Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else a good chef but bad baker?

I know what the culprit is. I have a serious aversion to measuring. When I follow a recipe, I'll usually measure the first go-around, so I know what it's supposed to taste like. After that, I skip using a recipe and skip measuring. I just judge off how it tastes. Its like carrying around the framework of a recipe in my head, but building anew each time.

With baking, eyeballing an amount doesn't cut it. My results are pretty hit-and-miss. And despite the shoddy track record, I don't have much motivation to measure, unless the end product is for something important. Which is why the ENTJ is the baker in the house.

Does anyone else relate?

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
A little bit. I bake much less frequently because it is Applied Chemistry and as such measurement is rather important (though I would also point out that understanding the relationships and proportions between the active ingredients is just as important). Then there's also the waiting ...

I really like to cook because I feel as if I have a lot more artistic control over what I'm making. I haven't studied molecular gastronomy or anything like that, but I do have a good sense of proportion and doneness* and I'm also the kind of kitchenhand who doesn't feel content unless he's mucking about with what he's making somehow, to the point where even a simple sear is sometimes an exercise in patience.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
mmm, what are we baking? I worked in kitchens for like 7 years. Pretty good food maker guy.

Baking takes forever, so I usually don't but...

If it's meat, gotta have good amount of fat, added or marbled, and baked like it was a crockpot. 300 degrees for like 5 hours for say, a brisket.

Bread, that's tricky, but generally, double the butter.

I prolly shouldn't even be posting in here, ha, I don't bake that much. Never baked a cake. Even my mom, who's been baking longer than I've been alive has pies come out bad sometimes.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmm, what are we baking? I worked in kitchens for like 7 years. Pretty good food maker guy.

Baking takes forever, so I usually don't but...

If it's meat, gotta have good amount of fat, added or marbled, and baked like it was a crockpot. 300 degrees for like 5 hours for say, a brisket.

Bread, that's tricky, but generally, double the butter.

I prolly shouldn't even be posting in here, ha, I don't bake that much. Never baked a cake. Even my mom, who's been baking longer than I've been alive has pies come out bad sometimes.
Haha extra butter? Good man:happy:

(And yes, its typically breads/pastries that are my hangup. Things that I can't tweak midway through.)

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
Haha extra butter? Good man:happy:

(And yes, its typically breads/pastries that are my hangup. Things that I can't tweak midway through.)
With pastries you have to get the layering right while you're rolling the dough. Otherwise it won't be flaky. I don't find bread so hard to make, but waiting for yeast to burp ... and burp some more ... is really tedious. Good thing you get to knead the fuck out of it in between. :tongue:

Ah violence to flour, water, and yeast. :tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With pastries you have to get the layering right while you're rolling the dough. Otherwise it won't be flaky. I don't find bread so hard to make, but waiting for yeast to burp ... and burp some more ... is really tedious. Good thing you get to knead the fuck out of it in between. :tongue:

Ah violence to flour, water, and yeast. :tongue: :tongue:
I've never thought of baking as violent before. Good mental image:laughing:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm I never tried baking before. I've always wanted to take up some cooking classes but I couldn't find time.

But anyway, practice makes perfect :tongue: Successful people often failed many times before finally succeeding, and what makes them succeed eventually is because they never gave up. And of course, this applies to whatever we do in life, including baking.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I can relate.

Cooking came naturally. Unless it's something that I must know the trick (what spices to use to get the right aroma or what cut of the meat for what), I can make something rather easily (especially using what I already have in the kitchen).

since 2013 I got into baking banana bread. I used the same basic recipe to make cup cakes, ginger bread, green tea bread; basically sweet and substantial rectangular cake without using a lot of oil and sugar (If I can substitute, I use apple sauce and Splenda brown sugar). I measure but not exacting. My finished products were pretty decent every time.

Anything that requires yeast I haven't tried even though I bought a bottle of yeast from Amazon.

My mother is an expert in using yeast to get the desired density and result. She's also good in fermentation process. She's an ISFJ. Being exact comes naturally for her.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cookies are my limit in baking, as they're usually pretty quick. But bread and pastries I've always shied away from.

My favorite thing to make is soup. It's so easy to tweak, it's hard to mess up, and there are endless flavor combinations. I rarely make the same soup twice.

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Master
1,886 Posts
@Windblownhair

OMG haha I do the exact same thing with baking and cooking. I've tried to make cookies on several occasions and had 1 out of 4 attempts be successful. In the words of my mom (the baker of the family), "You best stick to premixed recipies".

However on the cooking side of things I have a really good sense for seasoning, texture and cooking time. My dad has spent the majority of his life in food services so he's taught me a great deal about cooking. I really enjoy helping him cook supper as it gives me a chance to learn some skills for myself.

PS: I make really good smoked habanero beef jerky, so good that I have to tell people to not eat a whole bag in a sitting.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can relate.

Cooking came naturally. Unless it's something that I must know the trick (what spices to use to get the right aroma or what cut of the meat for what), I can make something rather easily (especially using what I already have in the kitchen).

since 2013 I got into baking banana bread. I used the same basic recipe to make cup cakes, ginger bread, green tea bread; basically sweet and substantial rectangular cake without using a lot of oil and sugar (If I can substitute, I use apple sauce and Splenda brown sugar). I measure but not exacting. My finished products were pretty decent every time.

Anything that requires yeast I haven't tried even though I bought a bottle of yeast from Amazon.

My mother is an expert in using yeast to get the desired density and result. She's also good in fermentation process. She's an ISFJ. Being exact comes naturally for her.
That recipe sounds awesome...any chance you'll share it? :kitteh:

Its true that some types are more naturally precise than others. I'd love to know which function(s) that entails.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
That recipe sounds awesome...any chance you'll share it? :kitteh:

Its true that some types are more naturally precise than others. I'd love to know which function(s) that entails.
I don't watch cooking shows or competitions. It may be obvious to deduce personality types seeing them in action. The creative chefs may be Ne-dom (the ones big on fusion). The ones adhere to tradition may be Si-dom, upholding and honoring the old world/ways. Se-dom may be good chefs, too, being very aware of the here and now and 5 senses.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I don't watch cooking shows or competitions. It may be obvious to deduce personality types seeing them in action. The creative chefs may be Ne-dom (the ones big on fusion). The ones adhere to tradition may be Si-dom, upholding and honoring the old world/ways. Se-dom may be good chefs, too, being very aware of the here and now and 5 senses.
That definitely holds true for my ISTJ dad, He holds onto the old ways and cooks some amazing french cuisine.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,276 Posts
With cooking, I just have to read the recipe and I'm able to do it. Or if it's something more elaborate I might have to watch someone do it once. And I always alter the recipe according to my tastes, like adding spices.
But with baking it's definitely hit or miss. I have this lemon cake, which I made once and it turned out great. And I wasn't following the instructions to letter. Second time I'm trying to make the same cake, I follow the instructions perfectly and I end up with a dried-up chewy mess. I don't know what I did the first time.. :frustrating:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.