Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've suffered from anxiety and depression for most if not all of my adult life. I always remember saying I wanted to see a therapist, hell I even have it written down in one of my old diaries from highschool. I don't know why I never bothered doing it. I was never well off, so I think I just didn't want to burden my parents and once I got a job it seemed like a luxury working with minimum wage. Well, my current job offered five free sessions and so I thought why not take this great opportunity!

Idk, I feel proud I've finally done it, but I'm scared. I have been through some things that even I try and deny messed me up, so I worry that getting in such a bad headspace might negatively affect me.

I'd like to hear from you lovely people on what I can expect and how to prepare for some possible skeletons coming out of the closet. I know five sessions might not help me, but I want to stop being so afraid of the world and finally take it head-on and let go of the hurt I've been through.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I went briefly years ago when I was in college. A few sessions. Kind of had a perfect storm of things happening in my life & it was necessary. But boy was it hard to get myself in there, my pride really got in the way. So you already crossed that hurdle, good for you! I have nothing but positive things to say about it. It's cathartic to get some of the stuff out & to actually verbally say it. :) I hope it goes well & is a blessing for you! Good luck!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I haven't seen a therapist, but two different psychologists (not at the same time, I just had to move town and so had to change), on and off, for several years. When I was younger I also saw a child psychologist. I also have a psychiatrist I have to see. I was diagnozed with GAD and psychotic depression, so maybe we can relate to each other a bit, I don't know how severe or not your symptoms are or what you went through exactly, but here is how I reacted when I first saw a psychologist/psychiatrist, it was during my first hospitalization in a mental facility. I wouldn't say I was scared, actually not at all, just quite unsure on how to act and what to say. At the same time I wanted to be thruthful and honest with myself, but on the other hand, I didn't feel comfortable talking about everything. I was sent there by the demand of my mental health nurse, so being there wasn't really a joy for me, and I thought that if I said everything, I might maybe never get out. Don't do that, it's the only "advice" I could give you. You are there, so feel free to say all that is on your mind, and don't be scared. My experiences with those people haven't been very nice, but I'm in another country, and it's different for everyone. So just go for it, and normally, after the first time, the first session, you should already feel a little better. You'll be able to anticipate things, you will not be facing the unknown.

I really hope those five sessions can do something positive for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes me feel so much better, thank you! And I am the same, very prideful, but I know holding in my sadness does more harm than good, so that's why I'm finally taking that step.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry you did not have the best experience, but I do thank you for your insight. I hope you've received the help you wanted in the end.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I'd like to hear from you lovely people on what I can expect and how to prepare for some possible skeletons coming out of the closet. I know five sessions might not help me, but I want to stop being so afraid of the world and finally take it head-on and let go of the hurt I've been through.
It all depends too heavily on the therapist themselves tbh. I wasn't helped by the first two therapists I went to, but the third was a god send ... and I swear my life would still be a mess without his help so it's really hit or miss. The first was horrible and she diagnosed me with Bipolar after the first session and put me on heavy anti-psychotics which made matters worse. The second acted less like a therapist and more like someone I was having casual conversations about myself and they never seemed to help at all. She didn't allow me to progress with specific tools I needed --- which were introduced to me by my third, who used a mix of mindfulness training, CBT and very mild medication to provide me with the breakthrough I needed. After our 10th session or so, he literally told me that it seems like I'm doing a lot better and have the tools necessary to take care of myself, and that he's available for more sessions, but I don't particularly need them, and he turned out to be right. I've been using his training for 5 years now with minimal issues.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that you're there to receive and accept help, not to have it forced upon you. Some therapists know this distinction. At the same time, my advice is to go in there with an open mind and be as honest as is absolutely possible and to talk freely. A therapist is less of a helper, and more of a guide with regards to them pointing you towards things you have to do yourself to improve. They don't fix your problems as much as give you the appropriate knowledge and tools they believe you require to become high functioning.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It took me years to find a therapist I liked, most didn't really listen to me and dismissed my concerns. It actually turned me off to therapy but recently I reached a point where I was like I'll try again and this one actually listens to my concerns and isn't dismissive, though she talks too much and i've only had one real session. And she actually is giving me stress reduction exercises, like I'm to practice deep breathing. Talking's great but it's never helped me feel better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts