn't the problem. Making something I think is worthy of their attention is.

EDIT: Unless I'm doing a slightly more dramatic sock puppet retelling of Shakespeare. That, I don't mind showing off.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
'The Bohemians' from Steve Martins's Cruel Shoes

Were they rebels? Were they artists? Were they outcasts from society? They were all of these. They were The Bohemians.
These bohemians, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Williams, and their seven children, Biff, Tina, Sparky, Louise, Tuffy, Mickey, and Biff Number Two, lived in a notorious artists’ colony and planned community.

Naturally, the bohemians’ existence thrived on creativity. Early in the morning, Mrs. Williams would rise and create breakfast. Then, Mr. Williams, inspired by his wife’s limitless energy, would rush off to a special room and create tiny hairs in a sink. The children would create things, too. But being temperamental artists, they would often flush them away without a second thought.

But the bohemians’ creativity didn’t stop there. Mr. Williams would then rush downtown and create reams and reams of papers with numbers on them and send them out to other bohemians who would create special checks to him with figures like $7.27 written on them.

At home, the children would be creating unusual music, using only their voices to combine in avant-garde, atonal melodies.

Yes, these were the bohemians. A seething hot-bed of rebellion — the artists, the creators of all things that lie between good and bad.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
@FakeLefty I can't believe I just watched that.

Reactions: FakeLefty

·
Banned
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
the problem is, creativity involves risk. Combining things just to see if it works without preconceived opinions. Everyone is much more interested in security.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Fantasy mostly. I try out other genres, but I end up circling back to fantasy.
Hah, that's exactly what I do :p I dabbled in some scifi for a while but it turned into fantasy eventually.

Reactions: Leaf on the Wind

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
the problem is, creativity involves risk. Combining things just to see if it works without preconceived opinions. Everyone is much more interested in security.
Everyone is? I believe this technicality is incorrect.

Congrats. That's 3 minutes of your life that you'll never get back.
I wonder how many minutes were wasted making it

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Everyone is? I believe this technicality is incorrect.
well if you want to get that technical about it, since it followed my statement about risk, by context I mean everyone else. This is because I couldn't have made the statement about risk if weren't clear the opposite of interest in security involving people could occur. Or since risk was never clearly defined, perhaps those who truly commited the creative risk I speak of are forbidden by natural selection to exist. Therefore "everyone" would be accurate.

Or if you are trying to explain that you take risks, I respect that.

Reactions: lookslikeiwin

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
well if you want to get that technical about it, since it followed my statement about risk, by context I mean everyone else. This is because I couldn't have made the statement about risk if weren't clear the opposite of interest in security involving people could occur. Or since risk was never clearly defined, perhaps those who truly commited the creative risk I speak of are forbidden by natural selection to exist. Therefore "everyone" would be accurate.

Or if you are trying to explain that you take risks, I respect that.
In all honesty, I was just being obnoxious. I completely knew what you meant. Though I would like to think I take risks, but I won't be able to prove that until I actually publish something.

Reactions: forgotten reason

·
Registered
74 Posts
My mom and dad are especially not the best at brain storming or thinking about theories.. You just have to sort of have a good amount of evidence to back you up and they'll think you're smart..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts