Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I've been preparing on basically leaving everything behind and become a nomad.
No this is giving me several distinct challenges.

One of the biggest ones for me is my attachment to many of my posessions.
Like what do I throw away, what do I bring (scan/rip/carry), and what do I entrust to the goodwill of family.

I have found that several objects give me great grief in parting with it.
However I have also found that process cleansing, as in away I feel that the thing kinda posses me.
And by letting it go I'm freeing myself. Like some weight have been taken from my shoulders.

Anyone else have experience with letting stuff go?

Reactions: Kyo and BleaK

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've had my mind set in becoming a nomad for a while now. But before I can leave I have to take care of some personal health issues.
I've had a lot of experience with letting stuff go. I tend to give away material things freely to anyone even if they're not close to me. But with more personal things I tend to give away to closer people in my life. For people that aren't so close if they show the slightest hint of interest, i ask "You want it?" but not if it's too personal to me. For closer people if they show the slightest hint of interest I'll ask "You want it?" even if it's personal to me. Sometimes I'll hesitate and sometimes people will decline my offer which is fine with me. Doesn't offend me at all.

When i had set my mind in becoming a nomad and possibly settling down somewhere I made a conscious decision to not buy anything that might be too big to carry that I might get attached to. And anything that I DID buy, it had to be light and small. I made the decision to not get too attached to any items because i realize i might lose it one day and that would really affect me, especially if its practical and hard to get. I have a love for practical things such as knives, flashlights, bikes, watches, binoculars, backpacks etc.. Don't even get me started lol

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had my mind set in becoming a nomad for a while now. But before I can leave I have to take care of some personal health issues.
I've had a lot of experience with letting stuff go. I tend to give away material things freely to anyone even if they're not close to me. But with more personal things I tend to give away to closer people in my life. For people that aren't so close if they show the slightest hint of interest, i ask "You want it?" but not if it's too personal to me. For closer people if they show the slightest hint of interest I'll ask "You want it?" even if it's personal to me. Sometimes I'll hesitate and sometimes people will decline my offer which is fine with me. Doesn't offend me at all.

When i had set my mind in becoming a nomad and possibly settling down somewhere I made a conscious decision to not buy anything that might be too big to carry that I might get attached to. And anything that I DID buy, it had to be light and small. I made the decision to not get too attached to any items because i realize i might lose it one day and that would really affect me, especially if its practical and hard to get. I have a love for practical things such as knives, flashlights, bikes, watches, binoculars, backpacks etc.. Don't even get me started lol
Yeah it is about the attachment.
Yeah and practical stuff is twice as hard to let go of.
Cause you think, but what if I need it?
@Type B
I'll think I'll bring my cows and camels with me.
Might need to barther for a wife or something where I'm going. :p

Reactions: BleaK

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a rule for myself: anything that I haven't looked at or haven't used in the past two years is stuff to be thrown/ given away, unless it is very very important to me. I feel good getting rid of stuff.

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a rule for myself: anything that I haven't looked at or haven't used in the past two years is stuff to be thrown/ given away, unless it is very very important to me. I feel good getting rid of stuff.
I know it is like you have gotten rid of some daemon or something.
Every piece of stuff ties you down in some way.
And it is only when it is time to move on you realize it.

Many of the things I own that I find it hard to part with, they come with some sort of hidden unrealized ideal.
I think it is partly an Enneagram 9 thing mixed with Ni.
I had this initial ideal of a potential with the item, and parting with it is kinda giving up on that ideal.
Cause I basically zoned out and forgot about it. So there is pain of remembering all the lost ambition.

Dunno if this strikes a chord with anyone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had an INTJ friend go by the 3-month rule. Anything not used in 3 months goes. VERY VERY few exceptions... sculpting tools not used because he didn't enroll in the class again but expects to, will of course stay.
He's succeeded so far in his own nomadic life... he was quite intent on it.

Another part: get rid of anything that has low-use & any sentimentally. If you don't want to let go, make yourself anyway. Clears a lot of stuff out of life, tangibly & mentally, perhaps a little extreme for many people.

I have the idea for a nomadic lifestyle in the future, so I'm prepping myself as well... just to keep my options open & have less to lose/stress about. What gives me the most perspective is going backpacking for a week or so & seeing what I miss. Usually it's not much, so I clean out my room accordingly. Of course, still living in the city DOES limit the cleaning out process.

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol
Thanks for the pep talk.
I'm getting there, but it is harder than I thought.
Mostly cause I have a family that second guesses everything they find out I'm throwing away.
Their antics tires me, just cause I have to expend more energy to deal with them.

Lots of stuff have gone, or have been given away.
Today I discovered a very sentimental piece.
My initial instinct was to guard it. Will look upon it again tomorrow.

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fyi when you become a nomad, remember that guns dont kill people, people kill people. AKA, bring weapons for protection...
Lol
Well I'm an martial artists. Maybe I'll bring a short stick.
Guns attract unwanted SJ attention and knives.....
well they are good offensive, but poor defensive weapons.
I'm not looking for trouble so a stick will do nicely. :)

Reactions: Rainbow

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
If you ever learn to airbend, PLEASE inform me how. xD

Anyway, when you say nomad, do you mean actually leaving your town and traveling around from place to place, without anything?

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you ever learn to airbend, PLEASE inform me how. xD

Anyway, when you say nomad, do you mean actually leaving your town and traveling around from place to place, without anything?
Pretty much.
I'm tired of SJs telling me what life is about. ;)

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn...I'd love to know how this whole thing goes, but...no internet in the nomad world. :(

How do nomads eat? Just catching whatever?
Well you might have heard the term "digital nomad".
I'll bring my laptop, so no worry I will be able to communicate with whomever I please. :)
Tell you what I will make a blog and link it in my sig whenever I get it rolling.

Lol catching whatever. XD
Well I don't think I will venture that far into the bush. :p
At least not as a permanent thing.
I will earn money trough playing poker and just enjoy myself.
I'm sure I will visit some store or similar to get food. ;)

Reactions: Antipode

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Well you might have heard the term "digital nomad".
I'll bring my laptop, so no worry I will be able to communicate with whomever I please. :)
Tell you what I will make a blog and link it in my sig whenever I get it rolling.

Lol catching whatever. XD
Well I don't think I will venture that far into the bush. :p
At least not as a permanent thing.
I will earn money trough playing poker and just enjoy myself.
I'm sure I will visit some store or similar to get food. ;)
Haha, so you'll be the modern nomad. Awesome. Be sure to make that blog--it'd be pretty cool. It might even make some money. ;)

Reactions: Inveniet

·
Registered
145 Posts
So lately I've been preparing on basically leaving everything behind and become a nomad.
No this is giving me several distinct challenges.

One of the biggest ones for me is my attachment to many of my posessions.
Like what do I throw away, what do I bring (scan/rip/carry), and what do I entrust to the goodwill of family.

I have found that several objects give me great grief in parting with it.
However I have also found that process cleansing, as in away I feel that the thing kinda posses me.
And by letting it go I'm freeing myself. Like some weight have been taken from my shoulders.

Anyone else have experience with letting stuff go?
*le sigh* U__U yeah. It can be hard, but always think that its for the best. It's better to have someone there with you. Like my mom is a ESTP and man let me tell you. She has no attachment to any object, and as much as it hurts to let stuff go as she tosses things into the trash I silently weep knowing she's doing it for my own good. You could also give it to things like Salvation Army, knowing that it will be going to those who need or want it. C:

Reactions: Inveniet

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, so you'll be the modern nomad. Awesome. Be sure to make that blog--it'd be pretty cool. It might even make some money. ;)
I have no idea if money will be connected directly to my blog. Not any plans for anything like that. Just want a place to ramble about this thing so it becomes more real for me and not just a pipedream. Here is the address if you find it exciting. :p norwaygoodbye | Traveling around playing online poker.

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*le sigh* U__U yeah. It can be hard, but always think that its for the best. It's better to have someone there with you. Like my mom is a ESTP and man let me tell you. She has no attachment to any object, and as much as it hurts to let stuff go as she tosses things into the trash I silently weep knowing she's doing it for my own good. You could also give it to things like Salvation Army, knowing that it will be going to those who need or want it. C:
Heh yeah Se doms and things... XD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.