Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:laughing:

I'm pretty sure I have a veritable net addiction at this point but I don't care. I find interacting with people on the internet so stimulating, but not overwhelming like it can be in real life. Sometimes in person I just get freaked out, and I don't know what to say to people I don't know very well. I also don't feel like I'm being "shouted down" by my extroverted counterparts because I'm not aggressive enough in getting my point(s) across.

God bless the internet...

·
Registered
836 Posts
There are definite benefits to discussions online such as being able to form a coherent point, and add evidence to your case.

That said, I think nothing beats real life debates as far as actual emotional cues and the natural give and take that occurs.

Online seems a pale shadow of that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Talking to people about stuff that really interests me is easier on the Internet. I have no problem talking to people in real life, but I feel like what I want to talk about might be boring to them, so I end up talking about what they want to talk about most of the time.

It might be an illusion on my part, it might not be. But the fact is, when you are talking to people on the internet, people can just ignore what you are saying if they don't find it interesting, without outwardly rejecting you, so it is easier to deal with.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd rather form a complete, coherent point; one that makes sense and is worded just perfectly. Participating in online discussions allows me freedom of time in order to sort my thoughts and come up with something meaningful at my own pace. Contrast that to the social dynamics of real life, and it's no wonder at all that INFJs prefer the internet.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I agree, there are much more interesting conversations happening online because we can pause and think and this brings out our introverted strengths to the surface. I believe there is a thread in INTP forums titled "do people find you more attractive online than in real life" with many introverts answering yes to that one :crazy:

On the down side I sometimes feel like a robot interacting online, not much real feeling involved. But it is a good media for exchanging insights and information.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I prefer speaking over the internet as it gives me time to write out my thoughts clearly and intelligently. I stumble around like an idiot when put on the spot, much to my chagrin. I act much more like an INTJ over the internet, which is probably due to the fact that there's no Fe getting in the way (although I do love Fe when you are dealing with bubbly people).

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I completely agree.
I've actually shared some of my secrets to people I trust online, and posting my problems and asking for advice here =].
This is all stuff I would never do in real life unless I completely trusted the person and knew them for a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts