Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so normally, I wouldn't give crushes birthday gifts or anything, for that matter.

But, she's my co-teacher, she got me a little something for Christmas, and she's helped me out with getting materials prepared for next year, so this is going to sort of be a "happy birthday" and "I appreciate you" gift -- all wrapped in one.

I know y'all are extremely practical, and I know she LOVES coffee, so I was thinking about getting her a coffee grinder, a really good coffee bean, and a stapler (her current stapler has been broken). I'm going to write a note with it, explaining how I appreciate her and how I tried to make the gift as practical as possible while keeping in mind one of her favorite things in this life.

I think the emotion I want to get out of her is an "awwww......this guy is the sweetest/cutest" without being thrown into that deadly zone of "he's such a good friend."

Thoughts? Good idea or not so much? Doing too much?

Si is such an enigma to me.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I hate practical gifts :p

If my _________ is broken, I'll go out and buy a new one. I don't want somebody to go out and buy one for me.

I want somebody to buy me a gift that touches my HEART. Something subtle. Something that shows they really know me as a person.

The little boy who lives next door to me is the best with giving gifts. On my birthday he got me (well, he had his mom get me) a big bunch of flowers that were dyed super bright colors ("Because you always wear really bright colors!") and a jug that is meant to make iced tea ("Because you always drink it whenever you come over to our house!") Isn't it amazing what little kids pick up on? (He's an ISFP). It was the best gift ever.

I love homemade things the best. Those really are the best gifts. Aforementioned boy also love to make me Rainbow Loom bracelets and drawings which just make my heart melt...

Like if you got this girl a picture of you and her hanging out together and put it in a nice frame with the word "FRIENDS" on it, I bet her heart would just melt to pieces. I'd probably cry. LOL

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Is this the teacher you have a crush on, but who told you to back off a bit?

If so, be careful what gift you choose.

If it were me, I'd give her something pretty that reminds you of her taste. (What does she wear? What colors does she like? What does she keep on her desk?) Get her a little trinket or something cute to sit on her desk. We're really not that practical. ;)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the teacher you have a crush on, but who told you to back off a bit?

If so, be careful what gift you choose.

If it were me, I'd give her something pretty that reminds you of her taste. (What does she wear? What colors does she like? What does she keep on her desk?) Get her a little trinket or something cute to sit on her desk. We're really not that practical. ;)
Kind of, but then she is flirting with me harder than ever right now. Not to say we aren't acting professionally, but it's definitely not a case of her getting "cold and formal."

Is a coffee grinder too practical? She's into coffee, I got her coffee beans as well. Apparently, ground up coffee loses 40% of its aroma and flavor.

Also, wrote her a note. Pretty much thanking her for allowing be to have such a huge role in her classroom, how I admire her, and how I believe that she has found her calling with teaching. I kept it sweet, but nothing asking her to hit me up or anything of that nature. I tend to side with the advice of "let her come to you. If she's into it, she'll make sure it happens."

I'm curious of whether I should be a little looser in the letter, but I feel as if an ISFJ would just melt after reading it.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds very nice. :)
not too friendy? my fear is coming off TOO friendy.

Again, I usually would NEVER give a gift to a girl I "like," but this one kinda earned it.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool!

Her bday is the twenty-second of this month. I got the cookbook as well from the link above (will replace stapler. It cost $5, so who cares, and it just SCREAMS her name). I'm not going to even bring up her birthday, and I'll tell her that I have it under her desk and not to open it until she gets home.

I will post her reaction, but that's not for another 3 weeks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
A coffee grinder sounds like a great gift, to be honest. I love practical gifts. Especially ones where the giver has done their research to know the stuff I'm in dire need of =) I'm a sucker for a handmade gift too, or anything having to do with FOOOOOD!!!

Reactions: SharpestNiFe

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A coffee grinder sounds like a great gift, to be honest. I love practical gifts. Especially ones where the giver has done their research to know the stuff I'm in dire need of =) I'm a sucker for a handmade gift too, or anything having to do with FOOOOOD!!!
Yep. She mentioned a few times how she loves to cook. I feel as if she's intimidated by me in that realm though (my dad is a self-taught chef who has been doing it for 45 years, and I've been cooking pretty intricate meals for myself since I was 12 years old, half my lifetime -- it's tough for me to find people my age who can outcook me).

Soooooo I got her a cookbook. Actually, the exact one in the link from a previous post in this thread. The whole "love" and "hugs" thing just SCREAMS her name.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@lizw47 @johnson.han.3 @angelcat @Zen Lizard

Thanks for your responses!

So here's the thing: I'm still going to give her the gift because a) I want to AND b) I think she deserves it.

HOWEVER, she has really detached herself lately, I'm getting no indicators of interest, and I think she is ACTUALLY into her best friend (caught her looking over at him over and over again, caught him looking over at her over and over again. Something definitely amidst. They work together, so that should be fun/interesting).

I just don't see it working out, unfortunately. Last day we work together, I'm going to show my gratitude, shake her hand, walk away.

Also, I get a feeling her best friend is either an ESTP or an INFJ (thought ESTP for a while b/c says things like "I like movies where I don't have to think (i.e. action movies)", but he's incredibly talented with words, poetry, seems a bit ambiverted and awkward, so I don't know. He being possibly an ESTP and my being a mere INFJ felt like the kiss of death.

ALSO (gonna get some ish for this), I come across as an alpha kind of guy. I noticed that her ex was very beta, and this guy also comes off as very beta (walks with a slouch, very passive in a sort of "not sure of myself" kind of way). Ultimately, I just don't think I'm her type.

I've done the whole "change who I am" to get a girl to like me before, and hell, even succeeded. But I'm just too tired to do that again.

C'est la vie, friends. Never been so attracted to an ISFJ before, but I'll stay around the ISFJ forums, juuuuuuustttttt in case :)

Reactions: Zen Lizard
1 - 13 of 13 Posts