Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From the hills of Hollywood hailed one of the most bizarre yet intriguing characters in WWE history...

...Goldust.

The character of Goldust was first introduced to the WWE Universe in 1995. A Superstar renown for playing mind games with his opponents, Goldust dressed, spoke, and acted abstractly. He quoted lines from major motion pictures in his monologues. He engaged in what some would consider to be a kind of "homoerotic" psychological warfare with his opponents. His entire appearance was quite reminiscent of an Academy Award statue, decked in gold from head to toe. His entrance theatrics made many wonder if they were actually watching a Hollywood film unfold, as the picture would go to widescreen, "Shattered Dreams Productions" and "24 Karat Pictures" would appear in bold, and the arena would be showered with golden confetti.

The Goldust character was, by WWE standards at the time, quite avant-garde and ahead of its time. Goldust is remembered fondly by members of the WWE Universe as a unique individual who would not hesitate to play a mind game or two with an adversary.

Here are some of the intriguing vignettes that aired during the early days of the Goldust character.

And now it's time to attempt to type the unorthodox personality of the man "whose name you'll never forget..."

...the one and only Goldust.​

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Haha, keep those WWE type-threads coming!

Goldust. Very difficult, this one. Dustin Runnels/Rhodes strikes me as potentially an ISFJ. But Goldust? He went through so many shifts in persona that he'd have to be split up, much like **** Foley.

Original Goldust: I kinda wanna say INTJ. Definitely an N character. His focus on psychology and manipulation suggests a Thinker-Judger to me. There's no emotion to Goldust. Everything is meticulous and cold, the archetypical mastermind puppeteering his opponents into place. When his trickery failed, Goldust often panicked and lost so he doesn't strike me as the adaptable Perceiver. I'm not sure about E or I, but I'm gonna say I because he strikes me as an Ni-Dom.

The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust: Not too different to his original persona, but much less psychological and more about attention-seeking. I'm really not sure of his type, though. It seemed the whole premise of the character was that he didn't know who he was and had undeveloped ego/identity issues making him hard to type.

Goofy Tourettes Goldust: ENFP. He became way more scatty and sensitive, particularly with Booker T.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no emotion to Goldust. Everything is meticulous and cold, the archetypical mastermind puppeteering his opponents into place. When his trickery failed, Goldust often panicked and lost so he doesn't strike me as the adaptable Perceiver. I'm not sure about E or I, but I'm gonna say I because he strikes me as an Ni-Dom.
Very astute observations. It seemed to me Goldust had a cool head until something aggravated or hurt him, such as when his plans were foiled, or when, for instance during his feud with Triple H and Chyna in 1997, that Marlena got into the scuffle and wound up getting hurt. I can remember him being very emotive around that time when Marlena would get caught up in the crossfire.

Loved your take on it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Very astute observations. It seemed to me Goldust had a cool head until something aggravated or hurt him, such as when his plans were foiled, or when, for instance during his feud with Triple H and Chyna in 1997, that Marlena got into the scuffle and wound up getting hurt. I can remember him being very emotive around that time when Marlena would get caught up in the crossfire.

Loved your take on it.
Thanks!

I forgot about that period, when he was feuding with HHH. He was a Face then so was showing a more "human" side. I'm not really sure what to say of his persona then. He was much less manipulative and, whilst still "bizarre", seemed much more relatable and sympathetic. I guess that was the point of the whole angle with Marlena getting attacked by Chyna; to show him as a caring human being underneath the weird persona.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moss Icon said:
I forgot about that period, when he was feuding with HHH. He was a Face then so was showing a more "human" side. I'm not really sure what to say of his persona then. He was much less manipulative and, whilst still "bizarre", seemed much more relatable and sympathetic. I guess that was the point of the whole angle with Marlena getting attacked by Chyna; to show him as a caring human being underneath the weird persona.
It's interesting how a number of WWE characters over the years start off really bizarre and up-in-space, and then over a period of time they start to become more humanized and down-to-earth.

I can think of a number of examples. The Undertaker, for instance, when you compare him from his first few years to around 1997-1998 when he started to show a more human side. I can remember at WrestleMania 13 when he was in the main event for the WWE Championship against Sycho Sid, a couple of the commentators including Shawn Michaels were talking about him and they wondered about him having a heart in his body, to which another replied, "oh, there's a heart in there, and it's a class act." I believe Shawn was the one who said that.

Kane is a bit like this too. It seemed as though the amount of flesh he started to show through his costume was directly proportionate to the amount of humanity his character exuded. I love how he's been able to switch between a comedic and a dramatic character so effortlessly over the years. A very dynamic and versatile character.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts