Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easily do you give up on a challenging puzzle, mathematical or not? Is giving up an option for any of you?

·
Banned
644 Posts
No, I do not give up easily. Time to complete a puzzle is irrelevant to me. For example, I've been working on the rubik's cube for a year or so with no help whatsoever and I'm very close to solving it. Throughout the year, I've noticed the progress my mind has made in order to find the solution.

It may be a tempting and relieving to give up, but it is rewarding and intellectually-developmental to solve it through on your own. If I did give up and cheated, I would feel like a cheap failure in the end and go nuts over myself. And as a person who can foresee consequences, I always do what's ultimately best for my mind and spirit.

Did I mention that the fun stops when you give up on a puzzle?

Reactions: Thu and wafflecake

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I never give up. Although I may lower my goal, for example say I played a soccer game and I wanted to score 3 goals. After playing for a few hours I haven't scored a single one. Then I might say "well, if I just score one that will be fine" and then once I score I can be done, but I have to accomplish something in the end.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I give up all the time but only after I'm convinced I could finish if I felt like it. Once the answer is in sight, actually finishing the puzzle isn't that important to me. The intellectual challenge disappears. Finishing a problem after you've figured out how to solve it can be pretty tedious. I'm satisfied just knowing HOW to solve the puzzle.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I give up all the time but only after I'm convinced I could finish if I felt like it. Once the answer is in sight, actually finishing the puzzle isn't that important to me. The intellectual challenge disappears. Finishing a problem after you've figured out how to solve it can be pretty tedious. I'm satisfied just knowing HOW to solve the puzzle.
lol! Not me. Once the answer's in sight, I cannot be pulled away until I conquer the thing in its TOTALITY.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I will give up fast on anything that I feel is trivial. It could be a relationship full of games, stupid class, or even a job without room to grow. I have dropped classes just because I wasn't feeling it. Long term goals like getting a new house or getting more degrees I would never give up on. I may put them off...

I love good games, but puzzles bore me sometimes. The puzzles like how can I make more money this week, market myself better, or the proper answer to national issues I find much more interesting.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The hard part is not giving up when something intrigues me. I remember reading up on existentialism for two or three months and thinking about it nonstop until I thought I had some semblence of the idea in its totality before throwing it into the crevices of my mind.

Reactions: HandiAce
1 - 8 of 8 Posts