Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a trip next week and expecting a lot of downtime. Not surprisingly, I love stories that have very deep character and relationship webs. What suggestions do you all have for a book to bring with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, being a hopeless book nerd finally comes in handy!

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (Actually, anything by him, but Going Postal I recommend especially)
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
The Hall of Best Knowledge by Fenwick
The Little Prince by Saint-Exupery
Speak by Anderson

And if you're one of those awesome people who don't mind graphic novels:

Watchmen - Moore
Tonoharu - Martinson
Scott Pilgrim - O'Malley
Shoulder-a-coffin Kuro - Kiyuduki
Death Note - Ohba

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey! Those are my favourite kinds of stories, too!

Lessee...three of my absolute favs are:
-A Tangled Web - L.M. Montgomery
-One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
-Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

All of them are character studies, more or less, especially One Hundred Years of Solitude. I highly recommend them if that's the kind of thing you go for.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Reactions: AgAu

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you don't mind female characters, try The House of Mirth. Lily really does think like an ENFP when it comes to people.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thank you everyone! I think you've given me a year's worth of reading material here. The only one on the list I've read is hitchiker's guide and I loved that one. I've picked one off the above to read on my trip, but I'm excited to read all these, keep the suggestions coming!

And yeah, I do love strong female characters. Discolsure - Michael Crichton one of my faves of all time. I didn't care too much for the movie though...

·
Registered
185 Posts
well how about something that will be just silly and frivilous and make you lol and pee your pants??? OMG
One for the money by Janet Evanovich... the whole series is OMG too funny (16 in the series now)

the Spellman files by Lisa Lutz.... crzy funny when you get into it (4 in the series now)

just had to throw those in... they are my total fun escape! gonna re read em all!! and laugh out loud on the bus! hahaha:tongue:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I wasn't going to name the books I picked out for the trip because I didn't want anyone to feel bad that I didn't pick theirs first (OMG that is so ENFP isn't it?). But this story was too good to pass up, so thank you for all the great suggestions and I have this list saved for future reference...

OK here's my story:

I went to the bookstore to get 'One Hundred Years of Solitude'. "oh yes, says the lady at the reference counter, an award winning classic! We use this one for our advanced studies class."

So then I ask for 'One for the money' by Janet Evanovich. Her face turns all quizzical looking... "Is that for a different person?" I really didn't want to explain, I just said, 'yes'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts