Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got denied unemployment after I got myself fired from my last job (For more of a backstory see: http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/1163513-how-many-jobs-have-you-been-fired.html). Right now I'm trying to get my blog off full time and have been working on that. I have a decent amount of savings built up, but I'd love to not have to live on that and be able to earn enough money to pay the bills while maximizing the time I work on my blog.

I live in Austin, TX so there's a lot of gig economy stuff going. I also know there's a lot of Penny Hoarder sort of ideas where you can install a certain app and make $10 a month or stuff like that. Obviously, a lot of these things aren't worth my time and that's my main question to all of you.

What gig economy things do you do and/or what are other non-job related ways you earn money? Around how much money do you earn from it and how much time and effort do you have to put into it?

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
I live in Austin, TX so there's a lot of gig economy stuff going. I also know there's a lot of Penny Hoarder sort of ideas where you can install a certain app and make $10 a month or stuff like that. Obviously, a lot of these things aren't worth my time and that's my main question to all of you.

What gig economy things do you do and/or what are other non-job related ways you earn money? Around how much money do you earn from it and how much time and effort do you have to put into it?
I don't do it anymore but I used to do Swagbucks. Earned a lot doing surveys. (If you consider maybe 25 bucks paypal credit for a week or two of working here and there a lot.) My lifetime total for working surveys and stuff was about 125 bucks before I lost interest in doing them. Not a huge moneymaker but not bad for just doing surveys. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/AliceH5 here's my referral link if you want to give it a try. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Besides that some people seem to have luck with temp agency jobs. i've never been placed at a temp agency but i hear good things about it.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't do it anymore but I used to do Swagbucks. Earned a lot doing surveys. (If you consider maybe 25 bucks paypal credit for a week or two of working here and there a lot.) My lifetime total for working surveys and stuff was about 125 bucks before I lost interest in doing them. Not a huge moneymaker but not bad for just doing surveys. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/AliceH5 here's my referral link if you want to give it a try. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
I've played around with Swagbucks. It just didn't seem worth my time unless I could automate it. I was looking at making $1500-2000 a month so $25 a week doesn't come close, but it might be something to look into.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think what makes gig economy jobs like uber and such is their low barriers to entry, but they cost more than they pay.

·
Registered
Peter Petrelli
6,170 Posts
Are you good at, programming, web design, ui/ux design, 3d modeling or art?

If so, seek businesses that could use your services

If not, do you have reliable transportation, and believe that you can keep it?

If so, there's several things you can do. You can try uber/lyft if your model is new enough, or you can try food delivery to businesses and hotels. You can also deliver groceries for the elderly or infirm

Another thing you can do if you have a vehicle or access to public transportation is cleaning houses or offices. Just contact offices for office cleaning or advertise house cleaning. You can also do babysitting or pet sitting.

If you don't have that, you can take stock of everything you have and sell everything you haven't used or worn on let go. If your local library has a printer you can look up public domain 3d models and maybe sell products on etsy or eBay.

If you live in a place w a nice porch, you can also have a garage sale
Look up the cottage food laws and see if you can sell snacks, otherwise you can sell prepackaged snacks. It it's southern hemisphere, and hot, like Popsicles, if Northern hemisphere and cold, hot cocoa or instant coffee

That's all I can think of for now

Reactions: PowerShell

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you good at, programming, web design, ui/ux design, 3d modeling or art?

If so, seek businesses that could use your services

If not, do you have reliable transportation, and believe that you can keep it?

If so, there's several things you can do. You can try uber/lyft if your model is new enough, or you can try food delivery to businesses and hotels. You can also deliver groceries for the elderly or infirm

Another thing you can do if you have a vehicle or access to public transportation is cleaning houses or offices. Just contact offices for office cleaning or advertise house cleaning. You can also do babysitting or pet sitting.

If you don't have that, you can take stock of everything you have and sell everything you haven't used or worn on let go. If your local library has a printer you can look up public domain 3d models and maybe sell products on etsy or eBay.

If you live in a place w a nice porch, you can also have a garage sale
Look up the cottage food laws and see if you can sell snacks, otherwise you can sell prepackaged snacks. It it's southern hemisphere, and hot, like Popsicles, if Northern hemisphere and cold, hot cocoa or instant coffee

That's all I can think of for now
Lots of good suggestions. I'll see what works with this and maybe try one or two. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts