Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you on the global warming band-wagon? Maybe you should do some research before you decide what to believe. Here are 4 videos to kick start your own investigation. I'll show you both sides of the argument. The first 3 short videos argue against the idea of global warming. The 4th video is the HOME documentary, a beautiful (clever and perhaps misleading) full length HD film showing the destructive forces of mankind... I must remind you to do MORE research before making a decision.
Please be serious with your comments. Don't waste everyones time with your apathy.

YouTube - ‪Global Warming Hoax, Planned in 1961‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Truth About Global Warming‬‎

YouTube - ‪Global Warming is a Fraud Created to Fund a Global government‬‎

YouTube - ‪HOME (English with subtitles)‬‎

·
Registered
91 Posts
I personally don't know what to say about global warming. I don't worry about it but that doesnt mean I dump oil in to the water supplies and hope polar bears will die. I think being green is good whether or not there is a crisis. More or less each day I wake up I know there's another day and don't try to overwhelm myself with something else to stress and worry about.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I believe it is happening. The effects are very obvious here where our whole country gets the same weather. As I've got older I've seen the floods get worse year by year, I remember the year where tens of thousands of people died across Europe due to the sheer heat, I've seen it rain for literally five seconds and then suddenly stop within a second as if it never rained at all and somebody turned on the shower. It's all really quite creepy and sinister.

I understand how people can believe such an occurence is natural, but whether or not it is or not does not explain or excuse that the carbon dioxide levels pumped out are interfereing with a very delicate balance. Here, the autumn/fall even seems to begin earlier these days (I saw a couple of fall leaves for the first time a little while ago) the plants grow really past, we are invaded by foreign insects (I came home from work yesterday to find perhaps dozens of flying ant-like creatures in the hallway) and the heat is perhaps close to suffocating at times. All this has occured within the last ten years or so. This is a country which has built a reputation on bad teeth, green fields and lots of rain. I wonder if one day these will go (well probably not the bad teeth anyway.)

Also I worry for myself because I suffer from vitiligo and my skin burns a lot in the sun. It would really suck for the vitiligo to develop skin cancer if the temperatures here one day become tropical.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I couldn't really form any real "intelligent" opinions on global warming, as I haven't really experienced it or actually seen it happen myself. I've only listened to other peoples' opinions on it and even with all the information I still really can't come to any for sure conclusions for myself. I do believe though, mankind is bending nature, we're causing unbalance. If you add weight to one end of the teetor totter you cause the other end to rise until one end hits the ground.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I urge everyone here to visit my thread about global warming in the debate forum.

Personally, I can't see how anyone could believe global warming is a myth. Watching what is taking place on earth at this very moment should be enough proof. Expansion of Hadley Cells for instance. To try to disprove this obviously occurring and extremely dangerous phenomenon is to be an accessory to the eventual destruction of this beautiful planet we inhabit.

When I watched Home, it just added to the sadness I already feel concerning the fate of our planet. Global warming, overpopulation, political corruption; it just never seems to end. I wish we could do something about it, but unfortunately, the people who have a say only want to get rich.

To add another point, there is just simply no reason why we shouldn't take the initiative to stop this problem. Even if in ten years we find proof that it is, indeed, a natural-occuring phenomenon, wouldn't it be worth it to break our dependence on oil-a substance that will eventually be completely depleted? Wouldn't it be worth it to create jobs and breathe cleaner air? Wouldn't it be worth it to clean up our earth and not destroy millions of beautiful trees? There is no reason why we should be debating whether it is natural or man-made. We should be talking about how best to keep our planet and its inhabitants in the best possible condition so that our descendants don't have to deal with a shit-hole of a planet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I couldn't really form any real "intelligent" opinions on global warming, as I haven't really experienced it or actually seen it happen myself. I've only listened to other peoples' opinions on it and even with all the information I still really can't come to any for sure conclusions for myself. I do believe though, mankind is bending nature, we're causing unbalance. If you add weight to one end of the teetor totter you cause the other end to rise until one end hits the ground.

Thanks for the post OP.

I went through stages with the global warming stuff.

At first, I was apathetic and then I dated a guy who was absolutely absorbed by it. I took on his sentiments and began doing some reading on my own. I came to believe there was a crisis and felt very anxious/depressed for a year (as did he). After we broke up, I was not only depressed by losing him, but also because I felt like I was going through this "crisis" alone.

Months went by and I talked to more people. One day, I felt like an anvil had fallen on me because I realized there were many sides to the issue -- and I was very consistently only reading material from one side. So the long search for the truth began.

I even changed careers so that I could get a better understanding of how the world worked around me, from a perspective that I hadn't considered before.

Without getting too deep into the story, I will end my post on this -- I now believe that the world is way more complex than organizations/media/liberals/conservatives/naturalists/scientists/historians/etc make it out to be. There is a lot we don't know. What we think we know are for highly specific sets of conditions. And many times, human biases come into play.

·
Registered
437 Posts
either way it doesn't effect me, and even if i did buy into it if i gave my all to prevent global warming i'm only one human being. so whether i " go green" or not, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
oh and by the way i don't need to research it cause i never trust sources. i just don't believe it, and if i'm wrong about it well, um i still don't care.:crazy:
i know i know i just wasted everyone's time with my apathetic pointless and possibly incoherent ramble about my pointless views on a pointless subject but oh well you directed this thread towards INFPs.
don't believe everything you read, including stuff i write.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would you assume I hadn't done any research, and why is this directed at INFPs? Oh, and i'd hardly call a couple of youtube videos 'research'.
Whoa, easy there buddy, i did not accuse you of anything. Also, i did not say that these "couple of youtube videos" should be credited as research. They only serve to get the thinking gears in motion... a starting point. Do you understand? This is personality cafe, and i am an infp, i'd like to hear what other common minds think of with this subject.
If you require a full-out bibliographical account of my 27 years of life research on global warming and statistics, then you are sadly in the wrong place... This is a place for common ground, so next time keep that in mind before jumping on the defence. : )

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You shouldn't discredit an infp directed conversation. If you are not interested then don't get involved. OBVIOUSLY if i'm an INFP and I am interested in this discussion, then I have the right to get other INFP's involved in this discussion. I do not agree or disagree with global warming... I only want to hear what other like-minded individuals have to contribute to this topic.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I wish global warming would happen faster, I'm freezing my arse off here!

Reactions: BunBurry

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the post OP.
Without getting too deep into the story, I will end my post on this -- I now believe that the world is way more complex than organizations/media/liberals/conservatives/naturalists/scientists/historians/etc make it out to be. There is a lot we don't know. What we think we know are for highly specific sets of conditions. And many times, human biases come into play.
Yes, exactly my thoughts on the subject. The conditions play a huge part.
Awareness abolishes apathy... the awareness of infinite forms of context.

I thought that global warming would be an easy platform for this type of discussion... the questioning of our mainstream influences... but i see that open mindedness is hugely offensive to the PC crowd.

I feel like i should put a disclaimer or a "may be offensive" warning on my thread posts now... i hate making people sour! : (

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm sorry, I was in a bad mood and being defensive, I didn't mean to be so quick to act.
But that is a very good idea of yours, present all sides of the argument and let like-minded people discuss their reasons.
Thank you!
And I think Global Warming is happening for sure, I'm certain humans are ruining it, but I'm not sure how much si caused by us.

Reactions: BunBurry

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe it is happening. The effects are very obvious here where our whole country gets the same weather. As I've got older I've seen the floods get worse year by year, I remember the year where tens of thousands of people died across Europe due to the sheer heat, I've seen it rain for literally five seconds and then suddenly stop within a second as if it never rained at all and somebody turned on the shower. It's all really quite creepy and sinister.

I understand how people can believe such an occurence is natural, but whether or not it is or not does not explain or excuse that the carbon dioxide levels pumped out are interfereing with a very delicate balance. Here, the autumn/fall even seems to begin earlier these days (I saw a couple of fall leaves for the first time a little while ago) the plants grow really past, we are invaded by foreign insects (I came home from work yesterday to find perhaps dozens of flying ant-like creatures in the hallway) and the heat is perhaps close to suffocating at times. All this has occured within the last ten years or so. This is a country which has built a reputation on bad teeth, green fields and lots of rain. I wonder if one day these will go (well probably not the bad teeth anyway.)

Also I worry for myself because I suffer from vitiligo and my skin burns a lot in the sun. It would really suck for the vitiligo to develop skin cancer if the temperatures here one day become tropical.
This is a natural occurance; both ice caps were completely melted before the last ice age, and then they were reformed. The difference is that our pollution is not making things any better this time around... it's happening faster and it's probably going to be more disasterous for the eco system than before. There isn't much we can do to stop it, but discussing it is a great way to learn about and cope with the effects of global warming at a humane level.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish global warming would happen faster, I'm freezing my arse off here!
HAHAHA
When i first heard about the threat of global warming, i was around 5 years old. I live in Canada and it can be cold here, so i remember thinking and being excited about the idea that Canada might become a tropical paradise! LMAO

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry, I was in a bad mood and being defensive, I didn't mean to be so quick to act.
But that is a very good idea of yours, present all sides of the argument and let like-minded people discuss their reasons.
Thank you!
And I think Global Warming is happening for sure, I'm certain humans are ruining it, but I'm not sure how much si caused by us.
Hey, thats okay! : ) I'm like that too sometimes. I really appreciate your reply! I'm sorry if I was at all misleading to you. I seriously do have good intentions with this discussion, and I know you have good intentions with your opinions aswell.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I personally don't know what to say about global warming. I don't worry about it but that doesnt mean I dump oil in to the water supplies and hope polar bears will die. I think being green is good whether or not there is a crisis. More or less each day I wake up I know there's another day and don't try to overwhelm myself with something else to stress and worry about.
That sounds all right to me! I am doing my best to live green and that in itself is my reason not to worry; I know "I" am fine.
Nobody can change the world, but sombody can change themself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey, thats okay! : ) I'm like that too sometimes. I really appreciate your reply! I'm sorry if I was at all misleading to you. I seriously do have good intentions with this discussion, and I know you have good intentions with your opinions aswell.
I know you have good intentions. :) And no, it wasn't misleading at all, I was just influenced by external stress at the moment and took everything as an attack. Wow, that's embarrassing... I'm sorry again, thanks for being so understanding. :)

I'm certain mankind's selfishness is affecting the climate in negative ways, but the extent is fuzzy to me. Maybe nature could be doing most of the natural climate changes, but it's definitely not just "made up". Well, I'm not very sure, but it's definitely been odd here in FL.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything IS an opinion, right my friend? Nothing said is nothing repeated. Plain truth. I'm glad you haven't come to any conclusions. Live it through to the end that way and go by intuition rather than conclusion. Anyways, this seems to be the way my infp-type mind works... and it's oh so exciting!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts