Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrote this in the midst of procrastinating study for a political geography course, insert thoughts, questions and whatnot in the comment section below!

After searching for hours for any scientific study concluding negative side effects or health issues arising from GM foods, I have concluded that the 'GM is bad' hooplah that has been rotating the world lately is a load of horse radish. If you can provide me with a credited study explaining the negative impacts of GM foods please do, because I am interested.

As far as I know, GM foods are injected with specific genes taken from mutated forms of the plant to improve certain qualities of the plant itself. For example, through selective breeding some farmers were able to isolate a specific phenotype of plant that naturally produced a pesticide, they isolated the gene in the plant that does this and injected it into a different plant (probably one with more production) and it actually worked in giving the new plant the same properties as the pesticide producing one. These aren't chemical pesticides, they are NATURALLY FORMED WITHIN THE PLANT ITSELF.

From this I have concluded that not only are GM foods good, but they should not be getting the hate that they have been lately. The only downsides that I could possibly think of would be the monopolization of the seed industry since these new 'super crops' are just so much better than the old fashioned ones and the rumor of non seed producing plants, which I couldn't find any information on either. You could always selectively breed your own vegetables to get the same results; but seriously, who has time for that anyways?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I can't say I'm strongly educated on the subject or have any definitive opinion. However, I am skeptical of anyone that does have a firm stance one way or the other because at the end of the day, we just aren't sure whether they are safe or not.

I'm sure you can point me towards some studies that may suggest otherwise, but realistically commercialization of GMO's came along in the 90's or so and obviously took years for wider spread adoption. It's still fairly "new" in that respect, but it's far reaching to really make a positive conclusion in terms of that relative to the lifespan of the average person.

Take a look at other examples such as tobacco. Do you know how many years it took for studies to prove that smoking was harmful to you? Do you also know how many studies found it was completely safe? We shouldn't even have to delve into how some research studies get their funding.

Marijuana appears to be in a similar realm where studies are still underway to determine the short and long term effects. Right now though, we appear to fixate on the positives, but down the road it's really hard to say.

At the end of the day, we can't live in inherent fear which may prove to be unnecessary in the long run, but we may still exercise a reasonable level of caution. Would you be comfortable switching over to an entirely GMO based diet? I can't say that I am, but I don't mind mixing and matching.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I would rather wait and see if there are negative affects, and avoid them as much as I can for the time being. For all we know, GMOs could be perfectly harmless, but equally they could prove to be deadly. I'd rather not be the guinea pig in this one :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't say I'm strongly educated on the subject or have any definitive opinion. However, I am skeptical of anyone that does have a firm stance one way or the other because at the end of the day, we just aren't sure whether they are safe or not.

I'm sure you can point me towards some studies that may suggest otherwise, but realistically commercialization of GMO's came along in the 90's or so and obviously took years for wider spread adoption. It's still fairly "new" in that respect, but it's far reaching to really make a positive conclusion in terms of that relative to the lifespan of the average person.

Take a look at other examples such as tobacco. Do you know how many years it took for studies to prove that smoking was harmful to you? Do you also know how many studies found it was completely safe? We shouldn't even have to delve into how some research studies get their funding.

Marijuana appears to be in a similar realm where studies are still underway to determine the short and long term effects. Right now though, we appear to fixate on the positives, but down the road it's really hard to say.

At the end of the day, we can't live in inherent fear which may prove to be unnecessary in the long run, but we may still exercise a reasonable level of caution. Would you be comfortable switching over to an entirely GMO based diet? I can't say that I am, but I don't mind mixing and matching.
You'd have to be a student at my place of study to have access to the studies unfortunately, but just think about it realistically. GM foods havn't had anything extraordinarily un-natural done to them. They are the exact same as a regular plant. You are putting plant, into plant. Almost the same way a person needing a kidney would ask a relative to donate one to him.

In my opinion, all the hype over GM foods was caused by a few un-educated hippies who heard the word genetically modified and assumed the worst. Not judging, I used to be one of those hippies, I'm just a little more educated now.

People need to realize that not everything on the internet is true, and the spread of viral ideas like this can and will happen more in the future. If people took the time to look up the credible facts and actually research it themselves rather than listening to what their buddies or latest blog told them, we could save a lot of trouble fighting for worthless causes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts