Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After some research, it seems that the most related types to giftedness are NP types. As a child I was "diagnosed" as, I think, a gifted kid. My mother says that they never gave the IQ results that I got, but I remember going to a center for kids with some psychological problems, I remember being very bored in class, unable to stay focused, I would do assignements very easily and quickly and then move on to babble with other kids who in the end weren't able to focus on the assignement. I was a very hyper kid at school, but at home, I woud just sit and play video games.
I knew how to read way before a kid was supposed to, before I could even hold a pen, I learned to use my left hand, while I was normally a right handed kid. In the end I had to skip a year and things became a bit more challenging, I was more or less at a suitable "level".

Fun thing is that I remember having to write down multiplication tables nemerous times in order to learn them, mathematics were my huge weakness. I always thought that it was my mother who told me to do that, but after asking many many years later, she told me that I was the one inventing fictional homeworks. I guess I was a weird kid.
I didn't knew how to "work", usually knowledge would just come out of nowhere, I couldn't recite the lesson, but I didn't need it for accomplishing the tasks in school.
Since maths were my weakness and that I didn't knew how to sit down and work on it in order to understand it, I never had good grades in maths, however language was effortless for me.

Reading descriptions of gifted kids, I heavily relate to parts of it, it's like I matured backwards.

In the end, my parents refused to work on that, they wanted me to be normal and in the mold. I resent them for that, I always felt a bit off, looking for something without knowing what. Things are a bit better now, I'm able to navigate social situations, I used to test as INTP, now I'm 50/50 between I and E. And I lost most of the contempt I had for most people,
But there is this vague feeling of nostalgia, of what could have been.

I still have no interest of mathematics, I think I lost most of this 'thing', academics are still not too difficult for me, I very easily understand concepts (when they interest me) and I still have this "intuition", sometimes I know how things are, but I can't explain it. For example in english (I'm not american, or from the UK), I "feel" the words, very often I think in english in my head, or when I'm looking for a term, I know the english term, but not the one in my native language. I wouldn't say I'm a particuarly sharp guy, maybe I have a shitty IQ, I'm very goofy in social situations and I can probably come off as a dumb and clumsy guy with shitty attention capabilities.

Do you have experiences with gifted persons, or are you one ? How did you turn out in the end ? Why would NPs be more prevalent in the case of giftedness ? What do you think of giftedness ?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what breakthroughs are you currently working on
yeah, I don't plan on working on any breakthrough right now, I am not big on all science and mathematics thing, ending with a job that suits me is all I ask for now, just figuring out what to do with my life would be a good thing for now.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
My youngest daughter is INFP 9
Although she is extremely special to me. I consider her despite her various inclinations of strength of gift in specific areas (her greatest attribute imo is her well roundedness & versatility).

She happens to excel in two areas specific Math/Sciences & Fine Arts
I make it a point to foster her growth in those inclinations by pointing her in the direction so she has the availability to utilize her strengths; she is in Piano, Independent Arts Underground, & goes to a Math & Science camp for youth at our near by university. BUT she actually has been in dance recreationally since age 3 and enjoys that for recreation (she does it for expression and socially vs her older sister who does it intense in many spectrums and levels and genres competitively). She also enjoys swimming and is a very great swimmer.

I am happy she actively cultivates her strengths and interests and polishes those. But I am even more happy that she is so open and flexible to expanding on being a well rounded person who can adapt. She is very conscientious and usually mindful and kind as well. I consider her greatest quality to be her well rounded ness mixed with her character. Despite all her various degrees of gifts. But fostering those gifts I do believe helps develop character as far as team building, socializing, endurance, commitment, etc

I certainly put energy towards fostering her growth and expansion on her strengths but I prefer to just lay out the access and plant the seed and let her take the initiative and as I said I am glad she is dynamic and well rounded. I try and point both my kids in the direction of their gifts and interests and fostering those things while bringing them both outside their comfort zones and helping them expand outside that so they are not one dimensional. For example my eldest is ESTP 3 she excels at reading and literature, athletic/competitive dance, singing, and business/leadership roles although I encourage her strengths (gifts) that does not mean she is not challenged to broaden her horizons.

Anyways I could see my INFP ranging from anything from a nurse/doctor, computer engineering, to the other extreme of like a make up artist. As long as she can sufficiently care for herself and can find some sense of self and happiness I don't care

I think most children are bright or have the initial potential and gifts it's whether that is fostered

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
After some research, it seems that the most related types to giftedness are NP types.
I suspect your research was faulty. MBTI stats indicate that N is the largest MBTI-related contributor to standard, academic-related aspects of "intelligence" — and by a substantial margin — but introversion is the most significant secondary contributor.

See this post for more — including a large study on the types of gifted adolescents.

Can you point us to any respectable sources for your conclusion that NPs are the most "gifted" foursome?

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
in b4 someone comes ranting "IQ tests don't really measure intelligence (but my untested, non-standardized personal theories do)" and "you're only bringing this up to feel better about yourself"

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect your research was faulty. MBTI stats indicate that N is the largest MBTI-related contributor to standard, academic-related aspects of "intelligence" — and by a substantial margin — but introversion is the most significant secondary contributor.

See this post for more — including a large study on the types of gifted adolescents.

Can you point us to any respectable sources for your conclusion that NPs are the most "gifted" foursome?
A Synthesis of Research on Psychological Types of Gifted Adolescents - SENG

i remember actually finding the document this narrates.
@Anon Pervathon

I can't even brag about my IQ, I don't know the results and I was maybe 5-6 when I passed it. It's all blurry memories !

High IQ doesn't mean you're gonna succeed in life, most highly gifted children end up not living to their potential.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Also I think that when they say "introverted", ENFPs and ENTPs could almost being considered introverts. I've read many times that Ne is somewhat introverted in aspect. It's about feeding off ideas from the "environment", it explains why those types are with INTP and INFP in this study.

I haven't completely read it, so i may be wrong and have wrongly interpreted numbers.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
If I were to hazard a guess, it would be ADHD, not necessarily giftedness since generalised results often fail when brought down to the individual level. Gifted children aren't put into centers for psychological disturbances for being gifted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts