Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last thread kind of fell by the wayside and I still feel like a dog chasing its own tail trying to figure this all out myself so I thought I'd give another thread a shot. Any help is much appreciated and I'm happy to answer further questions.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I took a few tests for fun about a year ago and got INTP on most of them, the description seemed close enough so I ran with it. There was always a bit of nagging doubt though and since I decided to try and really understand the cognitive functions I'm even more doubtful that I'm actually an INTP. I'm having trouble figuring out my true type though (or if my doubt really is justified) because a lot of descriptions I've come across are either way too abstract to actually try and apply to myself, contradictory, stereotypical, or I can find myself relating to some degree to all the functions. I'm sure the latter is somewhat expected but it makes it hard for me to narrow down which functions I naturally prefer when I can think of examples for all of them. I think IxTJ is most likely as I'm a bit more on the Te/Fi axis but I'm still unsure and Ni/Se vs Si/Ne is throwing me for a loop.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Hmm.. a lot, I think. Knowledge and competence are probably top priority. I've been known as "the smart one" my whole life and I see no reason not to live up to that as my intelligence is actually something I'm very proud of. I'd like to go to a good university abroad, hopefully find a career that I'm really good at and enjoy. Ideally it'd be a well paying career as well because unfortunately money = security these days and I do have rather expensive/picky taste with certain things. I grew up with money so it's never been something I had to worry about and I'd rather not start. I want a nice house, nice car, nice clothes, etcetera. I also want to work for it myself though. I don't feel comfortable being dependant on someone else forever. I'd like to say I want a family but that generally involves children and I've never had an interest in having children. A committed relationship and a few pets would be nice. A good friend group too. I want to be seen as intelligent and proud of what I've accomplished because of it, comfortable with who I am and what I have, and secure in my chosen relationships mostly.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I don't think I have any really great examples for this as I've actually been in quite a slump due to illness for a while, unfortunately. I guess recently I felt pretty good after finally registering in some more school classes and actually doing really well in them. I was worried I wouldn't be good at anything anymore since I've been out of it for a while. Can't really complain about a 99% average though can I.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Having my intelligence challenged in any way, not knowing what to do or what's expected of me, drastic changes, feeling like I don't understand something as well as I should, not being able to remember something, feeling unproductive or unsuccessful (which unfortunately I do a lot), being physically unattractive, getting a vibe that someone I care about likes someone else more than they like me, being awkward in social situations. Not necessarily in that exact order.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Pros and cons and how I feel about it mostly. If it's something that could directly affect people I care about I'll take that into consideration but I don't generally worry about "people" in the broad sense.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
What's expected of me on the project and what is its point I guess. Is there a specific way I have to do it? How can I do the best job? How can I make my work memorable? Control of the outcome would definitely be nice but I don't need 100% control, I prefer a slightly background role to be honest. Brains behind the scenes kind of thing.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
We went to Venice Beach while on vacation in California this week, that was quite fun. I love the ocean but I don't live anywhere near it so it's always exciting for me to actually see it. Managed to spot a dolphin and sea lion too! I didn't realise they come that close to the shore. Also aren't dolphins usually not alone? Standing in the waves was fun too until I realised I didn't think about how I'm going to get the sand off my feet. Sorry to whoever had to clean out our rental car.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
A bit of everything honestly. I don't think you can fully understand something if you only come at it from one angle. Facts are good but they don't fully resonate unless I understand the principle behind them. On the flip side theory without any evidence doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I'm quite a visual learner I think. I prefer to go through source print material myself rather than having it read out to me or something, and videos/photos/diagrams/charts really help solidify whatever fact or theory it is I'm trying to understand.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Depends on the context. My bedroom is an absolute disaster and sometimes I can overlook or forget things but if it's important I'm generally on the ball. My work is always organised. My iTunes is more organised than my life and I really don't understand people with messy desktops? I have a tendency to pick up on details someone else has missed too. I'm very thorough when I need to be and double check a lot.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Both. I probably try to pick up on the principles first and then find supporting information and adjust my understanding of said principles as information allows.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
The latter. I can stand up for others when I feel it's really necessary but I generally think everyone can take care of their own business. As long as I'm not doing anything that goes against what I believe I'm pretty live and let live. Maybe they don't want to belong to the group.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Generally think before speaking, prefer one-on-one.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I need to know where I'm jumping before I leap. Action and words are both important.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Hmm... really depends on the situation. If it's a very close friend and their idea of a night out is a movie and I haven't gotten out in a while I'll probably agree and record the show for later. If it's someone I'm less close with or their idea of a night out seems busy and exhausting I'll pass off an excuse and watch my show.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I'm a master of procrastination and avoidance. Self pity and guilt are common, usually as a result of said avoidance. I can get very passive aggressive and snippy/bossy with people if I'm extremely stressed and they won't leave me alone, particularly if they're the source of said stress.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Oh boy. Lack of intelligence/common sense is a massive deal breaker for me. I don't like close-mindedness either. Any willful ignorance just doesn't make sense to me. People who are too outwardly emotional or have no boundaries. People who have no opinions or thoughts of their own. People with zero regard for rules or instructions. Unreliability. Disloyalty. Inauthenticity. Pettiness. Arrogance is a massive turn off. You know those people who pride themselves on being assholes because they delude themselves into thinking they're intellectually superior because they have "no feelings" and "hate anything mainstream"? Yeah, let's cut that crap.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Whatever my main interest/hobby is at the moment mostly. I don't think there's anything I really truly hate talking about as long as it's with the right people.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Social requirements I guess? I mean I'm definitely not unnecessarily rude or anything but I'm not overly outgoing. I keep to myself or with close friends mostly. I'm not really sure what else to say since obviously I don't pay attention to it.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I actually just set up a Johari window thing recently to ask people. Intelligent, witty, logical, kind, introverted, self-conscious, quiet, observant, friendly, caring, brave, clever, dependable, helpful, modest, patient, trustworthy, and warm were all things they chose. One friend yesterday told me her favourite thing about me is that I always tell it like it is. She also told me once she'd be scared to fight me if we weren't friends which threw me off a bit. I don't think anyone would ever describe me as being unintelligent, reckless, disloyal, outgoing, rude.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Depends on my mood that day I guess. Am I at home? At home I'd probably just sit on the computer or watch a movie or read a book or something else quiet. A day trip somewhere or a concert would be fun. Maybe go out for dinner.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Introverted perceiver (procrastination, avoidance) who is Fi (don't like when others are overly emotional, question #11) and Te (external objective facts i.e. nice house, car, clothes, job). ISFP or INFP. ISTJ or INTJ a possibility since I haven't read that a J-type can't procrastinate or avoid.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Thank you for the input. I got a few comments about Fi in my last thread as well so I think it's safe to rule out INTP at this point. I don't relate much to ISFP/INFP profiles so I don't think I'm Fi dom though.

Anyone else have any more insights on how dom Si/inferior Ne and dom Ni/inferior Se manifest? I think that's where I'm stuck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.